Jonsered 2139t phantom gas leak/running funny

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

802climber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So my newer but well broken in 2139t has finally been acting up..

Hard to reproduce the problem unlike most air leaks I have had on other saws.. It has happened only several times over like 2 weeks of running it every day.

It seems to do this when I am first running it for the day, often when it has been hanging from my saddle.

It starts up great then I rev it a few times and get it running smooth, it will run at WOT just fine but I stick it to some wood and it gurgles like it's gonna die. Then back to WOT just fine, put it back in the cut and it just won't go.

This is sometimes accompanied by a gas leak, sometimes during the climb or later in the truck or when I haven't been running it at all. This gas shows up on the bottom and front of the saw, it comes down between where the large silver metal plate inside the clutch cover (that the dogs and chain catcher attach to) meets the plastic.

Couldn't find any loose gas lines, doesn't seem to be coming from carb. I don't drop or bash this saw other than regular abuse from climbing.
Had the saw out today trying to find the source of the leak, was pushing the primer ball (which I usually never touch) with the saw off and gas came out this green plastic nipple just under where the throttle linkage meets the carb. Is this a tank/pressure vent?

I am kind of confused.. I could post some pictures if you guys are too.

Thanks a lot.

Does it sound like just the coil to you? And the leak is just the gas tank pressure vent? If that's what that green thing is? It seems to leak when I have a full tank.

It does really seem like a carb or coil issue rather than an air leak. Because it starts, idles and screams just fine its just ornery in wood but then it decides to work.

Looks like I can get a 338 coil for like 35 bucks not sure if it was OEM.. May just pop one in there myself and screw the warranty. I know I sure don't want to send the saw off to corporate. Haven't found a Jonny dealer here that will give me the time of day once I say "warranty"... The only one that would talk to me admitted he had never worked on a trim saw.
Meanwhile I can't even pay the local Husky dealer to touch it. They won't even tune/tach this saw... WTB a junked 338xpt with good plastic.....

Last edited:
this thread should be a reminder to all that read it that it realy doesnt matter what make of saw you buy if you dont have a good servicing dealer your going to have problems !

and yes i have learned this same lesson i will never buy a saw again that there isn't a good dealer close if want to check out my troubles just search husky 450 problems

Yeah you got that right.... I had one five minutes away but then I moved across the country. Into...uh... Stihl country.

Last edited:
The tank breather on those saws 335/338 are dodgy, the "porous" nylon plugs are useless and get stifled, those finicky little husky TH saws play up and lose tune because of it. I fix the husky by plugging a one-way breather valve in the lid. Also if gas leaks inside the airbox, it'll run rich and conk out at idle and be hard to start. But, running out of steam in the cut could be debris clogging the strainer screen in the carb. Usually caused from split fuel hose in the tank or buggered fuel filter. PS these saws are easy to strip and dis-mantle, heaps simpler than a 200T

2f2f.jpg

2e2e.jpg

Mine would tach about 12000 and bog in the cut,start it 2 minutes later and it would be screaming.Adjusting the carb had no real effect.

Thanks a lot for the info.

pgg: You are saying that you plug the breather in the airbox near the carb and you install a breather in the gas cap? Where do you get the one you put in the gas cap?

My saw was definitely running rich whenever the breather was puking gas but other than that I still don't know if I was having a coil or fuel issue because I haven't had a problem in almost 2 weeks.

Back