It's all in my head...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffontap

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I've been thinking that the head powering my MK III was a 281xp, and was completely satisfied with the production I was capable of with an 80+cc saw. Then I came under the impression that it might actually be a 272xp. So, then I was thinking, 'man I wonder what milling with a bigger saw would be like!?'

I just ran the numbers on the cylinder of my saw and it's a 268xp!. Good grief! I immediately told my wife I was going to need to buy a new saw with the tax return because I 'can't mill with a 268' (I of course still have a real 272xp as well--not a fake one like this 268). Referencing the pile of wood out the kitchen window she tapped me in the forehead twice and said, 'it's all in your head.' I laughed. I can move up in power just by switching to what I thought was my smaller saw. :clap:

J. D. Duff

For your amusement, here are a couple pictures of 4-5 mornings worth of milling with a 68cc saw:

Wood1.jpg

Wood2.jpg

Nothing wrong with that pile! Enjoy the bounty, don't worry about the saw, if it's working for you. (Still go for the bigger saw, though!) Are the shorter boards 8 feet? I need about that much lumber to build a staircase over my retaining wall, good to know how long it took you with a saw that size, very encouraging for me. Too bad we don't have such a selection of softwoods here, about all I can get my hands on is Hemlock. But I can get all the maple, cherry, and ash that I can handle, so I guess it balances.

Enjoy reading about your outings immensely, helps while I save money for my setup.

Hey duff everyone on here says its addictive (milling and buying saws!!) Sure looks like you have been busy!! I love Michigan but I bet you have some nice trees out your way and could get quite a pile going real quick. Nice job! Good luck if you do get another saw. Thanks for the pics irishcountry

What kind of wood is that? Looks real good.

Festus, all you have is hemlock. Hemlock is great wood after sorting out the cracked and punky stuff.

Festus, all you have is hemlock. Hemlock is great wood after sorting out the cracked and punky stuff.

Yeah, cracked, punky, slimy, the 10,000 tiny branches per foot of trunk, great stuff. Only other choice is the occaisional red pine in someone's yard, and that's worse.

Duff's wood looks like Doug Fir, but maybe it's just wet.

Perception is reality...
You should have never ran those numbers. I bet you'll eventually have a bigger saw.:cheers:

Exactly. Ha, ha. Perception is reality.

The shorter pieces are 8', the longer ones are 11 1/2'. The lighter wood is Sitka spruce and the darker stuff is Hemlock. We don't grow much doug fir right on the coast but there is some great cedar if you can get to it first. Most of it is spoken for long before it hits the ground. We have some excellent doug fir about 10 miles inland and I've mined some really nice brush-covered oldgrowth logs but I haven't used my chainsaw mill on any yet. It is a great place to live with a CSM.

J. D.

Yeah, cracked, punky, slimy, the 10,000 tiny branches per foot of trunk, great stuff. Only other choice is the occaisional red pine in someone's yard, and that's worse.

Duff's wood looks like Doug Fir, but maybe it's just wet.

I wonder if part of that is regional. We have some pretty gnarled, punky Hemlock here, but some of the nicest saw logs I see are mature Hemlock. It also mills very nice.

J. D.

It may be the difference between Eastern and Western Hemlock, or just the growing conditions. Nearly all of our hemlock is second or third growth, the few remaining old-growth stands are either inaccessible or protected. Between the wooly agelid and emerald ash borer, we'll be lucky to have many trees left around here.

Nothing wrong with that pile! Enjoy the bounty, don't worry about the saw, if it's working for you. (Still go for the bigger saw, though!) Are the shorter boards 8 feet? I need about that much lumber to build a staircase over my retaining wall, good to know how long it took you with a saw that size, very encouraging for me. Too bad we don't have such a selection of softwoods here, about all I can get my hands on is Hemlock. But I can get all the maple, cherry, and ash that I can handle, so I guess it balances.

Enjoy reading about your outings immensely, helps while I save money for my setup.

Yeah, go for the bigger saw! Sounds like you got a kitchen pass already. Nice wood

I'll have to forward some of the e-mail I get...keeps telling me how to make things bigger...maybe it'll work fer yer saw...:greenchainsaw:

For your amusement, here are a couple pictures of 4-5 mornings worth of milling with a 68cc saw:

Wood1.jpg
Nice lookin' stack of dimensioned lumber. Looks like you took the time to get the log into some beautiful cants first, nice job. Amazing what we can do with just a 68cc chainsaw, a csm and some time.

So I've been thinking that the head powering my MK III was a 281xp, and was completely satisfied with the production I was capable of with an 80+cc saw. Then I came under the impression that it might actually be a 272xp. So, then I was thinking, 'man I wonder what milling with a bigger saw would be like!?'

I just ran the numbers on the cylinder of my saw and it's a 268xp!. Good grief! I immediately told my wife I was going to need to buy a new saw with the tax return because I 'can't mill with a 268' (I of course still have a real 272xp as well--not a fake one like this 268). Referencing the pile of wood out the kitchen window she tapped me in the forehead twice and said, 'it's all in your head.' I laughed. I can move up in power just by switching to what I thought was my smaller saw. :clap:

J. D. Duff

Wood1.jpg

Wood2.jpg

Nice piles of lumber:cheers:

I mill with a 365 special ( 65cc ) and it works OK in soft woods under 12 inches 6 and 8 inch cants mill up quite quickly. I have milled cedar up to 22 inches max for my mill although slowly. I also wonder how the extra power of a larger saw would work. I have noticed that a 088 is almost twice the weight. That may be harder work lugging around for smaller lumber?

Ryan

Run 3/8 low pro ripping chain on the smaller saws. It really picks up the ripping speed. The little bit of milling I've done was with my 041FB (61cc) and I've had it in 18" cedar and 18" elm with pretty good speed.

Ian

Duff, nice lookin wack of lumber ya got there. I don't see why you would need a bigger saw, because that one definatly gets it done!
RD

Latest posts

Back