jonsered 801

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrightk20

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey guys i have recently got my hands on a jonsered 801 that has sat for quite a few years. I dumped the old gas out and filled with fresh gas and then put some in the cylinder to get it running and it popped off. i have adjusted the screws to get a decent idle but it seems to bog out a little before reving up. I'm thinking that i'm in need of a carb kit to bring it into good running condition and i would also to replace the fuel line and filter in the tank. i pulled the filter out of the tank and it has a crimped ring on it so i'm assuming that i have to replace the filter and hose as one unit but i am having a had time finding one. anyone know where to get one. it also looks like it has a crimped ring on the top of the tank also that is a plate with a gasket to seal it to the tank. Thanks for any advice. Kevin

That is the stock old style Jonsereds filter which was not changed out but serviced. These consist of a felt outer filter and a sintered brass inner filter. Remove the allen bolt and black plastic cap from the end of the filter and you can then slide off the felt.....if is not hardened up from varnish...soak it in lacqer thinner and blow it and reuse. also wash and blow out the inner filter as well. If the felt is beat I have bought the felt type filters off ebay, removed the felt and cut it down in length and used it on the Jred filter...it's a tight fit and takes some fussing but will work. Jonsereds used to sell just the felts but they have been NLA for yrs. Do not just use the ebay weighted felt filters alone as there is no inner filter and the felt fuzz will very quickly plug up your final fuel filter (inside the carb). Or you can eliminate the stock filter and just go with the white Husky type filters.
As for the fuel line, these tend to last very well but if yours is sticky or has holes you can just pull the line off the stock filter and tank vent housing and replace with 5-6" of the correct size Tygon. The metal "squish" clamp is not needed with tygon

Latest posts

Back