Jonsered 930 died today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Bennett

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My old Jonsered 930 died today while cutting a 4 foot oak stump off near the ground. Gas mix was right, sounded good , just died in the cut and was smoking, Plug was the proper tan color, pulled muffler and to my disgust the piston was toast, pulled the jug, and its damaged too. Not sure If i want to drop the money into the parts cause the oiler seems to be slowing down and I have alot of nice big stihls, I liked this saw for dirty jobs like cuting off stumps and cutting dirty wood. Any Idea how why if everything seemed right why she blew?

I melted the impulse hose once on mine, but I did hear it change. As to if it is worth it.....You can still get seals and a piston. You can find cylinders, too. They also do pretty well on eBay as parts saws if you don't want to fix it up. Lots of options.

I was wearing double ears and probally should have heard a change but was in a big stump with a long bar and it was bogging at times, makes me sick, it was a cool day so I did not notice the saw getting hot till it was too late. I checked out ebay and it seems it may be cheaper to buy one rather than rebuild mine.

I was wearing double ears and probally should have heard a change but was in a big stump with a long bar and it was bogging at times, makes me sick, it was a cool day so I did not notice the saw getting hot till it was too late. I checked out ebay and it seems it may be cheaper to buy one rather than rebuild mine.

Wouldn't it be cool if saws all had some sort of cheap but effective heat overload warning system?

Sucks that you can blow up a saw that quickly without any real abuse :frown:.

I bet a dollar to a hole in a doughnut she was sucking air.

I almost lost my recent ported 820 to it, and it don't take'em long to melt down either.

It's worth redoing IMO, but I know they are a dated heavy saw.

<SNIP> Any Idea how why if everything seemed right why she blew?

Well judging from your pic you are a blonde so it could be most anything. Did you mix any oil with the gas? :biggrin:

Being serious however, I find it interesting the piston is damaged and the plug tan. If it were running lean I'd expect the plug to show it. Is there a chance it was just overheated from hard work and poor airflow, possibly with a bunch of sawdust on the fins and cylinder?

Last edited:
I'm with Metals on the sucking air probability. That happened to the original powerplant on my 920 when it was only about 3yrs old. It had a leak in the boot. I also was stumping a 30in Beech when it suddenly screamed & died with plenty of heat & smoke. That is a sick feeling. I replaced the whole works( jug, piston, crank, bearings, etc.). In other words, it received a "heart transplant". This was around 1987. It has been perfect ever since. There's a good chance I may sell that saw. I'm 74 & have enough arthritis to make me uncomfortable handling that much weight & power. Don't remember if I was using the 24 or 34in bar when "IT" happened.

Sad news. Sorry to hear.
I have one I that hope to bring back to cutting shape. P/C look good. Anti-vibe/bar mounts are toast. Maybe you all know of a source for these ?

Thanks For the help & sympathy, It does really suck to blow one, It has never happend to me and I have been running saws for 20+ years. I know it was tuned slightly rich, I tune all my saws by tac, ear/sound, and plug color. I know the gas mix was right. I figure it had to be a massive air leak or overheated from overload or the oiler stopping. Guess it dont really matter though, Im gonna think on it a day or two and decide weather to sell it or rebuild it. I just dont like the idea of rebuilding it then haveing to find the problem that caused to blow and put more money into a 30 year old saw when I have a 440 460 and 660 running great. However I cant bring myself to but my felling and bucking saws near the ground. Decisions, decisions

Ray - I have a 920 that is fairly complete but no spark. I can check the compression if you're interested.

I did not pay too much for this parts saw but as you are aware, shipping half way across the country comes at a price.

Mark

Mark-

If Ray isn't interested in the 920 then I would be. I'm doing three later this spring, all complete rebuilds. One will have a Wiseco 066 piston and rings.

Ray-

It seems like a big job but rebuilding those saws is fairly straightforward.

Ray - I have a 920 that is fairly complete but no spark. I can check the compression if you're interested.

I did not pay too much for this parts saw but as you are aware, shipping half way across the country comes at a price.

Mark

What would you want before shipping, Sounds like either myself or Jacob will take it off your hands

Latest posts

Back