Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Jonsered 621, It suppositly ran before it was stored for some legnth of time I do not know...

The deal is If I can get it working then It's mine.

It would start, and run for a second or two before turning off, I cleaned it, and took the top off the carberator, sprayed carb cleaner in it. I really don't know much about fixing saws, but i cleaned the carberator, and made sure all the hoses were not gunked up, the fuel filter was covered in oil, I'm soaking that in some degreeser, and was hopeing to get the saw to start withount the little cover.

I got a new sparkplug, and it has spark, I'm not sure if it is getting gas in the cylinders or not, I tried starting fluid, and adding a little gas in the sparkplug hole, but hasn't really worked.

The air filter is allmost pristine, and The filter at the muffler is relitivly clean, although I did not remove all the carbon deposits.

My dad said it could have a problem with compression, but it does feel like it's working when I pull it over.

If this is,or isn't the correct place to post I would appreaciate being told.

You probably have to take the carb apart completely and clean it, and also check to make sure the diaphragm hasn't stiffened up.

Before you do that, pour a bit of fresh mixed fuel into your fuel tank and slosh it around, then pour it out. If there was oil in the fuel tank you want to get it out of there. Do this before you change your filter to clean out any contaminants.

You can buy a new fuel filter from your local saw shop, or you can order <a href="http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=125+532&catID=102">this one from Bailey's</a>. If you want to get this saw going quick, then get one from your local shop. Soaking your current fuel filter in degreaser likely will not get it clean enough for you to use it again.

Next, quit using starting fluid in your saw! These saws run on a mixed fuel and they need the oil to protect the internal components from getting scored. If you want to try and pour fuel into the spark plug hole, then pour a tablespoon or so of fresh mixed fuel into the spark plug hole.

If your saw will not start, then go ahead and strip that carb down and put a carb kit in it. Bailey's has those as well.

I think that's everything for now, but the Jonsereds gurus will add whatever I have missed.

Good luck, Welcome to AS, and let us know how it goes. Keep posting in this thread and we will help you get that saw running.

:cheers:

The more I learn about Jonsereds, the more I want one. I ran Farley's 111S at the PNW GTG, I liked it alot, so much I put an order in for one with my chainsaw guy. I'm thinking that an older one of them 80cc and up would be great.

You know what people say about others that
are going the other way:monkey:

I can't believe it, a Mac diehard wants a Jonny
I'll forgive ya.
The Jonny 90 is a nice saw if you come across one.

Lee

Here are my latest 2 acquisitions.

This is the only pic that I took and did not bother to crop out that odd yellow Homelite Farmcrest Zip (sold exclusively by McLeods Ltd!! :D).

Zip-801-630-CroppedMedium.jpg

The minty 801 is in the middle and the latest 630 is on the right. Both are runners, but neither have cut any wood yet. I am really anxious to get that 801 into some wood, so I might go out tomorrow and bring some logs home for testing.

It was another good day for me, and after next weekend's run (different source) I have to build a building for these and start working on saws.

You probably have to take the carb apart completely and clean it, and also check to make sure the diaphragm hasn't stiffened up.

Before you do that, pour a bit of fresh mixed fuel into your fuel tank and slosh it around, then pour it out. If there was oil in the fuel tank you want to get it out of there. Do this before you change your filter to clean out any contaminants.

You can buy a new fuel filter from your local saw shop, or you can order <a href="http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=125+532&catID=102">this one from Bailey's</a>. If you want to get this saw going quick, then get one from your local shop. Soaking your current fuel filter in degreaser likely will not get it clean enough for you to use it again.

Next, quit using starting fluid in your saw! These saws run on a mixed fuel and they need the oil to protect the internal components from getting scored. If you want to try and pour fuel into the spark plug hole, then pour a tablespoon or so of fresh mixed fuel into the spark plug hole.

If your saw will not start, then go ahead and strip that carb down and put a carb kit in it. Bailey's has those as well.

I think that's everything for now, but the Jonsereds gurus will add whatever I have missed.

Good luck, Welcome to AS, and let us know how it goes. Keep posting in this thread and we will help you get that saw running.

Thanks alot, I actually did get it running today, I don't know if the seals were dry or what happened, but I had to rubber band the trigger wide open to get it to start. I adjusted the high and low carb settings, and now it is starting on the first pull. I don't think it has ever been run much, I found out the rest of the story behind it today, the guy who gave it to me rescued it from a house that had burned down, and it was one of the only things to survive the fire. (apparently even the old man who used to own it burned up...). He used it for a while then it didn't start and has been setting around for over 10 years... I mixed up some new fuel, I still think a new gas filter would probably be needed for the safety of the saw but being a poor college student I didn't want to invest anymore than I had to if I couldn't get it started.

It really has a lot more go than the 20cc Homelite I was using... lol.

I'll post a pic in a few days probably.

Thanks alot, I actually did get it running today, I don't know if the seals were dry or what happened, but I had to rubber band the trigger wide open to get it to start. I adjusted the high and low carb settings, and now it is starting on the first pull. I don't think it has ever been run much, I found out the rest of the story behind it today, the guy who gave it to me rescued it from a house that had burned down, and it was one of the only things to survive the fire. (apparently even the old man who used to own it burned up...). He used it for a while then it didn't start and has been setting around for over 10 years... I mixed up some new fuel, I still think a new gas filter would probably be needed for the safety of the saw but being a poor college student I didn't want to invest anymore than I had to if I couldn't get it started.

It really has a lot more go than the 20cc Homelite I was using... lol.

I'll post a pic in a few days probably.

I'm glad that you got it going! :clap:

Rep sent for that and for letting us know how you made out.

LOL ... yes, it has a bit more torque than a 20cc saw. Right now it is my favorite firewood saw, but that is always subject to change as I try different Jonsereds models out.

Thanks for the update and I'm looking forward to those pics.

Jonsered 751

Hi all, my Uncle has an old 751 and he was hoping to find some info about it. Does anyone have access to old manuals and the like? Also I have a question about my 80. The saw starts fine and idles well, but when it gets hot it dogs out a bit under power. While cutting up some birch last weekend it seemed that I'd get half way through the trunk and lose power. Any advice to help me remedy this problem?

Last edited:
Jonsered 621--missing bucking spike

Does anyone have a bucking spike that they would like to get rid of--I just bought a J-red 621 for $5 at a garage sale--after a couple of hours cleaning--it runs very nicely. The bar and chain are in good shape--but it doesn't have a spike on it.

Let me know if anyone has one to get rid of. Thanks.

Dudley

The very best method would be find someone with a laser or waterjet. However most of us would not have that option so I would use either my bandsaw with a metal cutting blade, or I'm sure you could make a jig saw/saber saw work if you start with a big enough piece so you can clamp it securely.

Mark

I made the spike for my 111S using a drill, a hacksaw, and a grinder. Took a while but came out OK.

A plasma cutter would probably do a pretty good job roughing one out.

111s

I made the spike for my 111S using a drill, a hacksaw, and a grinder. Took a while but came out OK.

A plasma cutter would probably do a pretty good job roughing one out.

Can we see a pic of a 111S somewhere other than on top of a toilet!

Sure thing. I'll get some tomorrow. Don't think I've taken any decent shots of it in five years.

Does anyone have a bucking spike that they would like to get rid of--I just bought a J-red 621 for $5 at a garage sale--after a couple of hours cleaning--it runs very nicely. The bar and chain are in good shape--but it doesn't have a spike on it.

Let me know if anyone has one to get rid of. Thanks.

Dudley

Nice find! Looks like you are right in my backyard. Do you see many old Jonny's down there?

Latest posts

Back