It's really cold out and I have to go out and work wear?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It seems to be topical with the arrival of the first of the cold air. What is your favorite "Oh damn it's cold outside and I have to go and work" wear. For me it is a Carhart Arctic Extreme full suit with a Mountain Hardware bomber type hat, Turtle fur neck ring as well as a pair of heavy Grandoe gloves and a pair of thinner work gloves in my pocket for when I need the extra dexterity. Yellow tinted saftey glasses when it is blowing snow. This setup puts serves me well into the deep minus temp levels with a good degree of comfort.

If you're going to be outside for the day you've got to be prepared for it. for me it's carhartt overalls with a pair of lightweight track pants underneath, wool socks, poly toe work boots (steel draws the heat from my feet), and a heavy carhartt jacket on top with matching hat, hooded sweatshirt (keeps the wind from blowing down your neck). I usually have insulated latex dipped gloves with me, if i'm standing around doing nothing I wear heavier ones. otherwise the dipped gloves are good for most jobs. speaking of which, back to work in said outfit.

I try to only go out for either short periods, or when I'll be working fairly hard.

Nice knit cap for my head and ears, sweatshirt with a Carhart vest over it, insulated work gloves, MAYBE long johns, usually does well for working and staying warm for me. That's for work like splitting wood or chainsaw work that are sort of start-and-stop. I'd sweat my nuts off in one of those Carhart suits unless I had my ass planted in a tractor seat.

Remember hiking Mt. Wachusett one morning that it was -10ºF when I started at the parking lot, and it was up to -10ºF by the time I got to the summit...and my pack quickly got stuffed with layers I stripped off. Wasn't as hard as splitting wood or lifting logs I just cut, but it was steadier work -- as long as I was moving I found all I needed to be comfortable was wool pants (not insulated, but unlike jeans they don't get "cold" when wet), a fleece jacket liner, light gloves for my hands, and ear muffs.

Moment I stopped moving at the summit though, I started bundling up in a hurry. Found a fairly sheltered picnic table for a short rest, quickly drank some hot cider from my thermos, then got my self moving again!

I believe in layering , as to the chore . Sometimes it takes me awhile to get it just right where i'm not to cold or don't sweat like a pig. I'm trying to incorporate the underarmor into the game for a wicking layer. But it don't get near as cold down here as it is where some of ya'll are. Termite

insulated bibs over jeans. On top its a t shirt under a sweatshirt under my carhartt. I normally dont wear anything more than a ballcap, if I have to its a nice fitting knit one.

Jeff

Layers all the way. spandex pants wool socks of some sort and under armor shirt, then bdu's and a sweatshirt. More often than not, the knit cap ends up in the leg pocket recently vacated by my favorite ballcap. Gloves...either leather or the cheapo version of mechanix depending on deterity required. I also have a healthy layer of sub-dermal insulation.

Carhartt full coveralls is all I need - especially when processing wood...its my go to clothing during the winter. I would not trade them for anything...:rock:

I will have to say I to love the steelers, dont keep up with it much any more however. I like the carhartt bibs. A pair of shorts under in all but the coldest weather. Cant do the sock hat unless on the tractor.

Layers are king weather determines what I am wearing from uni's to a flannel to bibs toa coat, to a vest to a parka etc. If im laying on the side of 75 at 6 in the morning changing a starter or Repairing a blown hyd line in the yard, what I am doing and how long I am there has alot to do with what I choose to put on verses what I throw in the truck to take with me Clothes are much like tools there is proper tools for everything.

For me, it all revolves around my Carhart bibs when it's really cold. The arctic ones that have the insulated chest, they keep my core and trunk warm.

I can add or remove layers accordingly, but usually a hooded sweatshirt tucked into the bibs suffices for most activities outside. Throw on a coat over top when really cold.

I've traded long johns for flannel, fleece, or wool lined work pants...pick your brand...seem to sweat less

boot socks or wool socks (depends) and one of my pairs of old goretex combat boots...have some nice snowmobile boots for those -55 windchill days

underarmour t-shirt, or my old brown wool mil sweater...carhartt work coat

thin fleece skull cap with ember burn holes for ventilation...mechanix gloves (reg or padded when cold)

traded in my neck warmer for a beard...works better...goggles for 30+ mph winds

wipeout!

I try to only go out for either short periods, or when I'll be working fairly hard.

Nice knit cap for my head and ears, sweatshirt with a Carhart vest over it, insulated work gloves, MAYBE long johns, usually does well for working and staying warm for me. That's for work like splitting wood or chainsaw work that are sort of start-and-stop. I'd sweat my nuts off in one of those Carhart suits unless I had my ass planted in a tractor seat.

Remember hiking Mt. Wachusett one morning that it was -10ºF when I started at the parking lot, and it was up to -10ºF by the time I got to the summit...and my pack quickly got stuffed with layers I stripped off. Wasn't as hard as splitting wood or lifting logs I just cut, but it was steadier work -- as long as I was moving I found all I needed to be comfortable was wool pants (not insulated, but unlike jeans they don't get "cold" when wet), a fleece jacket liner, light gloves for my hands, and ear muffs.

Moment I stopped moving at the summit though, I started bundling up in a hurry. Found a fairly sheltered picnic table for a short rest, quickly drank some hot cider from my thermos, then got my self moving again!

My fastest ever ride on a skateboard and most spectacular wipeout, coming down off mt wachusett (if you are talking about the one in mass)..haven't even thought about that for decades now...I made it a pretty good distance and was cruising at warp poop my pants speed when I went off the road after I got some high speed wobbles. I was hunched down hanging onto the board. No road rash but some good bruises from rocks and assorted shrubbery rash.

Cold weather gear...used to be whatever assortment of army surplus and catholic charities attire I could put on deep enough to work, with my best boots being those black "mickey mouse" army boots.

Whoops, that's still the case, except I havent found my army boots for a few years now. Buried in my junk someplace around here. If and when I find them, they are my oldest "still got 'em" possession, outside of some old pics and stuff my mom saved from when I was a kid and gave me years later.

Those are great winter boots, beat heck out of my sorrels I had. Heavy, but they work.

They have arctic white ones with an inflatable deal in them, but never tried any. The black ones worked for the coldest temps I have ever been in. guessing..30 something below a few times in Maine.

Doesn't get cold enough down here. I brought all kinds of winter clothing when we moved here from Montana and never have worn most of it. I did buy a pair of Carharts a couple years ago, wore them for a couple hours and got too hot.

Depends how cold it gets.
Layering and wool is the way to go, have worn too many high-tech fabrics in ####ty places/situations, always left me cold, wet and clammy, went back old school and got comfortable.

It really depends upon your climate, and your own body what works for some doesn't work for others.

The benefit of wool I find is that dependant upon the weave it can eb windfroof and damn near water proof, if not work a bit and your sweat will filter trough and freeze thus making it wind proof. Yeah laundry at times involved leaving it out to dry then bashing the frozeness out of it, along with the dirt and everything.

Depends how cold it gets.
Layering and wool is the way to go, have worn too many high-tech fabrics in ####ty places/situations, always left me cold, wet and clammy, went back old school and got comfortable.

It really depends upon your climate, and your own body what works for some doesn't work for others.

The benefit of wool I find is that dependant upon the weave it can eb windfroof and damn near water proof, if not work a bit and your sweat will filter trough and freeze thus making it wind proof. Yeah laundry at times involved leaving it out to dry then bashing the frozeness out of it, along with the dirt and everything.

My hunting bibs are wool and I agree.

I only wear merino wool socks for cold activities, I love them.

Wool

My hunting bibs are wool and I agree.

I only wear merino wool socks for cold activities, I love them.

What brand bibs are you using for hunting?

Wool is the way to go as long as you aren't going to get filthy or covered in chips. I do love my Carhartts, but I hate seeing "made in Chine" on the tag :angry2:

What brand bibs are you using for hunting?

Wool is the way to go as long as you aren't going to get filthy or covered in chips. I do love my Carhartts, but I hate seeing "made in Chine" on the tag :angry2:

A pair of Codet's. Nothing fancy, just plain green.

Back