It must be spring in the northern hemisphere?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The forum has suddenly become very active in the last few days - is that because it's spring in the Northern Hemisphere?

Here it just been the hottest and driest summer on record. Basically not a drop of rain since October of last year. It's only supposed to reach 85F today (it's been reaching between 90 and 105 for the last 2 weeks) so I should really be out milling but donchanowit, I have to do home duties.

Cheers

The forum has suddenly become very active in the last few days - is that because it's spring in the Northern Hemisphere?

Here it just been the hottest and driest summer on record. Basically not a drop of rain since October of last year. It's only supposed to reach 85F today (it's been reaching between 90 and 105 for the last 2 weeks) so I should really be out milling but donchanowit, I have to do home duties.

Cheers

Spring is just a few short weeks away up here in New York where I live on the US Canadian border. It has been a very easy winter for us where I live, only had to snow blow the driveway a handful of times this year. The people south of us had it hard this year, they usually don't get snow, but this year they can measure it in feet. Global warming? Maybe, maybe not.

Hi Bob L

Bob,as you know we had the Winter Olympic's in Vancouver,British Columbia this year.Some of the events were held on a local mountain in North Vancouver,they had to truck snow in from one of the Provincial parks 2 hours one way.It has been a very mild winter here this year,El Nino.Last year cold and lot's of snow.Grass on the lawn is starting to grow like crazy here now.Will make my first cut in a a day or so.
Lawrence

Bob,as you know we had the Winter Olympic's in Vancouver,British Columbia this year.Some of the events were held on a local mountain in North Vancouver,they had to truck snow in from one of the Provincial parks 2 hours one way.It has been a very mild winter here this year,El Nino.Last year cold and lot's of snow.Grass on the lawn is starting to grow like crazy here now.Will make my first cut in a a day or so.
Lawrence

Yeah - we don't see the seasons change anywhere near like you folk see it. A typical winters day for us is a rain shower overnight and then a sunny day maybe reaching 65. Grass grows all year round dammit !

I was in southern Indiana today and there is still some snow on the ground in the shady spots. Our weather here in Tennessee has gotten a lot nicer after what I hope is the last snow earlier this week. Next week it will be up in the 50s and maybe 60s. So winter is breaking. Its been a long one for most of the eastern U. S.

It's been the warmest driest winter here in the 14 years I have lived in the Shuswap. I think we have had about 1 foot of total snow fall this year. Last year we measured 8 feet of total snow fall. I talked to a guy that has lived here for 60 years and he can't remember a year where he did not shovel his driveway until this year. It's going to be dry this summer.

I could be milling but I not ready because we usually have to much snow or mud till April. Thinking about it though. May be in a couple of weeks. I have logs to go.

snipped.....
I could be milling but I not ready because we usually have to much snow or mud till April. Thinking about it though. May be in a couple of weeks. I have logs to go.

That's funny -- here I'm thinking I'll quit when the bugs get bad. That'll start in a couple of months. We have ticks and chiggers here that are beyond description.

One way I could tell that winter was getting to lots of folks here was that I heard over and over again "at least it ought to kill off most of the damned ticks".

But then our winters would make most of you Northeners snicker.

yes it is. or rather, it's gettin close and we've all got cabin fever. at least i did. one contributing factor around here is that alot of folks like to fell/clear trees before the ground gets soft. that way the truck/tractor won't get stuck. i watch madison's craigslist for tree postings and i've probably seen more in the last few weeks than over all of winter.
we've actually had a very consistent winter this year. about average snowfall/cold temps. got my milling fix last weekend with that cherry and tomorrow i'm going to look at some oak.
:hmm3grin2orange:

That's funny -- here I'm thinking I'll quit when the bugs get bad. That'll start in a couple of months. We have ticks and chiggers here that are beyond description.

One way I could tell that winter was getting to lots of folks here was that I heard over and over again "at least it ought to kill off most of the damned ticks".

But then our winters would make most of you Northeners snicker.

And I think I have mild winters compared to the rest of Canada. At least to the east of us.

It's been the warmest driest winter here in the 14 years I have lived in the Shuswap. I think we have had about 1 foot of total snow fall this year. Last year we measured 8 feet of total snow fall. I talked to a guy that has lived here for 60 years and he can't remember a year where he did not shovel his driveway until this year. It's going to be dry this summer.

Same situation here. The coldest weather we had all winter long was in mid to late November when it dipped below -30°C at night a few times. Heck, when I was working on the roof of the Wal-Mart in the first week of October, it was -9 three mornings in a row. December was pretty average, but since the new year it's been nuts - we've MAYBE had two or three nights hit -10°C, and almost every day has broken zero; even the colder days were nice and sunny and felt warm. It's felt like early Spring here for two months now, really. Last year I had two feet of snow in my front yard at this time, now it looks like this:

attachment.php

Sorry for the 066 plug; it's the only picture of the yard I have lying around right now! Most of the snow is just in piles where I've plowed it to, or where it happened to get packed down a bit. There's a bit more in the backyard where the sun doesn't hit as much, but still it's nothing compared to last year.

This, following last summer which was the hottest and I believe also the driest on record here. We had over 10 weeks from the first week of July into September with NO rain. Period. And there was a three week stretch in early August that hit over 30°C here every single day, with a couple peaking over 40. It was not the best summer for the lawn care business, to say the least. Neither for the lawns or us workers!

Bob,as you know we had the Winter Olympic's in Vancouver,British Columbia this year.Some of the events were held on a local mountain in North Vancouver,they had to truck snow in

I saw that when the olympics started it was snow on the ground in 49 of the 50 US states, Florida even had snow. And Canada was looking for snow.:dizzy:

This has been one of the colder and snowier winters we had in a long time. 60 for saturday though :)

Cheers

Jeez bob over here in the east were looking at the wettest summer in over 120years some places,few towns/districts declared disaster zones ,we have had just on 7 1/2 inches of rain since the 1st of the month and still raining ,did you want some rain ?i'llsend some over:cheers:

This was a big one for us in MD. In the sunny areas the snow is mostly gone, in shady areas there's still 6 or 8 inches. At least our Burnese Mountain Dog had fun. One of the funniest things was I had to snow blow a big chunk of the back yard for the dogs to poop and pee. Our little half poodle/####zu just stood in the door lost, she jumped over the pile once and dissapeared. She wouldn't go out again till I got a path cleared. I'm ready for spring. I got my mill on the pretense of milling a couple of Cherry logs I have, to make a picture frame for one of my wifes favorite prints. I got to mill a spalted Poplar log for practice. Cut 3 nice slabs, a couple weeks before Christmas, and haven't tried anything since. I'm ready, Joe.

blizzard2010057.jpg

blizzard2010045.jpg

blizzard2010042.jpg

Rarefish that looks like a normal winter for us. It was nice to see we spread it around for a change.

Last edited:
Don't want to do a thread hijack, but winter Olympics? Did someone say winter Olympics? Snapped this pic myself!

Sweet.jpg

Seriously, it has been a super mild winter. Although my banana plant hasn't started to leaf out yet. Last year we had two feet in the back yard in January.

Hi Bob!!!

The cold here dont bother me,,but it's where it's been so wet and muddy!!!Seems like in the mornings you start out the ground is frozed pretty good but by midday,,it starts getting sloppy.. I'm glad spring is getting here,,and it has been the worst winter we had in along time....

Back