jonesred 670 vs Husqvarna 266

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fettlst

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hi, i just got a jonesred 670 project saw. Is it the same saw as a Husqvarna 266? well i do see its red and has a different top cover and chain brake style. is the cylinder and piston the same? will they interchange? what about the carbs and mufflers will they work back and forth? Thanks

Jonsered 670 and other jonsered models

hi, i just got a jonesred 670 project saw. What other Jonsereds are about the same saw? While building huskys l know the 61,66,266,are pretty much the same and some 268 and 272 parts will work back and forth. what is the 670 like in the jonesred world? Thanks

Generally the 670 is the same saw as the 266xp. There was also a 268 with closed ports at about the same time the 272 replaced the 266.

Jonsered 625 is same as Husky 61 (open port "base" model)
Jonsered 630 is similar but closed port hot rod similar to Husky 162;
Jonsered 670 corresponds to Husky 66/266.

Be aware that there are some obvious diff's, like plastic covers and handles, and some less obvious ones like diff's in cylinder/piston outsource mfgrs, especially between periods of production. There were also an early and late style cranks with different clutch mounting threads. The original husky 61 was first available in around 1977, and the design didn't change much until the "3" series about 10 years ago.

Major difference is the intake setup.670 is with a rubber boot while 266 is a plastic flange.Carbs bolt length are different too.670 carb has a different idle bolt position ,but you can use the 266 carb.Muffler is the same.

thanks, what was the run date for the 670? could i use the sawm piston and cylinder for a 266 of the same year. does anyone know where i can get IPLs for the 670? Thanks again

hi, i just got a jonesred 670 project saw. What other Jonsereds are about the same saw? While building huskys l know the 61,66,266,are pretty much the same and some 268 and 272 parts will work back and forth. what is the 670 like in the jonesred world? Thanks

For the externals you can use parts from the 625, 630, and 670.

I swapped the carb from a 670 to my 61, but the choke linkage was too short. Works great, however. I am using a piece of wire for the choke until someone can suggest a piece that will fit. The 61 I have had the manual choke release, so moving up to the 670 style and the throttle release is nice. Just wish I could get rid of the wire.....Looks a little bit too "MacGyver" for my taste.

Didn't mean to wander off topic. Definitely liked the model comparison/correlation. Thanks, eyolf!

The 670 also has the external vacuum from the side of the cylinder to the carb. The 266 has the internal vacuum through the bottom of the cylinder through the manifold to the carb.

Pistons are both 50mm and they both have the same stroke.

The subtle differenses somehow made the Jonsered versions better performers at a given time, specially the Super/Champ......:)

You can find an IPL and User maual at this site.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back