John Deere CS56

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
extraspecialman

extraspecialman

ArboristSite Operative
I was lookin at the Deere site today,thinkin of buyin another saw and a trimmer.The specs on the CS 56 look pretty good as far as size/weight,but they never mentioned horse power.Anybody know the HP rating?Any experience with these saws?I have to wonder how it compares to the 361 or 357.Olympik makes these saws now I think.Only Deere saw I ever owned was made by Homelite,I wasnt to impressed.

superfire

superfire

Addicted to ArboristSite
jd specs

3.1 hp
56cc
do a search for cad bite by me and a search about john deere. i have a cs 40 and a cs 62 also the cs81.they are darn good saw they are alot more metal then the stihls. for the dollar they are cheaper then stihls. a cs 56 with 20" bar ansemi chisel skip is a good all purpose saw. one thing i like about the jd is it is a six point av versus stihl three point av. buy a jd and let us know what you think. the jds are made by emak in Italy.

stihlfarmer

stihlfarmer

ArboristSite Operative
the cs 56 is desighned to compete with a 290 it is nowhere near the caliber of a 361 I have both and would much rather run the 361 here was a thread brought up only a few days ago on these also I thouught they were an efco saw

SAWITALL

SAWITALL

ArboristSite Guru
I was lookin at the Deere site today,thinkin of buyin another saw and a trimmer.The specs on the CS 56 look pretty good as far as size/weight,but they never mentioned horse power.Anybody know the HP rating?Any experience with these saws?I have to wonder how it compares to the 361 or 357.Olympik makes these saws now I think.Only Deere saw I ever owned was made by Homelite,I wasnt to impressed.

You still won't be impressed.

Go get you a 361:D

clintb

clintb

ArboristSite Operative
CS62 Pro-Series™ Chain Saw

Models 1-1 of 1

MANUFACTURER
MODEL John Deere
CS62 Stihl
MS361

Chain Saw

CC's 61.5 59

Cu. in. 3.75 3.60

Weight, lb. 12.4 12.3

Power/weight ratio 0.379 0.358

Fuel capacity, oz. 23.7 23.1

Oil capacity, oz. 11.8 10.9

Bar lengths 16-20 16-20

Chain brake inertia inertia

Forged connecting rod yes ---

Waffered connecting rod yes ---

Caged rod bearings yes ---

3-Piece crankshaft yes ---

No oil at idle yes ---

U.S. Consumer warranty 2 years 1 year

U.S. commercial warranty 120 days 90 days

EPA Compliance period (engine hours) --- ---

Brownpot Deaton

Brownpot Deaton

ArboristSite Operative
we used the cs-56,52,4? in bonfire..i dont know what it was with them but we could NEVER cut faster than a stihl 028 or husky 55rancher....EVER....granted..we brutalized them beyond belief......in fact i kinda feel sorry for them...but we always had problems keeping them running...even with fresh full chisel they were slow...
the cs-42?? was the fastest cutting one ...and it would barely out cut a mini mac...and before anyone says anything..these were donated straight from a dealership ...straight from the shelf...i hate them worse than poulans...

now maybe we just got something bad...but that was our experience...ill sit in a chair before i touch another one...

extraspecialman

extraspecialman

ArboristSite Operative
I do have a 361c,and I think its the best saw Ive ever used as far as power/weight/balance.I just like saws,and want to keep addin to the collection.But at the same time I want high speed top notch saws if Im gonna be spending over $400 for one.The John Deere looks promising,but Im looking more at the CS 62 now.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
The 50cc saw has 3.2 hp, the 56cc has 4.1 hp and the 61cc has 4.7, maybe, well thats what i read.

The 56cc one compares better with the MS341/Husky 359.

Yes, go with the 62cc one, basically the same saw with more power....:)

Here is a German test report on the 56cc version.

It is a tad heavier than advertised, but otherwise the test mostly confirms the specs.

The only real complaints I have seen about those Emak saws is about the antivibe, and then a few about the outside fit and finish.......

Last edited:
TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn

ArboristSite Member
The guy that I cut with here and there has one of these saws, I belive it is an Echo saw. Sure looks like it to me anyways. It has an 18" bar and is a killer saw. I cut side to side with him and my 361 clearly has more power and rpm. His saw is no POS by far. I dont know what he paid for it but it sure seemed like alot of saw for alot less then I paid for my saw....lol

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
The guy that I cut with here and there has one of these saws, I belive it is an Echo saw. Sure looks like it to me anyways. It has an 18" bar and is a killer saw. I cut side to side with him and my 361 clearly has more power and rpm. His saw is no POS by far. I dont know what he paid for it but it sure seemed like alot of saw for alot less then I paid for my saw....lol

That's about it, I believe - the truth that is....

Latest posts