Jonsered Bar Sprocket - To Grease or not to Grease?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aharris

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey, do you guys use the grease pen on the sprocket? I was told "don't bother" when trying to buy one @ a JRED dealer. I figure the hole is there for a reason, just double checking to make sure I got accurate maintenance info.

Thanks,

I grease the ones that have holes and don't worry about the other ones.

I think the problems start when you only grease occasionally and dirt and debris gets in the old grease and it becomes abrasive.

If you start greasing, keep it up at regular intervals.

I Was Told Either You Graese It Everyday Or Dont At All. . .

+1

If you take apart an old nose sprocket, or find a good diagram, it helps to see what's going on with the sprocket and the cylindrical bearings in there, which need to be lubricated.

If you shoot grease in there through the pin hole regularly, the bearings stay greased. If you never grease the bearings, the bar and chain oil will work it's way in there (between the sprocket and the inside walls of the bar) and lube the bearings.

HOWEVER, if you grease the nose sprocket infrequently, the residual grease and sawdust combine to form a dam that keeps the bar and chain oil from reaching the bearings.

So do it, or don't do it, but don't sometimes do it.

If you have a bar that you have been greasing, or pick up a used one, you can clean out the residual grease with a toothpick followed by some solvent. If a blast of compressed air sends the sprocket spinning, you probably have most of the grease out of there.

Philbert

Dont like to grease...

Like everyone says,,once you start,,you best not stop,,and if you let it go for awhile,,grease will dry up,,and end up toastin a bearing....I let the bar oil do the lubbing for me...

grease um

me i grease the bar tip bearings every time the saw is in for sharpening. the only ones that do not need grease is the Stihl bar. believe me if you do not grease the bar tip you will be sorry. i have a Oregon bar with original tip from 1972 that has out lived 5 sawz with the cost of bars now i say any extra insurance to make the bar last long do it.
:givebeer:

i dont grease mine, we run about 20 saws in my forestry class and never grease any of them. have not changed out a bar in a long time, and only one has had the sprocket brake, and even then you cant say it was from not greasing it the way some kids abuse those things. every time we have decided to replace a bar was because of something else.
i really dont think it matters, but if your really worried about it you could grease it.

If you have a bar that you have been greasing, or pick up a used one, you can clean out the residual grease with a toothpick followed by some solvent. If a blast of compressed air sends the sprocket spinning, you probably have most of the grease out of there.

Philbert

I use break parts cleaner or Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber. Use safety glasses. I use the little red "straw" nozzel thing and blast the solvent into the grease hole. Then I work the nose sprocket to loosten up the grease. Then I use compressed air to clean it all out. By then, the compressed air should make the nose sprocket spin fast. Re-apply grease. Good to go.

JQ

Latest posts

Back