It's Cold!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
But I'm headed to the woods for a few hours. Wanted to go out this AM, but it was -14F, so decided to wait until it warmed up. The Perkins diesel in my old 180 Massey is warming up right now, been plugged in since last night.

I'll bring the camera along, but can't guarantee any pics, electronics and cold are not known to like each other!

The plan is to skid out a bunch of down stuff, and get started blocking it, and finish blocking and split it tomorrow.

Later,

Steve

You are nuts!

Don't get me wrong, I love to cut in cold weather but the wind today definitely sucks. I was going to fell a big Elm leaner today but the thought of me climbing 20 ft. up in this wind to hook my cable made me lose all ambition. It would be a fine day for cutting if you were in a sheltered low spot or something.
I'll be thinking of you when I throw another log in the boiler.:cheers:

Took about an hour for the salamander heater to make the rounds heating the tractor, splitter, and lawn tractor for the days cutting, splitting, stacking chore.

6 hours out there today, and few more tomorrow.

One thing that must be kept in mind though, when you breath in/out through your nose, don't open your mouth quickly, it hurts when your facial hair is all frozen together.

nice too hear I wasn't alone cutting today. I am near Baldwin WI, a bit cool but not bad.

Last edited:
Cut , skidded , piled about 3 cords of popple today. wasn't too bad once I got going. want to get a 14 cord load out by the end of the month.

No bragging rights here. It was 13° this morning. Not the coldest or the warmest.

One of the dogs looked at me like "I can hold it" when I tried to let them out this morning. I grabbed a saw from next to the couch and she was ready to go. She still falls for that one.

Wasn't as bad as I thought, insulated jeans, coveralls, t-shirt, sweater, and Carhartt jacket with a good facemask stocking cap and decent gloves.

Carhartt got hung on a branch after a little bit, I was actually overdressed.

I didn't accomplish a ton, spent a lot of time clearing trails of face smacking twigs (they hurt a lot more this time of year!), and managed to break the slip hook end off of a 3/8 high-test log chain. I thought the log was out of the ground enough to pull stump and all, but I was wrong...

I did get some pics, but I'll hold off for a bit on posting them. I'm gonna start a photobucket or something similar account and put them up there. It bugs me to click on pics to view them, so I'll try not to do the same! Any suggestions on good hosting sites is appreciated. I don't mind paying, but cheap or free is always good!

I'll be back at it in the morning, if I get a helper or two, maybe even a video is possible. I still have to post my splitter video on YouTube yet, might as well do a few of em.

Steve

DING: I just remembered where my other good chain is: on the floorboard of the old truck!!!! Bet I spent an hour looking for it today before I gave up and used the grab hook end of the broken chain!

Shutterfly to post pic's--Free--

Steve, I use Shutterfly to post my pic's. I usually have to downsize them first then download to Shutterfly. Right click on "Properties", then copy and paste into "Insert Image" icon. Hope this helps!

Cold up in Maine too. Windy last night and the temps dropped like Antonio Margarito in the 9th round against Sugar Shane Mosely last night! We're at about -4 at the moment and supposed too get -10 tonight w/o windchill. Sun's out though and nice looking day. I've got a big old ham I glazed in the Glenwood cookstove since about 9am this morning. Crock of Baked beans too! :cheers:

Currently -15 with a -39 windchill in northern Minnesnowta...just going to stay in and feed the wood boiler a diet of nice dry tamarack.

I dropped, cut and split a truck load of smallish red Oak yesterday.
It was cold enough to cause the splitter some groaning untill it warmed up.

Doing the same today. Not real bad out. 18 degrees last I looked.

I found another dead standing ash, and spent the morning fighting a winch cable that jumped the spool.:cry:
Sometimes I just want to shoot that winch!

Heading back out to finish up on some Cherry.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The ground here in the south of Illinois is frozen enough to support my Super Duty and trailer so... I gathered up a bunch of wood I cut in the mud last month!

After my coffee I'm headed out tonight to get the last jag!:)

It's been relatively colder (not like you northerner's cold ) her this year. I'm burnin some wood:chainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :clap:

Steve, you are over dressed.

All it takes is some fancy longjohns and a regular set of working clothes to keep warm. Facemask?, grow some whiskers.

All kiddin aside, it takes a special breed to sweat in 0* or less temps, or good beer and hot chili waiting for ya at the end of the daylight. We won't discuss the hot/willing wife aspect.

No bragging rights here. It was 13° this morning. Not the coldest or the warmest.

One of the dogs looked at me like "I can hold it" when I tried to let them out this morning. I grabbed a saw from next to the couch and she was ready to go. She still falls for that one.

A saw next to the couch? We are all truly a breed apart, aren't we? :laugh:

Steve, you are over dressed.

All it takes is some fancy longjohns and a regular set of working clothes to keep warm. Facemask?, grow some whiskers.

All kiddin aside, it takes a special breed to sweat in 0* or less temps, or good beer and hot chili waiting for ya at the end of the daylight. We won't discuss the hot/willing wife aspect.

Got some whiskers, just weren't quite keeping up, was a touch warmer today. I alternated between stocking cap and baseball cap, and just went with bibs and Carhartt.

Have some pictures posted to Shutterfly now, I'll put them in a new post.

Chili would have been good, had to settle for a big T-bone, taters, and broccoli smothered in cheese instead.

There is a small possibility that the beard has a negative effect on the hot/willing woman concept...

A saw next to the couch? We are all truly a breed apart, aren't we? :laugh:

Seems like a reasonable enough place to keep them handy. That and the neighborhood night crawlers have been hard up lately. They aren't brave, just sneaky.

Besides, warm saws do take less time before they are ready to start cutting.

Latest posts

Back