Is willow oak good for anything?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okie294life

Okie294life

Brush Popper and Amateur Tree Butcher
. AS Supporting Member.
I’ve got a willow oak in my front yard, looking to take it down. I’m looking to burn some of it as firewood, and use some for lumber possibly. If I can get it cut into 8’ sections and to the mill, I have a mill locally that will cut lumber on halfs. The tree service that I called to drop it for me says that it smells like piss when it burns and a lot of people don’t like it for that reason. Anyone had experience with this wood and know?

ElevatorGuy

ElevatorGuy

Yota’s and John Deere green!
. AS Supporting Member.
I’ve seen the piss thing posted on here about cutting it but not burning. Either way, That’s crazy and it’s an oak. Hard to beat when it comes to firewood.

Anyway I’m surprised a mill would even mess with a single yard tree. What’s that going to cost you?

Okie294life

Okie294life

. AS Supporting Member.
I’ve seen the piss thing posted on here about cutting it but not burning. Either way, That’s crazy and it’s an oak. Hard to beat when it comes to firewood.

Anyway I’m surprised a mill would even mess with a single yard tree. What’s that going to cost you?
They’ll mill it on half’s, but I have to take it down and take it to the mill. They take half the lumber. They will do 8’ sections so I think I’ll cut it that way and load it on my trailer to deliver. If not it’s going to be firewood for someone with a wood stove more than likely unless I can season that nasty smell out.

Okie294life

Okie294life

. AS Supporting Member.
They’ll mill it on half’s, but I have to take it down and take it to the mill. They take half the lumber. They will do 8’ sections so I think I’ll cut it that way and load it on my trailer to deliver. If not it’s going to be firewood for someone with a wood stove more than likely unless I can season that nasty smell out.
That’s kinda what I was thinking. A lot of wood sap doesn’t have the most pleasant odor. I can’t imagine after being seasoned how the smoke could still smell like piss. I’ve got a fireplace no reason not to rick this $&@! up if I can’t get lumber out of it.

Latest posts