Iso-heet???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're fine, I've been running that in my sleds for years. I've never bothered having it in any summer gas though, I just hate having frozen gas lines. Regardless, it's safe.

You're fine, I've been running that in my sleds for years. I've never bothered having it in any summer gas though, I just hate having frozen gas lines. Regardless, it's safe.

Are winters getting colder but not like yours,dont use it in summer but thinking of using it in saws this comming winter woundering if it was safe to use......

All those additives that get the water out of fuel are alcohol. It absorbs water so you burn it instead of it collecting in the bottom of the tank. What I find funny is some folk avoid the 10% ethanol (alcohol) fuels like they're the plague because it attracts and absorbs water and some are buying extra to put in their mix because it attracts and absorbs water. LOL

Ian

According to the Seafoam MSDS, it's:

1 PALE OIL......40-60%
2 NAPHTHA......25-35%
3 IPA..............10-20%

IPA = Isopropyl Alcohol

So basically you've got a light oil, a solvent that cuts the light oil and Alcohol which attracts and absorbs water. :hmm3grin2orange:

Ian

All those additives that get the water out of fuel are alcohol. It absorbs water so you burn it instead of it collecting in the bottom of the tank. What I find funny is some folk avoid the 10% ethanol (alcohol) fuels like they're the plague because it attracts and absorbs water and some are buying extra to put in their mix because it attracts and absorbs water. LOL

Ian

The reasoning is that you stay away from E10 etc because it may have collected water during storage or shipping BEFORE you pumped it into your can. After you get your fuel you want to make sure that if there was any water in it, you get it "gone" (mixed in), so you add alcohol.

I think it's dumb because two strokes don't mind some alcohol in the mix anyway and you aren't going to have tons of water in your fuel if you buy E10 unless you get it from a sketchy gas station - which I wouldn't go to regardless of ethanol in the gas or not.

The reasoning is that you stay away from E10 etc because it may have collected water during storage or shipping BEFORE you pumped it into your can. After you get your fuel you want to make sure that if there was any water in it, you get it "gone" (mixed in), so you add alcohol.

I think it's dumb because two strokes don't mind some alcohol in the mix anyway and you aren't going to have tons of water in your fuel if you buy E10 unless you get it from a sketchy gas station - which I wouldn't go to regardless of ethanol in the gas or not.

I disagree. The only saw I ever seized was my 028, right after drygas was added to the mix. I can't recall if it was methanol or isopropanol but a saw that ran like new was dead in 10 minutes. Cyl and piston were toast. I rebuilt with OEM stihl parts, never put any alcohol based products in it again (or my other two strokes), and it stihl runs like new since the rebuild (1993) with plenty of use (been through a dozen chains).

I disagree. The only saw I ever seized was my 028, right after drygas was added to the mix. I can't recall if it was methanol or isopropanol but a saw that ran like new was dead in 10 minutes. Cyl and piston were toast. I rebuilt with OEM stihl parts, never put any alcohol based products in it again (or my other two strokes), and it stihl runs like new since the rebuild (1993) with plenty of use (been through a dozen chains).

Well I've run a couple hundred gallons of gas with isopropyl through my 1987 Citation LS, 1989 Mach 1 583 liquid and my brother's 1974 Polaris Colt, no problems so far (pretty much WOT the whole time on all three sleds). My weedwacker and saws eat through what's left over come spring time, normally 4-5 gallons every year for the past 8 years and I haven't had any problems. Maybe my cheapie 13 year old Craftsman weedwacker and Poulan saws are less picky, but I'd be willing to bet that's not the case. I've never used the methanol dry gas though so I can't vouch for that, but Iso-heat is great.

Latest posts

Back