ISA has a $200 recertification fee now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillweed

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I did'nt pay anything last time my Certification renewed.....weak! So it's 30 CEU's and 200 beans. Now I have to waste the whole day reading their ridiculously overpriced workbooks for the CEU's, and send them $200......is it worth it?

Maybe you think it should be free. $200 bucks dont mean nothing. If you dont like it, quit. One's participation and dedication and involvement is reflected. Biz wise, Not having it is like a dime holding up a dollar.
Jeff

ISA is out to make money as well as educate. It's a business. I just renewed and already have 29.5 CEU's by taking free online quizzes both on the ISA site and Len Phillip's excellent site: http://on-line-seminars.com.
On Len's site you can take 10 quizzes every other month for 5 CEU's. That works out to 30 CEU's in a year and it doesn't cost you a penny. Len is a great guy.

I'm sure I did'nt pay anything last time my Certification renewed.....weak! So it's 30 CEU's and 200 beans. Now I have to waste the whole day reading their ridiculously overpriced workbooks for the CEU's, and send them $200......is it worth it?

I'm slowly groing tired of the ISA. Do you actually think people search the ISA site to look for reputable companies and arborists (never had one customer in 10 years say thet found us on ISA website)...Most customers don't have a clue what it means and many people claim to be ISA cert that are not anyway. The ISA wont police that themselves either...they expect us to do that as well.

I don`t need to be forced into learning, I enjoy doing it on my own. Everything about them is overpriced, always has been.

I've found better info on free sites as Sunrise suggested.
ISA = biggest money grab in the industry.

Last edited:

Then they have the nerve to tell you how to use your cert logo in your advertizing...:check:

WOW.....Now you have to agree to a "code of ethics", I am just wondering what ethics am I agreeing to?? oh well, this thread should get interesting soon!

LXT................

Do you actually think people search the ISA site to look for reputable companies and arborists (never had one customer in 10 years say thet found us on ISA website)...Most customers don't have a clue what it means and many people claim to be ISA cert that are not anyway.

Yeah really. I think that over the past three years only one potential client per year has even asked if I am certified (which I am not). Worse yet, I have seen many instances where individuals who tout their ISA cert status have done very poor work while hiding behind their credentials.

It is a shame that certification cannot verify a person's level of dedication to high-quality tree care.

I have been on the fence about whether to go and get the cert, perhaps I'll think about it a little more.

WOW.....Now you have to agree to a "code of ethics", I am just wondering what ethics am I agreeing to?? oh well, this thread should get interesting soon!

LXT................

yeah just got that email this morning...

The ISA Certification Board recently approved and adopted the ISA Certified Arborist Code of Ethics and Ethics Case Procedures. These Certification Program policies establish appropriate and enforceable professional conduct standards, and explain the minimal ethical behavior requirements for Certified Arborist credential holders.

As a condition of continued certification, certificants must accept and abide by all ISA Certification Program policies, including the Code of Ethics and Ethics Case Procedures.

The ISA Certification Program requires that you review and complete the following: the Certificant Ethics Representations and Agreements; and, the Certificant Certification and Agreement/Release Authorization provided in the link below. These documents must be reviewed and signed within thirty (30) days of the date of this notice. All Certified Arborists and candidates are responsible for understanding the terms of these ethics policies.

Demanding me to sign and return within 30 days!!!

Last edited:
I don't understand why you send in money if you are not happy with the service. It is pretty simple....if you don't like it, don't support it.

I see the value because many municpalities see the value in hiring a CA.

I see the value because many municpalities see the value in hiring a CA.

Yes this is true, but also totally poitless. As someone else said I have met many ISA certified arborists who couldn't ID a tree let alone climb one.

People study, learn to pass the test, then never read a book again for three years. Then they shell out hundreds of dollars to go to conferences and basically "buy" more CEU's without learning a thing. Most conferences either suck or are a such a drunkfest that you don'r remember any of the good info.

Yes this is true, but also totally poitless. As someone else said I have met many ISA certified arborists who couldn't ID a tree let alone climb one.

People study, learn to pass the test, then never read a book again for three years. Then they shell out hundreds of dollars to go to conferences and basically "buy" more CEU's without learning a thing. Most conferences either suck or are a such a drunkfest that you don'r remember any of the good info.

Someone else said. Who?

I know CA's that can't climb but ID, evaluation, root health, insects and pests are their stong points. Have to be, they can't climb.

Also have known two CA's that were uncomfortable over 30' or so. You should have seen their work on ornamentals, or orchard trees, absolutely brilliant.

Buying CEU's? By travelling to conferences? You'd have to have more money than brains to go that route. Explain to me how people buy CEU's this way, I want examples and proof.

Conferences suck or are a drunkfest? Sounds like you would know.

RedlineIt

Someone else said. Who?

I know CA's that can't climb but ID, evaluation, root health, insects and pests are their stong points. Have to be, they can't climb.

Also have known two CA's that were uncomfortable over 30' or so. You should have seen their work on ornamentals, or orchard trees, absolutely brilliant.

Buying CEU's? By travelling to conferences? You'd have to have more money than brains to go that route. Explain to me how people buy CEU's this way, I want examples and proof.

Conferences suck or are a drunkfest? Sounds like you would know.

RedlineIt

Spoken like a true ISA nut hugger.

People sign up for conferences, sign in, then take off and drink or gamble. Saw plenty of people do it first hand last week in Niagara Falls. Many people try to keep up with the Jones's and have more money than brains. Also they like the time away from their wives!!

I hired an ISA cert. arborist a few years ago who was calling crimson king norway maple a red maple, and didn't know the difference between an austrian pine and a norway spruce. You can fail the tree i.d portion a few times and still go back and rewrite it until you pass. Many people simply study for the exam, not for the purpose of becoming a better arborist.

Last edited:

Why is recert such a big expense for you? Maybe because you spent 3 years goofing off. Getting legit CEU's is not huge expense, or you can go the cheap route getting sketchy info like that online article site.

I get a LOT of quality referrals from the ISA site, which costs me nothing. Lots of idle beyotching here, again and again. :deadhorse:

Why is recert such a big expense for you? Maybe because you spent 3 years goofing off. Getting legit CEU's is not huge expense, or you can go the cheap route getting sketchy info like that online article site.

I get a LOT of quality referrals from the ISA site, which costs me nothing. Lots of idle beyotching here, again and again. :deadhorse:

I should say that there are a lot of legit isa certified arborists out there, but just as many bad ones. Sometimes a long winter can make a man sour.

While most residential customers don't/won't look up the ISA web site to find an arborist, about half the municipalities in the Greater Vancouver area now require permits for any trees removed over 8". They are required to have a Certified Arborist prepare the application.

You don't have to like it, but that is becoming the norm.

I see arboriculture heading in two directions. There is arboriculture as a trade, (same as utility arborist), where you will have to become a journeyman (going through an apprenticeship program. This is already in the major discussion stage in BC, with a residential/commercial arborist trade certification within a couple of years.

The second is arboriculture as a profession, where education, planning, diagnosis, analysis, prescriptions will be the primary focus.

For the naysayers, I'll use an analogy I've used before. A structural engineer doesn't have to know how to weld, run a crane, rig loads, install rivets, pull cables, but without his design and signature/stamp, a bridge doesn't get built.

I get a LOT of quality referrals from the ISA site, which costs me nothing. Lots of idle beyotching here, again and again.

Well, you have to figure though, you are always getting something or knowing something nobody else here has ever gotten or knows about.

Spoken like a true ISA nut hugger.

People sign up for conferences, sign in, then take off and drink or gamble. Saw plenty of people do it first hand last week in Niagara Falls. Many people try to keep up with the Jones's and have more money than brains. Also they like the time away from their wives!!

I hired an ISA cert. arborist a few years ago who was calling crimson king norway maple a red maple, and didn't know the difference between an austrian pine and a norway spruce. You can fail the tree i.d portion a few times and still go back and rewrite it until you pass. Many people simply study for the exam, not for the purpose of becoming a better arborist.

You seem to paint with a broad brush- be careful- why did you hire an ISA cert ? You don't seem to understand that the cert carrries weight or you are jealous. Some of us CA's been doing it a long time so don't lump a group into you pic of your perception. I climbed for 26 years or so and went management and my crew respects me for the fact I respect them and what they do-I don't know what market you target but without the cert- you better prove you are not a hack.
Jeff
Jeff

You seem to paint with a broad brush- be careful- why did you hire an ISA cert ? You don't seem to understand that the cert carrries weight or you are jealous.
I don't know what market you target but without the cert- you better prove you are not a hack.
Jeff
Jeff

"Tell me, where is integrity bred - in the heart, or in the head?"

Passing a written test is hardly any indication of integrity or dedication to proper practice. There are hacks and pros of both the certified and uncertified sort. I would prefer to hire ISA cert, but overall competency and professional performance is the primary criteria. Overall, you had better prove that you are not a hack, regardless of any cert you may have.

You seem to paint with a broad brush- be careful- why did you hire an ISA cert ? You don't seem to understand that the cert carrries weight or you are jealous. Some of us CA's been doing it a long time so don't lump a group into you pic of your perception. I climbed for 26 years or so and went management and my crew respects me for the fact I respect them and what they do-I don't know what market you target but without the cert- you better prove you are not a hack.
Jeff
Jeff

Jeff, I have been an ISA certified arborist for over 10 years as well as a long list of other more reputable education. Unlike other people on hear I don't and wont list it all to try and impress a bunch of people I don't know.. The arborist I hired was a girl who talked a really good game in the interview, but had no actual field experience (other than sales) and no diploma in any related field. The company she worked for before had simply trained her to pass the test to stick the logo on her business card. This was the start of my realization that ISA cert can mean nothing.

Do I think ISA provide some great information and a decent base for an arborist to start from? absolutely. I just happen to think that they aren't the cat's ass. Most of the blame goes to the ISA for poor testing and treating their organization more like a corporation instead of a governing body.

I only hire arborists with an arboriculture diploma by the way, most of them are ISA cert as well but generally that means nothing to me.

So yes, I do think it carries absolutely no weight even though I advertize it and continue to keep certified for reasons others have mentioned ie. municipal contracts, arborist reports.

:monkey:

Latest posts

Back