Jonsered 5100 Bar Adjust Screwup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logbutcher

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A running buddy just bought his first saw, a used Jred 5100. He was tightening the chain by pulling the bar out by hand, then cutting. Cutting then pulling the bar out to tighten it! The adjustment PIN would not fit into the bar hole; it somehow had been reversed and wouldn't slip into the bar. I reversed it to fit into the bar hole and properly use the screw to tighten the chain and move the bar.
I never saw this before with any saw. How could this happen ? Did I miss something with the Jred and screw it up ? It's my first Jred.
BTW: he's an Internist with the state, but will not buy or use PPE. This is a Miss Manners thing.

Last edited:
A running buddy just bought his first saw, a used Jred 5100. He was tightening the chain by pulling the bar out by hand, then cutting. Cutting then pulling the bar out to tighten it! The adjustment PIN would not fit into the bar hole; it somehow had been reversed and wouldn't slip into the bar. I reversed it to fit into the bar hole and properly use the screw to tighten the chain and move the bar.
I never saw this before with any saw. How could this happen ? Did I miss something with the Jred and screw it up ? It's my first Jred.
BTW: he's an Internist with the state, but will not buy or use PPE. This is a Miss Manners thing.

Do you mean a JRed 510? Sounds like he has the wrong bar for the saw.

Do you mean a JRed 510? Sounds like he has the wrong bar for the saw.

Right on PB...good going. I didn't even think that it could be the bar....give me a dope slap. :) But reversing the pin on the adjusting screw did do the job. That's what I was worried about....it worked.

Any ideas on how to get a buddy to use PPE without sounding like a S.N. (Safety Nazi ) ?

PM me for help or ideas for your spring CTG ....could do it during this winter on our woodlot near Bucksport. How about a tour through the Orono Wood Labs ?

Any ideas on how to get a buddy to use PPE without sounding like a S.N. (Safety Nazi ) ?

How about pictures of chainsaw injuries? I would bet some of the guys have some pretty nasty pics of some injuries sustained while cutting. All I have is the scar, nothing much to look at, but hurt like heck at the time.

How about pictures of chainsaw injuries? I would bet some of the guys have some pretty nasty pics of some injuries sustained while cutting. All I have is the scar, nothing much to look at, but hurt like heck at the time.

Nice thought. This is a guy who competes with us in Orienteering (international running with map and compass finding marked coordinate points on the map ). Something ex Rangers know. He's worked in E.R., has stitched up mucho slices, and had a few himself. He knows. We're always getting some kind of minor cuts running in the woods, banging into trees, tripping, or getting caught in barbed wire. Never get lost, just misplaced. "O Meets" are held in any weather, sometimes at night, sometimes in a 24 hour run, and on XC skiis. Fun actually. Chainsaws are a whole different ballgame. They can kill-- you can actually bleed out (femoral artery ) in under 4 minutes for you EMT's out there. Saw cuts are most common on your left thigh. He won't listen. His wife in fact calls him a f___n old fart for not getting PPE.

Back