Is this spark arrestor restrictive? Pics included

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowcar281

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
EC933A1D-F5CE-4E5C-8ED6-24F242E3511B.jpeg 0E525B31-1B60-4BC6-8C82-F0B912186D0F.jpeg 89846EE7-F2B6-4364-A957-689C2D6C5E64.jpeg A50F4555-96E9-4F06-9358-AC8C24A297A1.jpeg Pulled the screen to check for any carbon. Looks super restrictive to me. Any real point of putting it back in? I only cut on my own property. The muffler is stock otherwise.

Here are some other pics of the saw, since everyone like pics. I bought all the stuff to use the mtronic air filter, while keeping the standard carb. Also added the wrap handle. 20” light bar with a carbide tipped stihl 3/8 0.50 chain.

Nice! As far as that screen goes, I was wondering if there were any small gains to be had without opening up the muffler. A few years ago I uncrimped another muffler, gutted it and opened up the exit hole a bunch. It didn’t really seem to cut any different but was ear splitting loud. So I ended up getting another stock muffler.

View attachment 680565 View attachment 680566 View attachment 680567 View attachment 680568 Pulled the screen to check for any carbon. Looks super restrictive to me. Any real point of putting it back in? I only cut on my own property. The muffler is stock otherwise.

Here are some other pics of the saw, since everyone like pics. I bought all the stuff to use the mtronic air filter, while keeping the standard carb. Also added the wrap handle. 20” light bar with a carbide tipped stihl 3/8 0.50 chain.
The screen keeps hot bits of carbon from flying out. It also keeps bugs and mud daubers from making a home in the muffler when not in use.

The opening from the muffler to the outside is a lot smaller than the area of the holes in the screen.

If you do accidentally start a fire it's possible that the law and insurance companies will find out that the spark arrestor was missing and that may lay more of the blame to you. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

I bought a used Husky 562xp last year, and the arrestor screen had been removed. The screen is located on the top of the muffler. The saw did great, but after using it a while, I noticed that the chain brake lever was starting to melt right above the screen port. I put a new screen in it, and it stopped the melting problem. I didn't notice any difference in performance with or without the screen. Don't know about Stihls, though.

Mud Daubers. They get into everything .

This what I found in the snorkel of my 4 wheeler that just would not run much above idle.

snorkel (2017_06_30 17_28_35 UTC).jpg
There are also smaller mud wasps that can stop up even the smallest orifice. Anything left outside is fair game, at least where I live.

There are videos, that show maybe a second improvement in a same cut. Damn saws are loud enough as it is. I'll keep my hearing and spend another second cutting. Most of my time is spent moving, splitting and stacking, so a second doesn't really make any difference when all is done.

Nice! As far as that screen goes, I was wondering if there were any small gains to be had without opening up the muffler. A few years ago I uncrimped another muffler, gutted it and opened up the exit hole a bunch. It didn’t really seem to cut any different but was ear splitting loud. So I ended up getting another stock muffler.

Put the screen back on. You dont want to be “the guy” that starts fire because you tried get a wee bit more power out of your saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Euro MS362's have no spark arrestor screen: it's there because is mandatory in some areas of the US. If you don't cut wood in those areas you can do away with it no problem.

I also see no reason to fiddle with the MS362 muffler: that thing is already as open as it can be... and noisey. Of course it's possible US saws use different mufflers, but in that case just slap on a Euro-spec muffler and be done with it.

Latest posts

Back