It pays to have permission

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take your point but in my original post please note they said "He is cutting down trees". They should at least get the facts straight if they are going to call the cops. The tree had been on the ground for about a year with a massive rootball unearthed/exposed. I was only cutting what was laying on the ground.

I understand what your point was, but is that what he actually said or is that what the cop told you he said? I am not bashing the popo, but just cuz he told you that was the complaint doesn't mean that was exactly what was called in.

Either way, I would still like my neighbors watching out... how many threads are on here with stolen tools? Bet ya a donut some neighbors seen, but just assumed everything was ok.

I kind of like the idea that maybe the nosey neighbor was trying to help protect or look out for my property...

:agree2::agree2:

Could just as easily been nosey neighbor calling cops about strange truck pulled up to my shed loading saws.!!

I guess they would prefer the tree sit there and rot.

i have a young couple next door who is like that. they don't burn wood, but have a lot out back full of nice ash trees. some have blown over and just lay there to rot. others have poison ivy vines choking them, but they won't let me cut any down, nor can i grab any that fell over.

they like to see things as nature allows it to be.

i have a young couple next door who is like that. they don't burn wood, but have a lot out back full of nice ash trees. some have blown over and just lay there to rot. others have poison ivy vines choking them, but they won't let me cut any down, nor can i grab any that fell over.

It's their land to do with it as they see fit. They pay taxes, they bought it, so they can do whatever they want. It is all part of leaving people alone to do what they want.

As for the original post I would be glad if the neighbors called the cops to come check out something that they did not think was right or normal. I have seen plenty of places where loggers have gone in a stolen trees in plain sight of people and they sat right there and watched and never said a word. Last contract I cut firewood on before getting out of the business, I noticed skidder tracks on the back corner of the property. I followed them across the land I was allowed to work on until I came to a clearning where a bunch of trees were missing. All of them were black walnuts and back then walnut was worth quite a bit. Worse part is that these trees were about 300' from where grandma of the family lived. She heard the saws, heard the skidder and never asked her son what was up. She could have stopped them while they were stealing the logs.

I understand what your point was, but is that what he actually said or is that what the cop told you he said? I am not bashing the popo, but just cuz he told you that was the complaint doesn't mean that was exactly what was called in.

Either way, I would still like my neighbors watching out... how many threads are on here with stolen tools? Bet ya a donut some neighbors seen, but just assumed everything was ok.

Baldman,

That is what the cop told me they said. I would assume it is accurate. I had no problem with the cop he was just doing his job, the whole thing was very cordial. I also had no problem with the neighbor, although they did appear to be ignorant of the facts. My main point was, as the title of the thread indicates, it pays to have permission.

By the way, hows that back of yours healing up? I remember you posted when you had spinal fusion. I had it 10 years ago, and it worked wonders for me. The thing that hurt the worst was the bone graft they take out of the pelvis :eek:

I feel like I am healing well, thanks!

I have to agree with you on the permission thing... not having it doesn't pay too well :laugh:

In todays age? Nobody even knows who their neighbors are. I would hope my neighbors would call me if they saw someone cutting on any of my properties. Hate to shop up one day and find a clearcut. What would you do if you saw someone cutting wood on a place you have never seen anyone on before, next to your place? I'd investigate for sure at least.

110 acre parcel out aways behind my house. A couple years ago I heard saws running and rode the quad out to take a look. 3 log trucks backed in, loading up, skidders running. I watched a few minutes and then headed out. I talked with the owners about 6 months later and asked how their logging operation went, and he told me thieves had come in and logged it off. He was waiting 10 years between cuts to get nice trees, and someone just came in and cut all the best timber down. I kinda felt bad for not asking sooner, but I figured it was him again. Never caught anyone.

I guess this is one of my pet peeves and a reason i think rural america is in bad shape. around us 60% of the land is owned by someone many hundreds of miles away. they come once every two years to check things out and commune with nature. they bought it, they pay the taxes, they can do what they want, and i have a serious hatred of thieves but... this is not a community. these people drive up prices because they want "a piece of the mountains", they make it hard on neighboring farmers (me) becasue when one of their trees falls across the fence they arent there to help and dont care when you mention it. if you mention cutting the trees back off the line you get a look like you just suggested killing babies. the other 40% of us here make a living off our land and dont give a **** about a small cherry tree these people think is so precious that is about to tear down the fence and kill the cattle that eat it. theives should be prosecuted. people can do what they want with their land - but they shouldnt be surprised when unscruplious people realize noone is around to really care and take advantage. might piss some folks off but just how i feel.

these are the people that let their lots grow over to the point that rabbits cant get thru there. Late August when it hasn't rained in a month, their "retreat" lights off and burns 1/2 the county because 1. the fire department cant get thru there, and 2. There is enough dry fuel on the ground to keep all of us warm for a winter.

The neighbors around here are really good. We take care of each other, telling each other when we'll be out of town, etc. I came back from a hunting trip and pulled the car around behind the shed to unload a couple of coolers of meat (after dark). The neighbor's wife saw the headlights go behind the shed and shut off. That's not the norm, so her husband and a friend of his came over to see what was going on. They didn't come over empty handed either. Who needs the police with neighbors like that?

Let me get this straight. The tree was on private ground right? I would have kindly asked the cop for his badge number and supervisors name and number before I asked him to leave private property. Even if I had a suitcase full of :censored::censored:ing permission slips

The only thing worse than yuppie neighbors who think they control everything they can see out thier windows is law enforcement who think they are gestapo storm troopers. He had no right to be on that property to ask about a stupid tree, or even ask what you were doing, let alone ask for a permission slip,,,,, at least out here in the wild wild west of Ohio.

Can you tell my BP is up?

Don't know much about the law do you? Cops have the right (and duty) to go onto private property to investigate any "crime in progress" report.

Harry K

They didn't come over empty handed either.

They weren't carrying confectionery, were they??:biggrinbounce2:
Seriously, neighbours like that are PRICELESS, watching over your neighbour is more than a good deed, it PAYS.
Thieves and similar kinds of filth learn fast of DangerZones.

6 months ago car thieves went for my neighbour's car, were chased away by him and another neighbour, I grabbed a hefty stick and a flashlight and ran after them into the night... Wished I had a dog! Ran into a platoon (!) of soldiers drilling night navigation, spread in pairs all over. Had them radio HQ to see if anybody saw something... Turned out they did see the getaway pickup but as they didn't have a clue they were thieves, the thieves made their escape.

We were cutting 2yrs ago on Government owned land - with official papers of permission from the local woodkeeper in our hands.
It turned out we were cutting 200m away from a popular mountain bike track... And so the good souls kept interrupting with our operation until we put the papers in the pickup, against the pickup's windshield and ignored everybody waving their arms from the bike track, let them oggle it through the glass.

SA

It's their land to do with it as they see fit. They pay taxes, they bought it, so they can do whatever they want. It is all part of leaving people alone to do what they want.

As for the original post I would be glad if the neighbors called the cops to come check out something that they did not think was right or normal. I have seen plenty of places where loggers have gone in a stolen trees in plain sight of people and they sat right there and watched and never said a word. Last contract I cut firewood on before getting out of the business, I noticed skidder tracks on the back corner of the property. I followed them across the land I was allowed to work on until I came to a clearning where a bunch of trees were missing. All of them were black walnuts and back then walnut was worth quite a bit. Worse part is that these trees were about 300' from where grandma of the family lived. She heard the saws, heard the skidder and never asked her son what was up. She could have stopped them while they were stealing the logs.

i wasn't belittling them for what they felt, it was just a shame to see some nice trees go to waste and just rot there.

i wasn't belittling them for what they felt, it was just a shame to see some nice trees go to waste and just rot there.

I understand. My dad bought the barn and remaining 23 acres of an old farmstead from a guy. The guy had previously sold the house and ~5 acres to a family that could barely afford the house. They wanted the rest of the land but could not afford it after ~20 years so my dad bought it.

Well they were pizzed! They quickly drew a line in the property and harassed us every time we got near the line. No need for that, they were welcome to use the land and the barn any way they see fit, but they were being :censored:s about it so my dad let it slide.

Then one day when the price of walnut logs was sky high they cut down logs covering about 2 acres of thier land of big honking 150 yr old walnut trees. Prime veneer grade logs. My dad suggested to the guy that he call a logger friend we knew and sell him the logs. The guy flew into a tirade and quickly sawed the logs up into firewood.

Just to needle the guy my dad had a relative that was logger stop over and visit the dude and told him that despite the hatred he had for my dad, he should really stop being an idiot because base on his quick assessment of the logs he could see from the road, that there was >$50K worth of logs that were now cut up into firewood. And if he had been smart instead of holding a grudge, he could be paying for his kid's college education with those logs.

The logger was so upset to see the logs go to waste he had 3-5 of his friends stop by over the next few weeks and tell ask the landowner if he had any more logs because they were so valuable and they wanted to prevent him from cutting up any more tens of thousands of dollars worth of walnut. It pays to buy firewood from the local loggers and thus know them well. :)

30 Years later and that family still treats my step-mom like garbage about that land. :dizzy:

Don't know much about the law do you? Cops have the right (and duty) to go onto private property to investigate any "crime in progress" report.

Harry K

Did you read the original post or not? It wasnt called in as a theft and if a "crime on progress" means cutting a tree when some nosey neighbor doesnt lke it then we differ on a much larger scale than should be talked about here. Yes indeed I have sent the local deputys off my property! Exactly twice.

Having permission does not make you an honest trustworthy individual. I am not directing this toward the person who started this thread or anyone who has responded but just stating that you have to be weary of everyone. As a landowner you will be exposed to countless stupid people who knowingly or unknowingly “wander” onto your property and show no respect for you or your property.

Case in point, about 3 weeks ago, the neighboring land owner who lives 10 miles away gave permission to someone to go through his locked gate and cut firewood from a fence row at the other end of his corn field. The guy even brings a tractor to drag the logs up to his truck which he parked by the gate. Sounds like a good plan right?

The next weekend I drive by and see the open gate. The tractor is still parked in the same position but I don’t see any vehicles. I go on home and get the 4 wheeler. I come back through my woods then across my hay field only to find ruts left by a dually truck. I follow the ruts through my hay field then along the front of the neighbor’s corn field up to the gate which is now locked. I am sure this guy figured why waste time dragging the logs up to the road when I can just drive my truck 100 yards over to this hay field then go straight back and then cut over to where the wood is.

I should have called the neighbor then but I bided my time and the guy showed up again the next weekend. This time his truck is parked and the tractor is gone. I hurried back on the 4 wheeler and sure enough now I have tractor tread marks in my hay. Thank goodness the temps were a little lower and the ground had firmed up a little. I ride up to the guy who is now back on the neighbor’s property. He asks, “What do you want.” I responded, “I want to know who is making ruts in my hay field." He gets a wrinkle across the forehead and says he didn’t drive in my hay field.

It just kind of went south from there when I asked him to explain how many other tractors were sitting around here with mud on the tires next to a dually truck. He finally admitted it but said the neighbor told him it was okay to drive in the hay. I knew that was a flat out lie. Anyway we resolved that he would stay out of my hay. The neighboring land owner called to apologize even though he didn't tell the guy it was okay. He lets me deer hunt on his property. We get along great.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back