Is this normal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windwalker7

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I fired up the new OWB today. After about an hour I opened the furnace door to check the fire. Black sooty water started dripping out at the bottom of the door opening.

I'm assuming this is condensation or something from having a fire surrounded by cold water.

Is this normal?

I did have water circulating for quite a while without a fire to check for leaks in my plumbing. It didn't drip water then.

What stove are you burning?

Condensation from the wood is normal, its because wood has moisture in it that needs to be burned out so when the stove is off it will condensate all that moisture and turn into creosote and water.....are you burning really green wood? Make sure your wood is nice and dry, 15-25% moisture content is ideal.

Last edited:
Furnace is a Shaver 165.

I added the treatment chemicals to the water. the directions call to add chemicals to water, fire up wood burner and circulate water for about 10 hours.

After that I drain all the water and refill. Then I add other chemicals and I'm good to go until I send in a water sample next spring.

Anyway, I just put in a bunch of small stuff to get the fire started. It did rain earlier today and the wood was a bit wet. I just want the fire to last for the 10 hours without a bunch of hot coals.

I was just surprised to see that sooty water come out when I opened the door. Seemed like a lot. Maybe 2 cups full.

I fired up the new OWB today. After about an hour I opened the furnace door to check the fire. Black sooty water started dripping out at the bottom of the door opening.

I'm assuming this is condensation or something from having a fire surrounded by cold water.

Is this normal?

I did have water circulating for quite a while without a fire to check for leaks in my plumbing. It didn't drip water then.

It's normal, my shaver does the same thing. It's condensation mixing with soot/creosote. It will go away after a bit.

I was wondering the same thing...I fired mine up last week and was surprised to see the water come out of the door when I opening it the first time. It is already getting better.

On another note...how much do your Shaver's smoke? Mine seems to smoke real bad when I load it and it lasts for about 45 minutes then clears up. I think it's normal, but figured I may as well check with you guys to be sure.

what temp do you keep your shavers at? any boiling or steaming out the vent? Do you have chimney extensions on them?

I have mine at 160 right now and there is steaming and boiling at the vent sometimes. Thinking of dropping the temp to 150 and trying that.

I need a stack extension, but am having a hard time finding anything the right size. The stack is 5.5" OD and 5" ID and the stove pipe around here is either meant for 5 - 6" OD. I'm looking into having a stainless steel pipe fabricated at a shop down the road. I would like to be able to set the pipe into the existing one and have it go in about 16" or so for support. I want to go up at least 12' to help get rid of the startup smoke that seams to want to surround my house.

Have you guys done anything with the stacks yet?

I had two 4' sections of 6" stove pipe on mine, but within 1 week it was packed with creosote and choked my stove to the point I could only get 120*. I think my problem was the extension did not have a tight seal on the existing chimney. I might try 5" stove pipe so I can slide the extension inside the chimney to keep the roof of the boiler cleaner, and hopefully the chimney hotter.

I have't done anything yet but I am certainly considering it.

I read, on another thread, that it woulld be better to insert the extension so creosote doesn't run out all over the roof.

The odd size might make finding the right size difficult.

shaver 165

Hi all I have a 165 also and I put 2 - 2 1/2 ft section on my owb last year and it got built up with creosote. I had some wet and non season wood also, I read somewhere to burn some season pine in with that wood and it will keep the fire burning hotter and keep the creosote burnt down ?

I have't done anything yet but I am certainly considering it.

I read, on another thread, that it woulld be better to insert the extension so creosote doesn't run out all over the roof.

The odd size might make finding the right size difficult.

If the ID is 5", crimped 5" pipe should be able to be stuffed inside.

Hi all I have a 165 also and I put 2 - 2 1/2 ft section on my owb last year and it got built up with creosote. I had some wet and non season wood also, I read somewhere to burn some season pine in with that wood and it will keep the fire burning hotter and keep the creosote burnt down ?

I've been burning seasoned hardwood, but my heat hasn't been calling for much. I'm going to get a 5" to 6" adapter and put my extension back on.

I had two 4' sections of 6" stove pipe on mine, but within 1 week it was packed with creosote and choked my stove to the point I could only get 120*. I think my problem was the extension did not have a tight seal on the existing chimney. I might try 5" stove pipe so I can slide the extension inside the chimney to keep the roof of the boiler cleaner, and hopefully the chimney hotter.

will the 5" slide in and be stable? I was looking for about 12' of extension...that's why I am looking at the custom stainless pipe...it should last 10 years or so.....the cost is reasonable if figured on the 10 year life vs. the standard piping that I've been told only lasts about a year or two.

will the 5" slide in and be stable? I was looking for about 12' of extension...that's why I am looking at the custom stainless pipe...it should last 10 years or so.....the cost is reasonable if figured on the 10 year life vs. the standard piping that I've been told only lasts about a year or two.

Not sure, but I'm almost certain the original chimney is well 5" casing. What if you get a section of casing and either weld or couple it? What are you expecting to pay for the stainless?

I've got a 12' piece quoted for $175.

that seems reasonable. After thinking more about it, I may just stay away from the extension as I can't think of a good easy way to keep it clean and flowing. I think it really needs to be insulated pipe as the temperature is already low from passing through the water jacket. I'm still battling my steaming issue (which the manual says is normal) and my temp hangs right around 160*. I'll be installing my Ranco boiler controller/thermometer this weekend and play with the fan on/off temps. More questions...

How much do you guys have the blower door open?

Is everyone using the little water tank thermostat they provide?

How often do you clean your ash pan?

What type of shovel do you use?

Who is using the domestic hot water coil (DHW coil)?

Did you install it per their instructions?

How far is the run from the water DHW coil to your electric water heater and what size pex/ pump did you use?

My water heater is 80ft (1way) from my boiler and 1/2" pex (makes 210ft total including coil). My installer says the pipe diameter needs to be at least 3/4" (including copper coil) to work without eroding the copper from the high velocity from the large pump it would take. I've got a couple ideas to still use the DHW coil, but the install will vary from Shaver's recommendations:

When my OWB is running, water entering the electric water heater (WH) will be diverted to travel through the DHW coil to preheat prior to filling/ replenishing the tank. The WH will still have power and will maintain the temperature of the water inside the tank, but should use much less energy than heating water up from 50*. I'll install a small circulator pump on the lines running to the OWB to keep hot water in the line.

The other idea is to turn off, and valve out the WH during OWB operation and simply run all hot water demand through the DHW coil, then to the faucet, shower, etc. It will take a bit longer to get hot water to the tap, but I could still use a circulator pump to keep the lines hot, and an anti-scald valve for safety. The electric water heater only services the apartment above my garage, and my garage sink. Only 1 tenant in the apartment. My hot water is tied into my heating system. Any thoughts on these ideas?

I have mine open about 1 row...roughly 1/4 I believe.

I am...only been burning for 6 days now...seems ok.

getting ready to...

I can report back this weekend after I figure out what I like best

How far is the run from the water DHW coil to your electric water heater and what size pex/ pump did you use?

I am using the dhw coil and I did install it like they said to. Everything is working great so far. The wife loves the amount of hot water. My run is around 55' to the dhw. I used 3/4" pex with a taco 007.

I have to have mine open about 1/2 way to get the fire going good.

Yes I am but having troubles, have gone through 2 of them already.

I have only been burning 7 days and cleaned it today

I bought a little 20" ash shovel and bucket from a local Tractor Supply, the shovel works prettty good, can't get everything out, but does a good job

I'm using it and it seems to be working great

I did install per their directions, the ones on the internet, not the book they sent me it was backwards in the book they sent me.

How far is the run from the water DHW coil to your electric water heater and what size pex/ pump did you use? I used 3/4" pex and a Grundfos pump, it is about 100' one way, haven't run out of hot water yet!

Back