Jonsered 920 - Air Filters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bogiemsn

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I might find new or very lightly used air filters for my Jonsered 920?

I picked up this saw earlier in the year. and have used it only once. I went to clean out the air filter last night and found that I had some fine saw dust in the carb. intake. What are the chances that the saw has been permanently damaged from this?

Obviously I'd like to get a new air filter but I haven't had any luck with that in the past. The filter on the J'red 920 is basically a shallow plastic box with solid sides and flocked screens on the top and bottom. There was a bit of a gap between the top and bottom half of the box. Also the flocking is thin in several places.

If I can't get a new filter I'm thinking of moding or rebuilding the old one. I have several ideas for doing this. I wanted to bounce my ideas off of you folks. My first option would be to fill the interior of the box with some kind of filter media such as foam rubber or scotch brite. The second option would be to remove the existing flocking and recover the surface of the filter with felt or some kind of fine plastic or wire mesh.

What do ya think?

Can you tell me more about the 930 top cover? I know the 920 and 930 used some of the same parts. Does the 930 top cover have more readily available filters?

It is a tough deal to find a filter for those.
I am changing to a 930 top cover so I can use that filter.

Can you tell me more about the 930 top cover? I know the 920 and 930 used some of the same parts. Does the 930 top cover have more readily available filters?

Same mount as the 920, but the air filter and carb mount is different. Also, the cover for the Air filter is different. As to filter availability....Don't know.

Last edited:
I have some really good used

And may have a noew one for the 920 I will have to look saturday.

The LAST thing you want to use as a filter media is scotchbright as it has abrasive molded into the fiber strands.

I had a guy try exactly that and the engine pulled in a couple of small strands when he blew it off with compressed air.

Open cell foam works but you need to test for fuel resistance or it makes a gooey mess.

Pantyhose always work

"Panty hose always work"

I'm a garter belt man myself. Images of Susan Sarandon in "Bull Durham".

Please let me know if you have any filters.

Yeah, I've thought again about scotch brite and agree it was a bad idea. See the second post in this thread, http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=64875. See if you think this is a better way to go.

My basic plan is to retain the structure of the oem filter (the four sides) but remove the filter media (the flocked parts on the top and bottom) and replace the top and with an ultrafine stainless steel mesh. And then put polyester felt filter inside the oem filter. This will make a sandwich where 60 micron mesh is the bread and the 25 micron poly felt is the meat. If it's too restrictive I can always re move the poly felt or switch to more course inner filter. the polyester felt should be fuel safe but I will test it as well.

Thanks for your help PES+.

Last edited:
Same mount as the 920, but the air filter and carb mount is different. Also, the cover for the Air filter is different. As to filter availability....Don't know.

Yes, 920 filters are few and far between. A filter for the 930 is a much easier proposition. Once you switch over the covers and filter mount, you can use filters from a 625, 630, 670 Jons and be able to install the filter cover. Or, you can use a 288 Husky filter minus a cover. I've got 3 spare filters now.

Chris B.

Latest posts

Back