I'ts been said many times before but be very careful with the Fiskars axes...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodshed

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I spent about 4 hours running my 346XP and 372XP felling and blocking up some standing dead maple Sunday afternoon. Noodled the big rounds into manageable pieces and then started busting it up the for the woodpile. I have split a fair amount of hardwood with my Super Splitter and it is still deadly sharp, unfortunately I got a reminder while pulling the bit out of a log. I rocked it forward to loosen it, re-gripped the piece and rocked it back, cut cleanly through a pair of heavy Wells Lamont leather gloves, a pair of glove liners and through the skin on the meat of my palm. It was so clean I didn't even notice I did it till I saw the blood! I could see muscle inside the 1 inch gash so I went into the house and closed it up with super glue, good as new and finished busting rounds. I guess the moral of the story is even if you are vigilant being careful running the saw, you can still have a dumba$$ attack at the woodpile. I'm not complaining as it could have been much worse. As the wise old sage Dingeryote always says, "Stay safe!" :rock:

Scott

Last edited:
Got one last month from the Bailey's sale, so I'm new at it after decades of using a double-bit axe. The Fiskar's is definitey SHARP. I realized when I pulled it from the shipping box that I did not want it hitting anywhere near one of my feet, boots or no boots. I bet it would go right through....

Works great, though. Had to get used to "chopping" at the round rather than the swing-over-the-shoulder that is so ingrained with the axe.

Those fiskars are crazy sharp! I've got one. I thought you were gonna say it glanced off and hit you in the shin! Glad you're ok. Super glue beats a trip to the ER! Thats just what they might do there anyway!

I spent about 4 hours running my 346XP and 372XP felling and blocking up some standing dead maple Sunday afternoon. Noodled the big rounds into manageable pieces and then started busting it up the for the woodpile. I have split a fair amount of hardwood with my Super Splitter and it is still deadly sharp, unfortunately I got a reminder while pulling the bit out of a log. I rocked it forward to loosen it, re-gripped the piece and rocked it back, cut cleanly through a pair of heavy Wells Lamont leather gloves, a pair of glove liners and through the skin on the meat of my palm. It was so clean I didn't even notice I did it till I saw the blood! I could see muscle inside the 1 inch gash so I went into the house and closed it up with super glue, good as new and finished busting rounds. I guess the moral of the story is even if you are vigilant being careful running the saw, you can still have a dumba$$ attack at the woodpile. I'm not complaining as it could have been much worse. As the wise old sage Dingeryote always says, "Stay safe!" :rock:

Scott

now that right there is a tough man!
I'd a been laying on the couch crying in my beer

now that right there is a tough man!
I'd a been laying on the couch crying in my beer

Yeah, no kiddin'! And ya just know the lady of the house would make a fuss and chase me around with a bottle of Isopropyl cuz she couldn't find any peroxide. LOL!!!

Another reason to justify a hydraulic splitter shouldn't involve bleeding all over the place.... OUCH!!:cry:

Gotta love the Fiskars though! Gramps told me when I was little, that every good knife or axe bites ya a bit to say hello. Sounds like Woodshed has a Keeper!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yeah, no kiddin'! And ya just know the lady of the house would make a fuss and chase me around with a bottle of Isopropyl cuz she couldn't find any peroxide. LOL!!!

Another reason to justify a hydraulic splitter shouldn't involve bleeding all over the place.... OUCH!!:cry:

Gotta love the Fiskars though! Gramps told me when I was little, that every good knife or axe bites ya a bit to say hello. Sounds like Woodshed has a Keeper!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Never thought of it like that, but he's spot on! A little hello from the axe/knife translates to a big amount of respect for it.

every good knife or axe bites ya a bit to say hello

Very true. I remember the first (of many) Lone Wolf knives I bought, opened the package, flipped it open, looks cool, sharp as heck, went to close it and stick in my pocket all at the same time and took a nice dime size piece of meat off the tip of my right hand ring finger. Took FOREVER to heal and I have a nice scar. Whole new appritiation for sharp blades! :censored:

Scott

i like to keep my blades sharp and i took a file to my axe till i could shave with it and it scared me so did a bit of tree limbing with it still sharp and scary... I also have a brush axe that came with my house i was sharpening it one day just to clean up the rock dings and such and i cut my self 3 times before i decided to put it down still a rusty chipped up blade with barley an edge on it cut me with ease i don't mess with that to much i can cut clean through 3" limb/tree with one good swing

ES2282-Surveyors-Brush-Axe-Ditch-Bank-Blade-813008-md.jpg
very similar to this one

Off topic (but it's my thread so...) how in the heck did you get so many nova's with 168 posts?!?! Are yu like the next generation rep ho or just extremely rep worthy and efficient? Amazing. :dizzy:

Scott

Off topic (but it's my thread so...) how in the heck did you get so many nova's with 168 posts?!?! Are yu like the next generation rep ho or just extremely rep worthy and efficient? Amazing. :dizzy:

Scott

hey when you're good you're good lol :givebeer:

i had a few post in the pic thread... RIP :cry:

How in the heck do you get your hand between an axe and the wood? That's plenty dumb and dangerous even with a dull axe.

Any scar we can get while keeping the appendage is a good day!

I'm proud of all my scars, and they all tell a story... Besides, I earned 'em! Men and scars go together like bread and butter...

Glad you're OK.

Very true. I remember the first (of many) Lone Wolf knives I bought, opened the package, flipped it open, looks cool, sharp as heck, went to close it and stick in my pocket all at the same time and took a nice dime size piece of meat off the tip of my right hand ring finger. Took FOREVER to heal and I have a nice scar. Whole new appritiation for sharp blades! :censored:

Scott

Sounds like you just are alittle dangerous with sharp objects lol.

Scott

lone wolf makes some nice knives...only problem i've ever had with one was when my lobo (scale-release auto) opened in my pocket. didn't do any damage but i don't carry that one anymore

Latest posts

Back