Japanese beetles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quackmaster

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been trying to establish a small orchard about 12 trees. For last three years I have been dealing with Japanese beetle infestation. For those not familiar theses little bastards can strip every leaf off a tree in just a couple of weeks. I have tried traps, malathion, seven, and even taking out my frustration on them myself. Last year I killed 11 five gallon pails of them I collected out of the traps I had. Does anyone else have this problem, and can anybody help?

Those traps sold at big boxes are not the way to go. We used them the first year we got the beetles here in KY. Collected them by the bucketfulls until I finally realized we had the only infestation problem in the neighborhood. That attractive worked too well. It was attracting all the beetles for miles around.

Your orchard may be doomed. One 20 miles down the road from here had all its trees killed. Took a couple of summers but the beetles finally defoliated the trees to death.

Last edited:
Try diatomaceous earth. Mix with water and put in a pump sprayer, spray all the foliage. I use for insects since it is not toxic to humans or animals. The fossilized diatoms shred the exoskeleton of insects, then they leak fluids out and die. You will have to treat frequently since a hard rain will wash it off.

This is what I use: http://barakelfoods.com/index.php?cPath=36

I've been told that the best way to use those attractant traps is to hang them in your neighbors tree. Otherwise you are luring new beetles to your trees.
I have plum trees and grape vines and they love the leaves. I just keep after them with a strong seven mix. This year they don't seem to be as thick as usual.

Quack,

I grow Blueberries. I know and feel your pain. In addition to the little bastards muching on leaves and fruit, if one of 'em hitches along with a load of berries to the recieving station the entire load can be rejected. Ever see a guy with $20,000 on his truck go bat#### crazy over a bug? I have.

Anyhoo.

They like to lay eggs in the grassy areas on the margins, so clean till around your trees right about now. The grass will recover for fall and after they have deposited eggs on the edges of your orchard.
This will reduce the number you have next year.

Malthion and sevin are labeled for beetles but work about as well as farting in thier general direction. Sevin also cranks up the Aphid population as it kills just about every beneficial insect out there.

Immidan. Apply it per label rate NOW while you are infested.
You'll NUKE most of 'em. It's evil stuff, and wipes out everything, pest and beneficial alike, so limit use as much as possible.

Follow on with Provado(Imadaclorpid) a week later.
Provado is locally systemic, so what is missed or blows in after spraying will take one bite and croak. Residual is really good. I'm on week #2 from the last application and no beetles or aphids. Generally, anything that chews on your trees will die.

Next year, a bit before the time they start hatching in your area(Watch for signs and track the DGD), a good shot of provado will keep things down to start with as they have been denied reproduction numbers and area this year.

Some guys will "carpet bomb" the margins with ground applied Admire76 and then either pray for rain or water it in with a walking irrigation rig to nail the grubs and emerging beetles. Spendy though, as clear tilling the previous year, and in the spring will do much the same.

Keeping your weeds on the margins low and taking out any wild growing fruit trees seems to help quite a bit as well, but if ya have sloppy neighbors it can be frustrating. Diazinon used to be great for this, but the Hippies in Kalifornia found out it was bad for pregnant women if they drank it, so it's banned now.
Cross your fingers for approval of some of the new Biologicals that are coming out...

The Bag Traps are designed to take peoples money. Don't waste yours.
They use female Jap beetle phermones to draw the Horny males, and seeing as how they blow around anyway, you're just bringing every fricken male beetle for miles into your trees.

I.D. Traps on the other hand are usefull. Set out a couple on the 4th of July and eyeball them every day. As soon as ya catch a beetle, take 'em down and call in the Air strikes.

Come Monday morning, holler at your County Ag extension and pick up a copy of the 2009 fruit management guide, and ask them if they have any suggestions. Usually, the Lab rats are more than helpfull about turning ya on to all manner of resources including free seminars and such.

Here's a link to our states current and archived extension advisorys and related info. Dig around some, and ya might find something that applies.
Just take anything Longstroth writes with a grain of salt, as the guy is so lab oriented it's maddening.

http://www.ipm.msu.edu/aboutcat.htm

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back