Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IMO, it's a good $150-$175 saw....but eBay buyers will have other ideas. The stripped muffler holes should have been dealt with steel inserts. What he's done is a band aid(if there are only good threads at the bottom of the holes, the studs will wiggle side to side and eventually destroy the good threads). Something funny about the full-wrap too. It's not supposed to terminate on the clutch side where it does. If you look at the pic where the saw is upside down, the handle bar's downturn is supposed to point toward that dog leg crook in the case...yeah I know it's been cut off like most handle bars because of the unobtainium AV mount. So....it's been bent or fabricated poorly....something. It looks like it's pointing toward the front bar stud.

It's weird that J'reds offered the 'jungle ' muffler(louvered) with a top louver and a bottom louver. I have a bottom louver on my 80, but I've certainly seen more top louvered mufflers for sale. Even at that, it's a pretty rare bird to find.

Kevin

I made the Canadian seller an offer on that full-wrap unobtainium AV mount...he took it. I should be horse-whipped for paying that much on one damn AV mount. However, I may be one of the only people in the US to have two NOS ones. I gotta keep tellin' myself something....disgraceful prices......

Kevin

IMO, it's a good $150-$175 saw....but eBay buyers will have other ideas. The stripped muffler holes should have been dealt with steel inserts. What he's done is a band aid(if there are only good threads at the bottom of the holes, the studs will wiggle side to side and eventually destroy the good threads). Something funny about the full-wrap too. It's not supposed to terminate on the clutch side where it does. If you look at the pic where the saw is upside down, the handle bar's downturn is supposed to point toward that dog leg crook in the case...yeah I know it's been cut off like most handle bars because of the unobtainium AV mount. So....it's been bent or fabricated poorly....something. It looks like it's pointing toward the front bar stud.

It's weird that J'reds offered the 'jungle ' muffler(louvered) with a top louver and a bottom louver. I have a bottom louver on my 80, but I've certainly seen more top louvered mufflers for sale. Even at that, it's a pretty rare bird to find.

Kevin

I think the top louvered muffler was the standard later style spark arresting muffler and bottom louvered type was a west coast only thing allowing them to breathe a little more directly (spelled louder) I bought a NOS bottom breathing muffler for my 910 from sawagain......he had both but called the one I got a "west coat" muffler.....I got a sweet deal on it because it was missing the screen and louver.......just so happened I had both NOS in stock......didn't even know what the heck they went to until I saw that muffler. I also have two or three used 80/90 mufflers the exhaust from the bottom that I picked up on ebay from the west coast......been looking for new louvers for those as it seems everyone cut the center louvers out of the covers......or perhaps they just metal fatigued and fell out.

I think the top louvered muffler was the standard later style spark arresting muffler and bottom louvered type was a west coast only thing allowing them to breathe a little more directly (spelled louder) I bought a NOS bottom breathing muffler for my 910 from sawagain......he had both but called the one I got a "west coat" muffler.....I got a sweet deal on it because it was missing the screen and louver.......just so happened I had both NOS in stock......didn't even know what the heck they went to until I saw that muffler. I also have two or three used 80/90 mufflers the exhaust from the bottom that I picked up on ebay from the west coast......been looking for new louvers for those as it seems everyone cut the center louvers out of the covers......or perhaps they just metal fatigued and fell out.

I think on the bottom louvered mufflers the center rots out from fatigue. That's exactly what happened to mine over time. And the screen...that's been gone a loooong time....lol. We talked about this before in here....my idea was to make a hardwood jig, pound in some fresh metal and cut the louvers out with a Dremel. Ambitious project that may never happen...lol.

Kevin

View attachment 553022 View attachment 553024 View attachment 553027 View attachment 553028 View attachment 553031

Fellas -

Lots of flea markets in the area. One of them had a few interesting saws that I took a few pictures of yesterday -- one was a larger Ladoni and the other was a beautiful retro looking Jonsered that was hiding behind a bunch of saws in the corner of the seller's shed.

After a bit of Googling, I realized that the Jonsered was likely a Raket XF - a 60's vintage muscle saw with 110cc!

5 minutes later, I was headed back to the market to pick it up. Only set me back $50!

Just did a basic cleanup today and took some pics. It's mostly there, but missing the starter assembly. Pulled the head to measure the cylinder and it came in right at 56 mm. Piston looks great.

Not sure if I'm going to keep it, sell it, or swap it, but it sure is a cool old muscle saw!

If anyone knows where I can get parts, please let me know. Also, if anyone wants to take a stab at value, I'd be curious to hear this as well.

Scott

Scott,
Great find! However, due the age and scarcity of the parts, just about anything for the saw is troublesome. I think your best bet is to search the AS archives and see who bought this model saw....there's been quite a few over the yrs. Maybe you can work something out with them. They may make you an offer you can't refuse...lol.

It's gonna be worth whatever you can get for it. Saws like that have no fixed market value at present....or even a range.

Kevin

I was correct...there was a SEM electronic tester..Husky part # 50 25 124-01. I'd post a pic, but the only one I ever saw was in a shop in the early 80's and in the Husky 2100 SM hardcopy....that I've been looking for, for 8yrs.

I would think it could test any SEM module, regardless of what saw it's in.

Kevin

Scott,
Great find! However, due the age and scarcity of the parts, just about anything for the saw is troublesome. I think your best bet is to search the AS archives and see who bought this model saw....there's been quite a few over the yrs. Maybe you can work something out with them. They may make you an offer you can't refuse...lol.

It's gonna be worth whatever you can get for it. Saws like that have no fixed market value at present....or even a range.

Kevin

Kevin -

Ok, thanks for the details. I'll do a search here.

Scott

Kevin -

Ok, thanks for the details. I'll do a search here.

Scott

This is the most recent stuff I've found for it on AS....other threads dated back to 2008 or older. Somebody named 'Uncle Lee' seems to have and know a lot about these old XF saws....if he's still around. That may be the same guy that sold Robin his 111S....'Unc'. He's been in here too if he's one and the same.
http://arboristsite.com/community/threads/jonsereds-xf.248644/

Kevin

This is the most recent stuff I've found for it on AS....other threads dated back to 2008 or older. Somebody named 'Uncle Lee' seems to have and know a lot about these old XF saws....if he's still around. That may be the same guy that sold Robin his 111S....'Unc'. He's been in here too if he's one and the same.

Kevin
You can take it to the bank that Lee IS still around. He's a great guy with a wealth of knowledge, especially on the vintage large displacement saws. Anybody who has spoken or dealt with him knows he is the real deal and he continually contributes a ton to several forums.

You can take it to the bank that Lee IS still around. He's a great guy with a wealth of knowledge, especially on the vintage large displacement saws. Anybody who has spoken or dealt with him knows he is the real deal and he continually contributes a ton to several forums.

Great.....then he would be a wealth of knowledge and maybe a source of parts for the XF. I can't give accolades to someone I don't actually know, but his good reputation proceeds him on AS. Sounds a lot like tbone75, who I do know a little and he did me a solid out of kindness.

Kevin

Kevin

Nope......I've never met or talked to Uncle Lee I don't believe. Bought the 111S through Roncoinc......was a good friend of his saw...Wolfgang....

Back