It is with great sadness that I report.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The (hopefully temporary) demise of my beloved SuperMike 288. @mdavlee built me about the bitchinest 288 u'r gonna ever see.

Alas, one hot afternoon it made a death rattle, and I shut it down immediately. Unfortunately.....
View attachment 529890
View attachment 529892

The culprit?
View attachment 529893
View attachment 529894

The good news; the cylinder looks remarkably good. The bad news, since the small end bearing grenaded, I was hopeful the bottom end was fine. Sadly, it revolves 3/4 turn than catches. Maybe there's just a piece stuck there somewhere, but prolly not.

At this moment, I haven't the time or patience to split it and make it happy, so I'm gonna mothball it until I've got more time.

It's an inanimate object. Get over it. It's not like it's your child or a Homelite 750. Just playing, I killed a saw recently and it hurt and it wasn't anything close to your beast. My condolences.

It's an inanimate object. Get over it. It's not like it's your child or a Homelite 750. Just playing, I killed a saw recently and it hurt and it wasn't anything close to your beast. My condolences.
IF YOU HAVE NOTHING CONSTRUCTIVE TO ADD, AND YOU DON'T LOVE MY SAW, THEN STAY OUT OF MY THREAD! THIS IS SERIOUS CHAINSAW BUSINESS, AND JOKING AROUND IS NOT APPROPRIATE.
J/k, my threads are designed to be ****ed with, the saw will hopefully be working by next week!

My max saw budget is $450, so all my fancy saws are at least 10 years old
You big spenders make me feel cheap.

Well, ok, I am cheap. :laugh:

In all seriousness though, it does look as though the cylinder will be useable with a little clean up of the squish band.

You big spenders make me feel cheap.

Well, ok, I am cheap. :laugh:

In all seriousness though, it does look as though the cylinder will be useable with a little clean up of the squish band.
Speaking of squish band......
Thanks to @mdavlee
image.jpg
The big bumps are cleaned up..

Thanks to @Definitive Dave (I think)
I am now in possession of this
image.jpg
Looks solid!
And for @bitzer, a close up of the intake
image.jpg

Put some sand paper like that on your new piston to restore the compression you lost with the gasket install. Might even sharpen the spark a little. Personally I find that a wad of steel wool gives you more flexibility - even conforms to those D chambers.

Good chainsaw humor is hard. Above isn't too good. Actually it is awful, but too many keystrokes to just waste.

Ron

Getting closer
image.jpg
A trick I learned from Mike. Bolt the carb/block assembly to the cylinder before bolting down the cylinder. Much more easier. Also, you need to do a voodoo dance and pray the crazy impulse channel doesn't get at all obstructed by the two gaskets between the cylinder and the carb
image.jpg
Those who know me will find this ironic, but I couldn't find my yamabond. Hopefully up and running this weekend.

Getting closer
View attachment 532402
A trick I learned from Mike. Bolt the carb/block assembly to the cylinder before bolting down the cylinder. Much more easier. Also, you need to do a voodoo dance and pray the crazy impulse channel doesn't get at all obstructed by the two gaskets between the cylinder and the carb
View attachment 532403
Those who know me will find this ironic, but I couldn't find my yamabond. Hopefully up and running this weekend.
I know you earned that grime and crud but clean your junk up...who do you think you are, Ron Jeremy?;)

Latest posts

Back