It's a Pacific Northwest thing... you wouldn't understand!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll move the story to here.

I was giggling yesterday most of the way back in. I had some spare time earlier in the day, so headed in a two track road and started cutting brush and small trees out of it. Yesterday was the day before elk season started and the hunters were everywhere, setting up camps. It was quitting time so I threw Twinkle (the 440) back in the truck box and started out. I met a pickup pulling a travel trailer on the two track so I started backing up. We came to a spot that I hadn't cut yet and their trailer wouldn't fit under the trees. So, I walked up and asked, "your saw or mine?" They didn't have a saw. I told them I'd put my gear back on and cut the trees out and would appreciate it if they yarded the slash out of the road. I dug Twinkle out, and heard the comment, "That's a big bar!" (it is a mere 28 inches). There was no comment about the lack of a full wrap handle. I was hoping Twinkle would run well, didn't want to mess up with an audience watching. Twinkle started on the first pull and the trees were down and bucked up in seconds, much to my amazement. I shut her off and pulled out my earplugs. The hunters mouths were hanging open. One of them said, "Gawd I wish I had a fun job like yours." I loaded up and took off....giggling because I usually get waved over by hunters and when they see who I am, they start asking questions like Aren't you afraid of: (choose the following)
A. Cougars
B. Working alone in the woods
C. Getting lost
D. Evil people
C. Everything else.
It was a good day!:clap:
And I've seen nothing but grouse and hunters and loggers all week.

LOL... We always tell the deer hunters where the USFS ground is and if they have any questions they can flag down a green pickup and the nice Fed will tell them everything they need to know. It's not exactly a lie...more of a redirection of fact...and it gets them the hell off of our ground and out of our way. Sorry, Slowp, but your people have more time to deal with these idiots than we do. Probably more civility and tact, too.:) We had four hunters come over a ridge a couple of weeks ago and just casually strolled down through where the fallers were working. It was heavy timber and the fallers didn't know they were even there until one of the hunters tripped, fell down, and rolled past him. I think we hit some new heights in creative profanity and the decibel level was impressive. The hunters went back over the ridge with directions to a USFS survey crew in the area.

Last year we lucked out and had a huge flood which either ran the hunters out or trapped them in. Most of them packed up and left as soon as they could get somewhere. Since we were cut off for a few days from getting to the woods, it was a nice, peaceful season. Except for the marooned hunters at the bar next door. :(

Well it is hard to compare the west coast cutters to the midwest and east coast guys. Since after some of the jobs i've done lately i look at a three footer as being an easy little tree to drop.
I have to get the pics from my buddy about this last job i did and post them on here for ya. It was three trees and the largest was 11' 8" across the stump. Of course after that job a cold beer tasted just a little bit better than normal.

So how many of you midwest guys have even used a tree jack to get em' over? (or two?) or had to use spring boards?

Nothing like hearing a 200ft fir come crashing down!! Feeling the ground shake when it hits!

***Me and a couple of buddies specialize in big old growth and hazard tree removal**** Bigger the better!!!!

I'll move the story to here.

I was giggling yesterday most of the way back in. I had some spare time earlier in the day, so headed in a two track road and started cutting brush and small trees out of it. Yesterday was the day before elk season started and the hunters were everywhere, setting up camps. It was quitting time so I threw Twinkle (the 440) back in the truck box and started out. I met a pickup pulling a travel trailer on the two track so I started backing up. We came to a spot that I hadn't cut yet and their trailer wouldn't fit under the trees. So, I walked up and asked, "your saw or mine?" They didn't have a saw. I told them I'd put my gear back on and cut the trees out and would appreciate it if they yarded the slash out of the road. I dug Twinkle out, and heard the comment, "That's a big bar!" (it is a mere 28 inches). There was no comment about the lack of a full wrap handle. I was hoping Twinkle would run well, didn't want to mess up with an audience watching. Twinkle started on the first pull and the trees were down and bucked up in seconds, much to my amazement. I shut her off and pulled out my earplugs. The hunters mouths were hanging open. One of them said, "Gawd I wish I had a fun job like yours." I loaded up and took off....giggling because I usually get waved over by hunters and when they see who I am, they start asking questions like Aren't you afraid of: (choose the following)
A. Cougars
B. Working alone in the woods
C. Getting lost
D. Evil people
C. Everything else.
It was a good day!:clap:
And I've seen nothing but grouse and hunters and loggers all week.

Thanks Slowp. Daughter is reading with me, and is all giggles about the name Twinkle. Now I am stuck with saws named twinkie 460, cupcake 084, and shorty 036. Yup thanks alot.

How bout these couple, Aren't you afraid of wolves, bigfoot, sasquatch, wolverine, and of all things only one time, are you afraid of poisonous salamanders? WTF has anyone ever seen a poisonous salamander?

Hey BTW welcome Charles. Nice bull ya got there. That 38 should handle your big pine, unless of coarse your looking for any reason to get a new bigger saw. Then I would recomend my personal fav the 460 with a 32"er skipped chain and the cut like a banshie.

Windthrown, any chance of being from the Drain, Elkton area? We've lived in both and so has most of the wifes family, at one time or another anyways?

Owl

Last edited:
Last year we lucked out and had a huge flood which either ran the hunters out or trapped them in. Most of them packed up and left as soon as they could get somewhere. Since we were cut off for a few days from getting to the woods, it was a nice, peaceful season. Except for the marooned hunters at the bar next door. :(

Which district of the GP are you on? I worked 3 years on Cowlitz Valley as a knuckle-dragger in fire. Don't miss that much.

SpottedOwl,
I'm glad I don't have girls if may saws where to get named like those mentioned! Today I ran my first skipped chain... on my 038. I didn't use this saw much today, but it did seem to cut pretty fast! I was just trimming small oaks and trimming some smaller Doug fir. I saw that same bull just before and during elk season... He's a nice 4 point now. I just wished I had my camera then.

So, in your humble opinion... Is the 32" bar too much for my 038 Super? Should I downsize? Looking in the Stihl book, saws with 6hp and above start getting the bigger bars... Should I be downsizing? This saw was a hand me down from my fil who hardly ever used the saw. So I know I opened a can of worms here... but let here your professional opinions.

Thanks

Charles

Well it is hard to compare the west coast cutters to the midwest and east coast guys. Since after some of the jobs i've done lately i look at a three footer as being an easy little tree to drop.
I have to get the pics from my buddy about this last job i did and post them on here for ya. It was three trees and the largest was 11' 8" across the stump. Of course after that job a cold beer tasted just a little bit better than normal.

So how many of you midwest guys have even used a tree jack to get em' over? (or two?) or had to use spring boards?

Nothing like hearing a 200ft fir come crashing down!! Feeling the ground shake when it hits!

***Me and a couple of buddies specialize in big old growth and hazard tree removal**** Bigger the better!!!!
None that I know of around Kansas, we simply dont have THAT size of trees around here compared to the PNW. I have used cables tied to a loader to bring down cottonwoods and oaks leaning over bridges and rivers, and of course wedges when needed. I believe the biggest tree that I have seen around Kansas was a cottonwood with a trunk of close to seven foot diameter.

SpottedOwl,
I'm glad I don't have girls if may saws where to get named like those mentioned! Today I ran my first skipped chain... on my 038. I didn't use this saw much today, but it did seem to cut pretty fast! I was just trimming small oaks and trimming some smaller Doug fir. I saw that same bull just before and during elk season... He's a nice 4 point now. I just wished I had my camera then.

So, in your humble opinion... Is the 32" bar too much for my 038 Super? Should I downsize? Looking in the Stihl book, saws with 6hp and above start getting the bigger bars... Should I be downsizing? This saw was a hand me down from my fil who hardly ever used the saw. So I know I opened a can of worms here... but let here your professional opinions.

Thanks

Charles

For regular use I wouldn't use a 32, I would stick closer to a 24 or even a 20. If you have a need for the 32 besides just this one tree and it will be used often I would upgrade to a saw that will better handle it. A 24 will drop a 32dbh no problem, heck even the 20 would be able, just alittle more technique needed.

Here's another PNW thing.

Fresh Dungies. Went out today with the kiddos and got us 17 no measuring needed dungeness. Got 9 of them red crabs 8 of those wouldn't fit in a bucket so they went in on their sides. Where else can you sit in the bay and watch nasty ole turkey, shad, pig guts, fish carcusses, and what ever gut wrenching things, turn into one of the best things to ever hit a tub of boiling water?

Now the best part is getting to watch the boy crack and eat crab while he has 2 busted thumbs.

Just another small reason it's great to be from the PNW

Owl

Thanks Slowp. Daughter is reading with me, and is all giggles about the name Twinkle. Now I am stuck with saws named twinkie 460, cupcake 084, and shorty 036. Yup thanks alot.

How bout these couple, Aren't you afraid of wolves, bigfoot, sasquatch, wolverine, and of all things only one time, are you afraid of poisonous salamanders? WTF has anyone ever seen a poisonous salamander?

Hey BTW welcome Charles. Nice bull ya got there. That 38 should handle your big pine, unless of coarse your looking for any reason to get a new bigger saw. Then I would recomend my personal fav the 460 with a 32"er skipped chain and the cut like a banshie.

Windthrown, any chance of being from the Drain, Elkton area? We've lived in both and so has most of the wifes family, at one time or another anyways?

Owl

I also got similar kudos from a log truck driver for teaching his 4 year old daughter to point out ends of logs he had missed branding and painting. :clap:
Can your daughter tell me where I can find Barbie or similar stickers that will fit on a 440? That way it is pretty certain that nobody else will use Twinkle.
Let me see, Dora the Explorer, My Kitty, Bratz would be acceptable if Barbie stickers cannot be found.

PNW limbing saw

Would be fun to limb this with a 13 inch bar.
attachment.php

OH how I miss Oregon!!!!

I might have a trip to WA next month to get a fix. Great pics in this thread.

If you miss Oregon so much why would you want to waist time in Washington?? It's the armpit of the PNW. The only thing worth seeing in WA is Madsens, the Boeing Surplus Store and McLendon's Hardware in Renton.

If you go to the Boeing Store check out the Tool Crib!!

Last edited:
If you miss Oregon so much why would you want to waist time in Washington?? It's the armpit of the PNW. The only thing worth seeing in WA is Madsens, the Boeing Surplus Store and McLendon's Hardware in Renton.

If you go to the Boeing Store check out the Tool Crib!!

Sorry... Boeing Surplus is now closed (December - SUCKS!!!!). No point in coming to WA now. And if you do... there might be a tornado, earthquake, mudslide or cholera.

Sorry... Boeing Surplus is now closed (December - SUCKS!!!!). No point in coming to WA now. And if you do... there might be a tornado, earthquake, mudslide or cholera.

Permanently??? I loved the Boeing surplus store!!

Back