ISA Woes.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelorus

Uva uvam vivendo varia fit
Reaction score
Last winter was hoping to write CA exam (to become righteous again) at the winter conference. Head office took 2 & 1/2 weeks to process application, which seemed like a long time. I pulled the plug and gave up.
Now, the Ont. chapter website lists a workshop / exam scheduled for Sept 7th. So, I left a phone inquiry, and sent them an email requesting some info re. location, registration, cost, a couple of days ago. No reply. Am a bit peeved, cause it seems to me that years ago, when I was a member of their herd, the only time they showed any interest or acknowledged my existence was at renewal $$$ time.

Wondering if others have encountered similar indifference, or is it me? Honestly, I do take a shower periodically, and brush my teeth faithfully. Is there a secret handshake or other ritual that I'm missing? I feel so neglected........if this keeps up I'm gonna start advertising topping trees and arboricultural masonry. And all climbing will be done with extra long spurs.

Last winter was hoping to write CA exam (to become righteous again) at the winter conference. Head office took 2 & 1/2 weeks to process application, which seemed like a long time. I pulled the plug and gave up.
Now, the Ont. chapter website lists a workshop / exam scheduled for Sept 7th. So, I left a phone inquiry, and sent them an email requesting some info re. location, registration, cost, a couple of days ago. No reply. Am a bit peeved, cause it seems to me that years ago, when I was a member of their herd, the only time they showed any interest or acknowledged my existence was at renewal $$$ time.

Wondering if others have encountered similar indifference, or is it me? Honestly, I do take a shower periodically, and brush my teeth faithfully. Is there a secret handshake or other ritual that I'm missing? I feel so neglected........if this keeps up I'm gonna start advertising topping trees and arboricultural masonry. And all climbing will be done with extra long spurs.

Lol Dave, well my old tard of a partner, wrote and passed and he can't even climb a tree or tie a running bow line! He bought the study guide and cd set. I will never talk to the reject again ever again in my life though. I was thinking about writing it as well but am way too busy to open a book (and shouldn't be on here tonight!) lol! Looking forward to the TCIA expo though!

Lol Dave, well my old tard of a partner, wrote and passed and he can't even climb a tree or tie a running bow line! He bought the study guide and cd set. I will never talk to the reject again ever again in my life though. I was thinking about writing it as well but am way too busy to open a book (and shouldn't be on here tonight!) lol! Looking forward to the TCIA expo though!

How come I (but not you) can get a Wesspur catalog, yet the ISA treats me like a leper, huh? You'd think they would want my money, but apparently not. A shame really, cause a Nigerian associate is willing to give me 30% of the late Col. Kaddaffy's money, and I was gonna donate most of it to the ISAO.
I just wanna be able add another sticker or two to my helmet. And mention it in the Yellow Pages, even though nobody seems to use that thing anymore. Nor do they have a clue what the ISA is.

How come I (but not you) can get a Wesspur catalog, yet the ISA treats me like a leper, huh? You'd think they would want my money, but apparently not. A shame really, cause a Nigerian associate is willing to give me 30% of the late Col. Kaddaffy's money, and I was gonna donate most of it to the ISAO.
I just wanna be able add another sticker or two to my helmet. And mention it in the Yellow Pages, even though nobody seems to use that thing anymore. Nor do they have a clue what the ISA is.

Ha too funny Dave, funny thing is while doing the storm work this week in Beaverton, all the big names of tree companies were there, and ISA or not I met a lot of new arborists and companies and I learned a few new things and so did they from us. I would say only 30% were ISA certified arborists .....and at the end of the day as long as the customers had the trees removed from their homes etc.... and was done to industry standards they were happy. They didn't know the difference between ISA or not. Yeah you had to rub in the catalog thing eh buddy!

Devon, it saddens my little black heart to hear that an arborist like yourself doesn't have a hankering to have your eyes glaze over & fall asleep every night reading the Arboricultural Journal (perhaps an article on strumella canker pathophysiology in western Tanzania), or want to solicit neighbours and friends to sponsor you plodding along in a Tour dem Trees bicycle jaunt.

ISA Woes

I am about to do the renewal$$$ but most of what I have read here seems to be the truth now days, ISA is for the suits TCIA (NAA) was always for the working Arborist. As for me I have to ahve the ISA CA for work so I gave them the $$$ and burn the book dam slick paper burn it outside and move on to what is important like nobama 2012

Called and left another message (polite) on their answering machine this am. No call back.
I am but a very small fish in a very big pond.
Was only certified for 9 years, Del. ON-0459A The first time I wrote the exam, it was a Big Deal, but the satisfaction factor diminished as time went by. Used to enjoy reading Arbiriculture News for the odd interesting article published in it, but it seemed mostly about ISA self-promotion. The Journal was just purely deadly.

Called again and left another message requesting a call back.
Also sent them another email message a couple of minutes ago requesting information.

I'm pretty sure that there is a logical explanation for no replies; like maybe they are in London promoting the ISAO at the Olympics.

The ISA has become a bigger money grab each year, I renewed this year & when I received my packet..........it was nothing like the original, no gold stamp, paper certificate is thinner, even the patch & ID cards are inferior to the original.

for an organization that claims its fiscally sound & growing they sure have cheapened the recognition end of things, what was the hallmark has now become a disgrace!

LXT...............

It just bugs me the more, cause I got the run-around from the ISA / ISAO back last winter when I wanted to write the exam at the Ontario winter conference.
Reminds me a bit of Bell Canada - I cancelled my 1-800 line years ago, when they were gonna start charging for it, and nobody was calling me on it anyway. So about 2 X a year, I get an invoice from them in a big envelope for a line and number that is nonexistent. I called them once to tell them they were floggin' a dead mule, and I would have had more success seeking a private audience with the Pope.

Received email reply this afternoon! The office has moved/is in the process of moving. Nothing to do with the Olympics, or logging in Madagascar.
Have just submitted application incl. credit card payment for $250 exam + $110 Chapter membership.
Hopefully will get processed and digested within the fullness of time. It's only money.
Contemplating looking for the decrepit old moldy copy of the Study Guide.

I have been trying for a few years to work with them with regards to work place hazards.
They always have a good excuse but in the mean time...time marches on .:bang:

It is a great place to start if you want in the industry and ecommend it to others looking for a vocation and not just a job.

I just move to SC and i am from CT, A CT arborist license is required for persons advertising, soliciting or contracting to do arboriculture in Connecticut.
If u want to show you have some knowledge, ISA certification is good for the states who Do not required a State arborist license. I see all kind of tree guys here advertysing ISA certified and they advertise for tree topping????????? wth , ISA does not mean Much to me, Except ISA expo once a year.

Being license and being certified is 2 different thing

Back