It's starting - New California law bans ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm totally onboard on some stuff, and totally against other things. I demand EFI on my vehicles, but will pass on the acre size touch screen. I love my EFI saw, but there is zero reason my fridge needs to have an internet connection, and lots of reasons it shouldn't. I'm currently looking for an oven that has one dial to turn on and control temperature, an indicator light to tell when the element is on, and no electronics.
How you going to reorder capers when you run low if the fridge isn't connected to the 'net?

I went thru the same process 10 years ago when replacing our oven, with the additional requirement that it be a 24" oven. This is what we ended up with. It does have 2 knobs (not one) -- one for mode and one for temp. And too many modes to choose from. But as far as I can tell the controls are old school. It's nicely made, works well, and problem free so far.
https://us.bertazzoni.com/products/professional-series/built-in-ovens/24-single-convection-oven-4

How you going to reorder capers when you run low if the fridge isn't connected to the 'net?

I went thru the same process 10 years ago when replacing our oven, with the additional requirement that it be a 24" oven. This is what we ended up with. It does have 2 knobs (not one) -- one for mode and one for temp. And too many modes to choose from. But as far as I can tell the controls are old school. It's nicely made, works well, and problem free so far.
https://us.bertazzoni.com/products/professional-series/built-in-ovens/24-single-convection-oven-4

Thank you. Not quite what I'm looking for.

Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man at a young age, but the idea that there is a $1000 oven is as absurd to me as the idea that there's a $100k pickup truck. There's no need for a printed circuit board in an oven, or a touch screen in a pickup truck.

Did they out law two stroke engines, when the mini four stroke weedeater came on the market??
Now it is all of them.
Lets see how they fight there forest fires that they can't even maintain. Then every landscaper will have to have a
12volt to 120 volt converter in there truck or a gas powered generator to charge the batteries.

Another case of a politician with zero common sense.

Thank you. Not quite what I'm looking for.

Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man at a young age, but the idea that there is a $1000 oven is as absurd to me as the idea that there's a $100k pickup truck. There's no need for a printed circuit board in an oven, or a touch screen in a pickup truck.
Well, as a grumpy old man at an appropriate age, I agree with you. The last truck I bought new was $12K. My present truck ('06 F250) is likely the last one I'll own with a manual transmission and windows.

My recollection from oven shopping is that there wasn't much available in wall ovens below $1000. Ranges, yes. I just checked our local appliance dealer and the cheapest oven is $999. They have ranges for around $500. I will cop to liking convection ovens, which seems to be the norm for wall ovens these days.

I'll likely have to give in on the oven thing and just pick one. The $1000 part bothers me a lot less than the electronics, and that even the best ones still have a 1 in 8 chance of needing a service call in the first couple years. If I spend a grand on an oven, it better be perfect, be the last one I ever have to buy, and need a new heating element every decade or so for maintenance, nothing more.

I'm watching for used commercial ovens that'll fit what I'm looking for, and also reached out to an old school hardware store that carries Speed Queen washers and dryers. If anyone around will know how to get a sane oven, they will.

Whole situation annoys me. Getting a decent oven shouldn't be this complicated or take this much work.

Ironically enough, I'm going to get out of my grumpy old man chair, go out to my shop, and work on my solar power system, which is nothing but blinking lights, buttons, and boxes of electronical bits and doodads.

Here in the UK we have this, from what only be described as a cult, telling all of us that electric is the way to go, how we should stop using petroleum products etc etc. I walk my dog over a park where there are two wind turbines, one of these fanatics asked me about the dog and told me how unnecessary dogs actually are and serve no real purpose, (I already dislike the guy) so then the conversation starts, he tells me how we should all stop using the earths resources and go Vegan, when I pointed out that his plastic trainers were made from Petroleum products which was dismissed. I asked him if the Wind Turbine was "Green" as there was one right next to us, he said "Of course they are"
When I pointed out the amount of oil they take on a regular basis for the gearboxes and how he thought they were made he went mad and said i was a conspiracy theorist. These people are so convinced they are right through probably brainwashing they have forgotten all rationality, in the end I thanked him for spoiling my walk and that he should go back to school and learn something that might actually help society than making it worse.

They don't use induction motors either. Permanent magnets on the rotor, multiphase stator, computer in the tool activates each phase of the stator in turn to make the thing spin. No separate start windings needed. I feel it as a notchiness or cogging at very low speeds on my cordless drill.

I'm totally onboard on some stuff, and totally against other things. I demand EFI on my vehicles, but will pass on the acre size touch screen. I love my EFI saw, but there is zero reason my fridge needs to have an internet connection, and lots of reasons it shouldn't. I'm currently looking for an oven that has one dial to turn on and control temperature, an indicator light to tell when the element is on, and no electronics.
I haven't kept up and won't keep up with technology any more, it's quite obvious. I got tried of messing with my OBD on my 90 F150 302. I gutted the entire truck of all or anything to do with computers. It quit on me 50 miles in the middle of nowhere harvesting fuelwood. When I got it home it was moved way back in time. Points, coil, carb and a manual fuel pump installed. A4OD was replaced with a modded C6. If something goes wrong with it now it can easily be fixed with extra parts I carry and tools. All my saws are very well maintained antiques. I carry most parts to fix them in the field also. I'm just an antique that wants to get my work done without computers. It's enough for me to just carry my A12 next to my old COLT, LOL. 5 years at HD and 5 years at Lowes made me dislike the cyber digital world, bare minimum knowledge now about new technology. Cheers.

I haven't kept up and won't keep up with technology any more, it's quite obvious. I got tried of messing with my OBD on my 90 F150 302. I gutted the entire truck of all or anything to do with computers. It quit on me 50 miles in the middle of nowhere harvesting fuelwood. When I got it home it was moved way back in time. Points, coil, carb and a manual fuel pump installed. A4OD was replaced with a modded C6. If something goes wrong with it now it can easily be fixed with extra parts I carry and tools. All my saws are very well maintained antiques. I carry most parts to fix them in the field also. I'm just an antique that wants to get my work done without computers. It's enough for me to just carry my A12 next to my old COLT, LOL. 5 years at HD and 5 years at Lowes made me dislike the cyber digital world, bare minimum knowledge now about new technology. Cheers.

Not the mix of tech I'd go for, but definitely don't blame you at all.

Smart doorbell? My doorbell is powered by Purina.

My house is heated and cooled by the most up to date, high efficiency, variable speed, inverter, 18+ SEER heat pump, controlled by the dumbest thermostat that would function with it, and no internet connection. Don't want my thermostat learning my habits and taking orders from someone else who doesn't love here. First time my thermostat says "I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that" will be the day I rip it off the wall and burn it in the back yard. Backed up by a wood stove, two years of wood in the shed, and a window unit AC that the solar power system will run.

California = communist idiots with zero common sense.
Pretty soon it will be the entire USA. If you haven't been paying attention, the blue states allowing mass illegal immigration. Then they give said illegals drivers licenses and the right to vote. Then they ship said illegals, to red states.
Which in the near future, will effectively turn red states to blue states. Then they will be able to force their communist bs down our throats.
End of rant.

Not the mix of tech I'd go for, but definitely don't blame you at all.

Smart doorbell? My doorbell is powered by Purina.

My house is heated and cooled by the most up to date, high efficiency, variable speed, inverter, 18+ SEER heat pump, controlled by the dumbest thermostat that would function with it, and no internet connection. Don't want my thermostat learning my habits and taking orders from someone else who doesn't love here. First time my thermostat says "I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that" will be the day I rip it off the wall and burn it in the back yard. Backed up by a wood stove, two years of wood in the shed, and a window unit AC that the solar power system will run.

This is one of those decisions that makes zero sense to me. And I'm definitely on the left side of the dial. It seems like putting the horse before the cart. You have a state with rampant wildfires in no small part due to a myopic policy towards forest management (far as I know California Forest Practice Rules might help owls...but obviously not fires) and lack of water. So let's hamstring the state even further by outlawing some of the exact tools needed to deal with one problem to maybe someday solve another? The state isn't going to stop burning the day after they ban the sale of small engines. The MSA 300 C-O is a cute little saw. But in what world is that a replacement for a MS462, or 500i? The industry isn't ready for this change, and IMHO trying to force it is going to blow up in California's face. The manufacturers have spent the past decade chasing emissions rules with technology (m-tronic for example) and to now have the goalpost moved again? Polishing the brass on the Titanic much? But hey at least the spotted owls are...oh wait...it turns out they aren't fireproof 😬. Glad I moved out of Cali.

my 2001 7.3 never gets better than 16 wtf?
Never had one get better then 16-18 except my uncles swears his single rear wheel 2000 manual get 23, but never once been able to prove it.
That's pure comedy there, took my 93 f-150 to 362k miles on the fuel stock fuel injection and only killed one AOD transmission. Dura spark ignition is about legend status for reliability, and the bank fuel injection was stupid simple to work on. BTW there no a4od transmission and ford's first fully computer Controlled automatic was the e4od which wasn't offered behind the 302 or 300 six till 93 or 94. The AOD was a c6 with a over drive gear added to it. The whole truck was so easy to work on it sucked, I wish I never got rid of my 93.

After thinking about this bit of legislation, I can all but guarantee it will be fraught with exemptions either in the text or by executive order/emergency decree where firefighters will be able to buy/use gas powered equipment, much like CA firearms laws. LEO can have whatever, but the Joe Kim in Koreatown will go to jail for an AK47.

Never had one get better then 16-18 except my uncles swears his single rear wheel 2000 manual get 23, but never once been able to prove it.

That's pure comedy there, took my 93 f-150 to 362k miles on the fuel stock fuel injection and only killed one AOD transmission. Dura spark ignition is about legend status for reliability, and the bank fuel injection was stupid simple to work on. BTW there no a4od transmission and ford's first fully computer Controlled automatic was the e4od which wasn't offered behind the 302 or 300 six till 93 or 94. The AOD was a c6 with a over drive gear added to it. The whole truck was so easy to work on it sucked, I wish I never got rid of my 93.
It is a 90 F150 and it did have a A40D and a 302 it was pulled from the truck because it was electronic the C6 isn't. I'm just so thrilled you find it humorous. YOU MISSED MY POINT COMPLETELY. I wasn't going to pay a bunch of money to buy all the computer sensors and ECM to repair an over 20 year old truck (when I bought it) Bought it for 300 bucks put 400 into it and it's hauled at least 400 cords of wood in the last 10 years with a 16 foot trailer behind it. Never one problem. I got a 82 F150 4x4 also that had an older style ECM it was stripped out also. It's 351W/C6 full manual shift and modded engine. I only use it in the mud season. Just so your informed. I worked in automotive repair for 35 years and got out of it in 91 when I started feeling like I was more a computer tech than a mechanic. That is why I only own older vehicles, that's also extremely humorous.

It is a 90 F150 and it did have a A40D and a 302 it was pulled from the truck because it was electronic the C6 isn't. I'm just so thrilled you find it humorous. YOU MISSED MY POINT COMPLETELY. I wasn't going to pay a bunch of money to buy all the computer sensors and ECM to repair an over 20 year old truck (when I bought it) Bought it for 300 bucks put 400 into it and it's hauled at least 400 cords of wood in the last 10 years with a 16 foot trailer behind it. Never one problem. I got a 82 F150 4x4 also that had an older style ECM it was stripped out also. It's 351W/C6 full manual shift and modded engine. I only use it in the mud season. Just so your informed. I worked in automotive repair for 35 years and got out of it in 91 when I started feeling like I was more a computer tech than a mechanic. That is why I only own older vehicles, that's also extremely humorous.
No it was an AOD 4 speed transmission. Nothing computerized about the transmission. No, let me repeat this so it's really, really, really clear, no electronic transmission was available behind a 302 in 1990. The ecm was just for the engine and had nothing to do with the transmission. You sound just like every other old car mechanic when fuel injection came around. It's got more then 2 wires! It's evil! So yeah it's extremely funny.

No it was an AOD 4 speed transmission. Nothing computerized about the transmission. No, let me repeat this so it's really, really, really clear, no electronic transmission was available behind a 302 in 1990. The ecm was just for the engine and had nothing to do with the transmission. You sound just like every other old car mechanic when fuel injection came around. It's got more then 2 wires! It's evil! So yeah it's extremely funny.

Back