Is your heating season over?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no fires recently. MIL wants to use propane so we don't get cooked out. Dang.

Still a low fire to drive off the chill all day, and two full loads at night.

Running Box elder, sassafrass, and some really evil Elm rounds I forgot to split last fall.

I'm to the point I would like to be done, but can't walk past the fire without planing the next one still.

I hate to break the rythm of things once going I guess.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Still burning here in East Central Minnesota. I just checked and it’s 28.2º outside and 74º in the house. My OSB reads 159º so I’ll be good for the day. I’m using the CB 5036 OWB and burn my scraps and mostly hot coals during the day and a few chunks of oak at night. Thanks to C List, I just connected a FREE used forced air furnace in to the craft room that is attached to the garage so I’ll be burning for a few months to keep things dry out there.

With the help from many on this forum, I’m now heating my house and the garage with the OWB. I also have DHW in the house and with luck, I plan on using the OWB to warm up the water in my stock tank next winter.

We used about 4 ½ full cords of wood and expected to use about 8 cords but my wood was well seasoned so my wood consumption was about half. Yep! I’ve learned a lot in my first year with this OWB.

FYI… The furnace was picked up last fall for free. I took out all the guts and installed a 150,000 BTU HWX. The top duct will run through the rafters in the garage and heats the 6x8 kiln room and the 2 car garage. A side vent heats the 14x24 craft room. Total cost – was for the HX, valves and pipe. The propane heater that is attached to the outer wall would cost me $150.00 per month is propane. Needless to say…. I love my Central Boiler..

It never really ends all at once for me. I light up more sporadically as we get near the end of the season, but the occasional fires continue into early May. It's 22 here this morning and overcast, so I'll keep one going all day. I'm so fat on wood right now that there is no inclination to conserve it, so if it's even a little chilly, I'm lighting up.

At the milder end of the season temps, a sunny vs cloudy day is often the difference between lighting up or not. If the sun is out all day, then there is enough solar gain in the house that a fire is not necessary, while an overcast day at the same outside temp will warrant a fire.

Nope. not done here in Norwalk either. Went through 3 cords with a small stove this year. Needed 3.5.

Was scrapping for dry wood to burn 2 weeks ago...then 70's came & I got lucky... then 20's came back past 3 nights....and I got lucky again that the Elm I split 4 months ago is dry enough to get going.... They were 20 inch pieces so I had to cut off 4 inches for my stove!

I'm burning small butt end pieces right now. Bucket loads. LOL

I love this Mini Ice Age & Pole Reversal!

Global Warming = "Global" guys..NOT LOCAL!

And Global Warming means melting of cold ice which in turn gives us cooler weather. It's a giant fluctuation between record breaking events. This summer we'll see 90's & 100's probably. Sucks.

It never really ends all at once for me. I light up more sporadically as we get near the end of the season, but the occasional fires continue into early May. It's 22 here this morning and overcast, so I'll keep one going all day. I'm so fat on wood right now that there is no inclination to conserve it, so if it's even a little chilly, I'm lighting up.

At the milder end of the season temps, a sunny vs cloudy day is often the difference between lighting up or not. If the sun is out all day, then there is enough solar gain in the house that a fire is not necessary, while an overcast day at the same outside temp will warrant a fire.

We seen temps in the 20s this morning as well,Ill keep my OWB running almost another month here,we got 8 showers a day here...so low cost DHW is nice...i cant see firing once temps are warm though...

Well, i hope im done. Its 56 this morning. I havent had a fire in a week. Its cool at night, and hot during the day. I hate building a fire ever night, so im done unless it gets back down to 30 or so.:)

Hard to believe. Capron, IL is in Northeastern Illinois. Seems like winters lasted longer than that when I lived 40 miles southwest of there.

Does anyone remember April 15, 1987?

no i dont remember.what happened April 15,1987?

Stove went cold last year on June 30. Definitely later than usual, but occasional early/mid June fires are typical. Sometimes for quick heat or to chase away the rawness of a dank rain.

So ole Beulah's gonna be eatin wood for the foreseeable future. Usually after May, I'm burning cookie cuts, splitstump trash, bastard wood from the castaway bin, twigs that fell on the lawn over the winter, and punkpine that was too knotty to make kindling with. Gets the oven quick enough to bake my potatoe and the range plenty hot to boil my noodles.

Back