I've done it! 80cc+ 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yo2001

yo2001

ArboristSite Operative
My Christmas holiday started early for me this year so this was the project that I completed on Friday. Sorry but the order of the pictures got all mixed up.

First one, the spacer behind the muffler. I used small nuts tig welded in place
DSC00507.jpg

Top view without the cover. Some of us might find one thing funny about this picture
DSC00508.jpg

A picture of the flywheel side, had to trim the transfer hump just a little bit to clear the flywheel
DSC00509.jpg

The clutch side, two widest fins were trimmed back clear the top cover.
DSC00510.jpg

The poor man's DP cover. hehe
DSC00511.jpg

The complete project
DSC00505.jpg

I'm happy with the result. Other than opening up the crankcase to clear the piston and slotting the cylinder mounting holes. Everything was pretty straight forward.

Not much porting was done other than widen the port, port match the muffler, lowering the intake closer to OEM jug, lighten the piston and larger lower transfer ports. Used Stihl wrist pin and clips. The compression is real good at 180 psi with no base gasket. Hope soon I can get side by side comparison with my other 044 which is still 71cc.

volks-man

volks-man

Arboristsite.com Spooner
Let us know how it runs. I've haven't been motivated to put a BB 046 kit on an 044 case because of volume issues.
jacob:
curiousity:
volume issues = case volume? i'm guesing the 044 case is smaller than the 046? what is the effect of case volume on a saw? again i'm guessing... is it a problem of just not having enough fuel/air in the case to supply the bigger jug? or is it more pulse related?

o/p: very creative engineering. AS member 'madprofessor' would be proud.;)i too, look forward to your test resuts!
:cheers:

Erick

Erick

Addicted to ArboristSite
I sure like mine. :D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/txs8vI8IBVQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/txs8vI8IBVQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here's a Stock 660 for comparison. :laugh:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1PaLe9YIel4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1PaLe9YIel4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

yo2001

yo2001

ArboristSite Operative
I do believe the case volume is going to be an issue. In addition, the lower transfers are tiny on the 460 BB kit which won't help the problem. I did work the lower transfers most to get more crank volume for the saw but probably not enough.

Other thing that I notice is that the intake port sits higher than 044 OEM jug. I think both small lower transfers and higher intake ports were consequence of overbore without relocating the ports to original location. Since the intake port is in diagonal from the bore, when you cut out the bore, the intake port naturally goes up if that make sense. The problem is that I don't think there is enough metal to lower the intake port back down.

I forgot again. yes Husky decomp on the saw and like Jacob said, it really doesn't work good on cold start (I have to press down every pull) but better than not having one. It kicks and locks like no man's business. My stihl dealer did not have one in stock so I'll settle for the second best. j/k

I won't complain as long as it holds together and cuts as good as my other 044 though.

Last edited:
pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
I am real happy that you posted this yo2001 as it is one of the things that I am going to attempt for my next 044 to 046 upgrade. I have sort of maxed out by building and modding 5 of the 044/440`s this year so I figure its time to move on and try more cc`s.
Pioneerguy600:cheers: :agree2:

Last edited:
yo2001

yo2001

ArboristSite Operative
Got some video done. I hope this works. The log is 16" yellow pine.

BB kit 8 pin on 16" RSC chain out of box. I clocked low 6 sec.

044 8 pin same B&C clocked at about 7 sec

I got several other videos and found the bb kit about 1 second faster in cut. 7 pin was about .3-.4 sec slower in cut. The bar was buried in the pine which probaly slow down the cut time. (well, seems to me at least)

In my defense, both saws are mildly ported but 044 probably got little bit more work done than my new BB kit with one tank through it.

Enjoy!

timberwolf

timberwolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
Great thread.

You should have no issues with case volume, there is a slight case volume difference 044 vs. 046 the small case volume helps draw the full charge in at higher RPM, just don't go wild on intake durration or the case will overfill and the charge change direction and blow fuel back out the carb.

I built up a 044/046 and one with BB a while back and they worked quite well, puts a lot of CCs in a small light package.

Wet1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Very nice. I wouldn't try comparing the two times at this point if the BB saw has not been broken in yet. I would expect that it will get quicker as you continue to break it in. Again, nice job. :)

Latest posts