It followed me home from lunch....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy in NC

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This is exactly why I shouldn't be allowed to go riding around at lunch time:

DSC05630.jpg

DSC05632.jpg

Heard it pop and run for a few seconds but the fuel line needs replacing. Bar cover is cracked but use-able until I source a better one. Chain is new but bar is well worn, but again use-able. Compression feels low..but I won't know until I put a gauge on it and it may be a result of sitting. Just couldn't pass on it for $ 30.00 and I miss my Super EZ that I got rid of a few years ago.

Thoughts? Good sources for parts?

This is exactly why I shouldn't be allowed to go riding around at lunch time:

DSC05630.jpg

DSC05632.jpg

Heard it pop and run for a few seconds but the fuel line needs replacing. Bar cover is cracked but use-able until I source a better one. Chain is new but bar is well worn, but again use-able. Compression feels low..but I won't know until I put a gauge on it and it may be a result of sitting. Just couldn't pass on it for $ 30.00 and I miss my Super EZ that I got rid of a few years ago.

Thoughts? Good sources for parts?

I own one, it's a good old saw. Pretty tough and plenty powerful for the firewood cutter.

Parts are evrywhere for them, they were quite common.

CT

Well I started to get it torn apart tonight for cleaning. Fuel line is toast which is no doubt why it was for sale. I can't seem to find the half of the fuel line in the tank or the fuel pick up. Pulled the muffler and some light scoring of the piston on the exhaust side.. I think it will run though.

First to find some manuals on it to sort out what is supposed to be.

What, why, all I got for lunch is some crappy CENSORED samich and you get an XL-12. WTF, gotta start eating in North Carolina!

:bomb: That is what I think about the new smillies!

I think I gave bout four of those away last year.

Last edited:
Yes they are, but new electronic coils for them aint cheap.

Still a nice find, I got one just like it.

Too bad all I got today during lunch was heartburn. :disdain:

I've had two of the blue coils (Wico) go bad - one fairly new. I changed the coil and flywheel to the Phelon ignition for the price of one blue coil. Good strong runner.

Mine got changed to a point coil and a nova module. Those blue ones sure had there trouble.

Frankly I've always preferred points. I considered changing these but didn't feel like tearing it down to change the crank. One saw was my bothers and one was free. After the second one, I realized why there were so many for sale on ebay.

Well this one has good spark so 'If it isn't broke.. I'm not messing with it"

Any ideas on how to clean the remnants of fuel line out of the inside of the tank. Looks like it turned to glue and is stuck all inside the tank. I hate to put a new filter and line in and just leave it.

Lunch time saw

I have several, some XL-12 and some SXLAO. The automatic oil type like yours feel slightly heavier than the XL-12, and have a bigger bore I think. But they are good ole saws with parts everywhere. I have not had ign problems, but the advice earlier sounds useful. I like the points, as little as I cut anymore.
Homelits were real hot Kart engines for a short time. They wiped outhe West Bends and Clintons, but then McCulloch got serious and homelite apparently didn't want to.

Some use premix, some use varnish, or carb cleaner. Let it soak, and see if it loosens the gunk in the tank. Sometimes it can be pried off with screwdrivers or picks.
You can also put something like shot, marbles, small bearings, etc in there and shake it around

But I think that about the whole saw has to be split to get in there if need be. I think thats the only downfall of that series.

I've got all the rubber away from it so I'm going to try some laquer thinner in it tonight and let it soak.

I really hope that the fuel filter isn't in there somewhere stuck.. but if it is hopefullly I can get it free.

Picked up some Tygon on the way in this AM and think I have a pick up filter around somewhere. Will keep everyone posted.

Latest posts

Back