Jonsered 52 throttle linkage flops around

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ba_50

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a Jonsered 52 and the trigger rod flops around and won't push the roller that I believe operates the throttle plate. How can I fix it?

While doing a search, it said that collectors are interested in this saw.
Do you have any idea what they are worth?

Thanks.

WOuldnt know about the trigger subject... but i have a very nice running
52e. Starts perfectly for its age. The only problem ive had with it is the oiler pump, i can take the bar off and watch the oil come out, and also when i put the bar back on. But when i want to cut with it it seems to not lubricate very much on the chain. I personly would never sell this saw for any amount, becouse it was my fathers. And i wouldnt have a clue what thier worth. Occasionly you can find older jonsered parts and saws on ebay

Hi,

I've got a Jonsered 52 and the trigger rod flops around and won't push the roller that I believe operates the throttle plate. How can I fix it?

Thanks.

Dunno if this will help. I had a 625 on which the link would come disconnected. The carb end clips into a small slot on the carb arm. Takes a good push to get it in there. May be the same on yours.

Harry K

I haven't used the 52 before so I couldn't help you on the oiler.

There is one other problem and even though I soaked the carb in cleaner and know that the needle isn't sticking, the gas isn't getting to the plug.

Maybe someone can tell me about that. Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks.

When you say it flops around, does the metal strip that is supposed to push the throttle rod move or does the trigger move and nothing else does?

If everything is moving and it just isn't hitting the roller for the throttle rod, I would bet that your plastic clip that holds down the throttle linkage is broken or missing(clutch side of saw on the edge of the case). If only the trigger is moving, you must have a broken connection in the handle or maybe it popped off or came loose.

As for the gas problem, are you sure your diaphram in the carb is good? How about the fuel filter and fuel line?

Do you have the jets adjusted properly? Start with 1 turn out on each. That will let you know if you are getting fuel. Did you check the level of the metering lever? It should be flush with the casting around it. Too low and it won't allow the needle to open, too high and it will flood out.

WOuldnt know about the trigger subject... but i have a very nice running
52e. Starts perfectly for its age. The only problem ive had with it is the oiler pump, i can take the bar off and watch the oil come out, and also when i put the bar back on. But when i want to cut with it it seems to not lubricate very much on the chain. I personly would never sell this saw for any amount, becouse it was my fathers. And i wouldnt have a clue what thier worth. Occasionly you can find older jonsered parts and saws on ebay

Did you increase the oil output with the same results?

Bama,

I didn't notice a plastic clip, so it must be missing. The carb had a new kit installed and there was gas in it when I took it apart for cleaning. I didn't know about the metering lever adjustment.

I've worked on lawn mower motors, cars, and outboard motors. I haven't seen a system like this one. There doesn't apprear to be any reed valves. In fact it looks like the gas goes back out the other side of the carb and into the side of the saw, not directly behind the carb. If that is so, I wonder if something could be plugged up on that side?

One other thing, even though it has spark it doesn't fire when carb cleaner is put in the spark plug hole.

Bama,

I didn't notice a plastic clip, so it must be missing. The carb had a new kit installed and there was gas in it when I took it apart for cleaning. I didn't know about the metering lever adjustment.

I've worked on lawn mower motors, cars, and outboard motors. I haven't seen a system like this one. There doesn't apprear to be any reed valves. In fact it looks like the gas goes back out the other side of the carb and into the side of the saw, not directly behind the carb. If that is so, I wonder if something could be plugged up on that side?

One other thing, even though it has spark it doesn't fire when carb cleaner is put in the spark plug hole.

The 52 is one of the few saws I have not worked on from that production era. I had a 49sp a few years ago, but I used it and never needed to work on it. You will not find any reeds on these saws. I don't have an IPL for that saw, so I am assuming it is like the 521 or 451 that I have. I am not sure what you mean by coming in one side of the carb and going out the other. Could it be the tank vent? There should be one hose going to the carb, unless there is another from the cylinder(impulse hose). BUt, I don't think this saw had an impulse line.

HAve you tried a new plug? It could be that or else a weakness in the electrical system. Also, I would use mixed gas for prime since it still has lubrication properties(my personal preference). I don't suppose you could post a pic or e-mail me a pic of the carb and linkage. Then I can do a better job of helping you.

Heres a photo:

Slso, I found the plastic piece that guides the throttle, so that problem is solved.

The float spring was off center too.

The float lever isn't level with the carb body though. I'm wondering if the spring should be cut or the lever bent? Probably the latter.

Last edited:
update

I worked on it some more today. I got the trigger working correctly. The carb was put together okay, although the lever wasn't level with the carb top. The needles were opened 1 to 2 turns yet there isn't any gas getting to the spark plug. The compression read 60#.

Thanks.

Bend the lever so that it is flush with the casting around it. When you tested compression, did you use one for 2-cycles? It needs a valve in the end(schrader--sp??). At 60#, it shouldn't ever start. This saw should pull at least 130, probably.

If your tester has the valve, then pull the recoil several times until the gauge doesn't go up anymore.

Glad you found the piece for the throttle linkage. It looks similar to my 451 on the inside.

It should draw fuel up the line unless there is someting causing the needle to stick shut or if your line has a restriction or a big cut in it. Did you check the filter and hose?

52 update

This time I got the lever arm level with the casting. The 60 # reading didn't have the air valve in it. My lawnmower also read 60# and it runs great.

I cleaned the fuel filter and blew threw the hose. The spark plug is still dry after pulling 8x. It has good compression because that about wears me out.

It should run.

It has a new carb kit in it. The motor wouldn't fire with gas in the carb throat. I've soaked it in Gunk cleaner for a few hours and squirted cleaner through the holes several times.

After about 20x ya get tired of that! Something must be plugged up or a diaphragm isn't working right.

I don't understand why it doesn't fire with gas in the plug hole or in the throat.

This is a solid state isn't it?

Last edited:
I am assuming you have a new plug in there. Also, did you hook the diaphram in the little notch of the metering lever? If it won't fire with fuel in the cylinder and you have spark with the plug, it could be a weakness in the electrical system. This saw has points/condensor underneath the flywheel. Maybe a bad condensor? With good compression, it should pop with fuel in the plug hole or in the carb.

When you rebuilt the carb, how was the gasket that joined the carb to the intake plate? The new ones I get with the kits don't quite fit and I have to make my own or else they will suck air from the impulse hole in the intake plate.

It stinks when these things should work and don't! Been there and done that many times!

I am going to have to give up on this one. I soaked the carb all day and night and squirted cleaner through the holes. Everything looks ok but still no gas getting to the plug.

You seem to have given it a lot of effort. Next step would be take it somewhere and have them take a look. Find a shop you trust, or I would be glad to take a look at it. N/C, except you pay the postage. PM or e-mail me if you are interested. Sorry it didn't work out for you, so far. The 49sp I had was a great little saw.

Brad

Latest posts

Back