Jonsered 930

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the pics. If topends weren't so hard to find I'd grind a little on my 920. Old saw, nice shape, and I really don't need anything out of it. So I'll leave it be, easier to sell someday too.

Metal or Plastic recoil covers were another change, not likely aligned with any model change - I have both.

Thanks for the pics. If topends weren't so hard to find I'd grind a little on my 920. Old saw, nice shape, and I really don't need anything out of it. So I'll leave it be, easier to sell someday too.

Metal or Plastic recoil covers were another change, not likely aligned with any model change - I have both.

Yup. The metal starter was a holdover from the 910 on the early 920's.

Sweeet

This is the most perfect timing for Mark to get this saw. I just sourced one too and was looking for a little info on it! Nice...

Good pictures Spike, explains even more. Nice to know about the metal recoil covers as well. In my experiances yesterday working on this saw, I found another difference, the 930 used a metal screw clamp on the intake boot where it fastens to the cyl while the 920 used a bailing wire type clamp instead.

I saw that wire clamp and it brought back instant bad memories of trying to get a intake boot sealed up on a less then favorite Jred 520 :msp_rolleyes:

I should say the whole reason of this thread was just to make sure a less then straight up used chainsaw parts business on the east coast was being honest with me. Turns out they were not. Seems they sent a 920 cover to me after I plainly asked for a 930 cover and then tried to tell me that it was used also on the 930, then trying to squeeze more money out of me offered me a conversion kit as they called it with filters, manifolds and such. I dont play well with those kinds of games.

Enough of that though, I did get the saw put together yesterday and its running pretty darn good. Found I still need a couple things as the clutch spring is shot as well as the brake band. Oh and I still need a good 930 cover. :hmm3grin2orange:

Spike, what saw used a set of bar studs that will screw into the 10mm holes in the case and allow me to use 9mm slot bars?

I really dont want to be stuck with 1 certain bar for this..

Gasp!!

Spike, what saw used a set of bar studs that will screw into the 10mm holes in the case and allow me to use 9mm slot bars?

I really dont want to be stuck with 1 certain bar for this..

That really would be tragic! Like you don't have any other saws to use! :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

The 8mm 2094 stud might fit. (Not really sure).

But........you're still going to have 10mm holes in the bar plates and the side cover and it's going to be a sloppy fit. :eek2:

The 8mm 2094 stud might fit. (Not really sure).

But........you're still going to have 10mm holes in the bar plates and the side cover and it's going to be a sloppy fit. :eek2:

Yeah, I already thought about that. I figure a guy could whip up a set of correct sized steel spacers on the lathe and press fit them into the cover to take care of that.

Yeah, I already thought about that. I figure a guy could whip up a set of correct sized steel spacers on the lathe and press fit them into the cover to take care of that.

What about a 1mm metal figure "8" clip that slips over the 8mmstuds? Gives you the 10mm you need. Seen that on a chainsaw somewhere once. Should be easy enough to make.

What about a 1mm metal figure "8" clip that slips over the 8mmstuds? Gives you the 10mm you need. Seen that on a chainsaw somewhere once. Should be easy enough to make.

I think you misunderstood. I want to go to 9mm studs but they end up 8mm though the clutch cover which will be a sloppy fit there. I'm talking about makeing steel ring spacers to fit in the clutch cover holes to eliminate that mismatch there with the smaller studs. I think I just found out what studs I need also, will find out tomorrow.

I think you misunderstood. I want to go to 9mm studs but they end up 8mm though the clutch cover which will be a sloppy fit there. I'm talking about makeing steel ring spacers to fit in the clutch cover holes to eliminate that mismatch there with the smaller studs. I think I just found out what studs I need also, will find out tomorrow.

Oooohhhh. You're right, I was thinking the gap between the studs and the bar groove.

I am by no means a Jonsered expert.. but with that, customers that actually bought the 920s with 930 air filtration, the way they currently have them, says a lot about how things were sold to them. they are not confused "old people", its simply fact of how they received them.

Yes they most certainly came with 930 parts.. I have a 920 super here that the guy bought brand new from a JRED dealer.. He cut a few trees with it and put it on the shelf. I bought it from him about 1 year ago. He bought it in the condition that I have it currently brand new from the dealer. The serial number plate was actually hand stamped with the model number over the black printed text.. kinda strange if you ask me in regards to the serial number plate...

I talked to a few other JRED guys (from way back) that said that they saw a few 920s that came at the end of the production cycle and Jonsered was not going to stop building 920s because they "ran out of 920 top covers, so they were using 930 topcovers/filters/necks/etc and selling them as such. He said that dealer feedback to Jonsered was that the 920s are being left on the shelves because people wanted the 930 air filtration on the saw and NOT the 920 air filtration on the saw. Makes perfect business sense if you ask me.. Scrap the 920 air filtration / cover setup and simply install a 930 air filters setup in order to get the 920s off the shelf.

So yes, you can have a 920 / 920 super from the factory with a 930 top on it.

Now this 920 super I have, near mint condition with about 20 hours on it, has a 920 piston and cylinder on it.

Latest posts

Back