joists and purlins

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redoak

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I finally put together a jig for cutting small logs (less than 9" diameter) to produce joists and purlins for the barn. These members only need to be sawn on one face. As you can see from the pictures I attached some prickly cleats to the crib to keep the logs from moving under the saw. The rails are level and parallel to the cleats. Small adjustments can be made by putting a wedge under the tapered end if necessary. By lining up similar sized logs I was able to minimize the number of height adjustments on the mill.

Got about 20 joists and 10 purlins in a days milling. Sure made a lot of sawdust yesterday!

View attachment 81132

View attachment 81133

View attachment 81134

-redoak

Well Done! You should sleep well tonight.That's alot of milling in one day.They look like they will be real strong.Great job!:clap:

Good job. You're improving your methods by leaps and bounds as you go through this project. You will be glad years from now that you have all these pics.

I have removed hundreds of feet of slabbed joists and sills, most rotted because they were not debarked! If I were building something that much trouble, I'd consider having them pressure treated!

Nice work,

Lookin' good redoak! I'm excited to see you put some wood in the air... I hope you plan on taking more pictures!:cheers:

Once again A+ Great job that looks like a very adaptable design you could use that for lots of stuff if you set up at one site good work thanks for all the pics!

I have removed hundreds of feet of slabbed joists and sills, most rotted because they were not debarked! If I were building something that much trouble, I'd consider having them pressure treated!

Nice work,

I agree on de-barking, don't give the bugs a place to start. The pressure treatment, I'd be a BIG NO - Even for a barn. As long as the roof & sills are good, a well built barn will outlast all of us. And then some.

Thanks for all the thumbs up. All of you on this forum have been extremely helpful getting started with CSM'ing.

De-barking is essential to keeping the insects and fungus from getting a foothold. No need for fancy treatments though. I live on a 200 year old farm and the barn's first floor joists are single faced 12" deep logs, solid enough to drive the truck on them. Keep an old barn dry and it will last a long long time.

-redoak

Latest posts

Back