Is this poison ivy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got it right now. will spend pretty much the whole summer with it to one degree or another.
sounds like a good plan rb. as long as you don't let it touch you anywhere else all you need is gloves

In this particular case a product called VINE-X will do the job. For large broadcast coverage I use round-up @ the brush rate.

Cool! I will update this thread with "kill pics" after the PI is dead.:laugh:

One more thing. To be kind to the trash guys and other municipal workers. Bag the stuff up. I am not sure if it should go with the yard waste or regular waste. I would think it should go with the regular trash to prevent it from ending up in someones mulch. I could not find what Fairfax County recommends for proper disposal.

We killed some growing on the abandoned house when we bought the farm. cut the trunks (2 to 2-1/2 inches in dia) and painted the stumps. kept spraying the shoots coming up and had it all dead by fall. the following year my brother got a bad case of it from pulling the dead vines off the side of the house. they were bone dry.

We killed some growing on the abandoned house when we bought the farm. cut the trunks (2 to 2-1/2 inches in dia) and painted the stumps. kept spraying the shoots coming up and had it all dead by fall. the following year my brother got a bad case of it from pulling the dead vines off the side of the house. they were bone dry.

Good to know, but any time I handle it I will work as if it is radioactive material.

i had it once last year when I knew for sure I had not handled it. I remember being around it, but did not touch it with my hands. Two days later I had it on my arms, neck, and face. my theroy was it was on my shoelaces and I transferred it to my body?

I used to be able to handle PI with no ill effects. One day, my dad and I burned out a fencerow and I was on clean up duty. Inhaled a bunch of smoke and ended up with poison ivy under my arms, in my nose, down my throat, all over my legs, arms, face, in my ears, and other more private places. Had to go to the doctor and a few days of special baths. That stunk.

Now I get poison Ivy at the drop of a hat and if I get into too much have to go on Prednisone to get the stuff stopped. It will literally form new spots every few minutes if I get too much exposure.

Be careful.

if you have or get any open cuts/scrapes make sure they are covered real good. I got it systemically once while clearing around my tree stand and man does that suck. It started on my lower legs and arms but in two days every part of my body had it but my head and Little Pilsnaman. Went to the doc and explained where the ivy was headed, he gave me the round of steroids. While it never got to my "special place" it did take almost two weeks for it to go away.

Depending on how large the VINE is,,,,I would consider wearing gloves ,,then put a newspaper cover (plastic bag ) over it covering up your hand and arm,,then see if you can pull it up with the root. Poison Ivy is usually spread by birds eating berries and dropping the seeds.

Gloves

Make sure you were gloves that you can wash or throw away. I get it fairly easily and after wearing a pair of my father's old leather gloves I broke out bad on my hands and wrists. He told me later that he remembered pulling weeds with the gloves the fall before and thought he had seen some PI then.

Depending on how large the VINE is,,,,I would consider wearing gloves ,,then put a newspaper cover (plastic bag ) over it covering up your hand and arm,,then see if you can pull it up with the root. Poison Ivy is usually spread by birds eating berries and dropping the seeds.

I should have thought of that!!! I'm tossing out my bird feeders.:hmm3grin2orange:

Well, the vines that I sprayed are all pretty much dead now. That Brush-B-Gon works well!

Latest posts

Back