Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
--Bama--
Thanks for the reply--please let me know if you find a spike. I just started looking around here for chainsaws--since I posted my 621 on here I've added a nice red 51 as well. So far those are my only two saws. Thanks for checking on the spike for me. dudley92

--Bama--
Thanks for the reply--please let me know if you find a spike. I just started looking around here for chainsaws--since I posted my 621 on here I've added a nice red 51 as well. So far those are my only two saws. Thanks for checking on the spike for me. dudley92

PM sent.

How good are 49SP's? They pop up pretty regularly on ebay in various states of disrepair. They look similar to my 70E in era which I like very much. If I pick one up can I find parts and tinker it back to life for lighter cutting pleasure? :chainsaw:

49sp

How good are 49SP's? They pop up pretty regularly on ebay in various states of disrepair. They look similar to my 70E in era which I like very much. If I pick one up can I find parts and tinker it back to life for lighter cutting pleasure? :chainsaw:

The 49sp is a great little saw IMHO. Pistons are hard to find in good shape, 52 pistons can be used instead with good results. If you can find a 49sp that is not worn out you will be very happy. In design they are the most like the 70E of any other Jreds. Even use the same trigger handle. They have become quite popular as of late and are bringing higher and higher prices for more worn examples. As with the 70E, parts are NLA except clutches, bars & chains, fuel filters and spark plugs.
These are my favorite Jonsereds.

The 49sp is a great little saw IMHO. Pistons are hard to find in good shape, 52 pistons can be used instead with good results. If you can find a 49sp that is not worn out you will be very happy. In design they are the most like the 70E of any other Jreds. Even use the same trigger handle. They have become quite popular as of late and are bringing higher and higher prices for more worn examples. As with the 70E, parts are NLA except clutches, bars & chains, fuel filters and spark plugs.
These are my favorite Jonsereds.

okay so how many 49SP's do you have running and parts saws? :chainsaw:

49sssssssss

okay so how many 49SP's do you have running and parts saws? :chainsaw:

At this moment I have six running 49sps. Five I have built/rebuilt and one I bought that is in outstanding original condition. I have just acquired enough good parts (P&Cs) to build two more as time allows. Which will give eight runners in excellent condition. I truly have lost track of the number of parts saws as they get mixed in with the 52 and 52Es. Once you remove the black tops and P&Cs you can not tell them apart. Just a rough guess maybe 15 + or - 49s and maybe 10-12 52s. At this time I also have enough good parts to build two more 52s either regular 52s with points ign. or 52Es with electronic ign. What ever I feel like when I start. I do not have the same aversion to points that some have. That kinda dates me I guess!! Also the 52E electronic ign is the same as the early type 70E with the plastic fan and so may be saved for parts for the couple of 70E projects I am working on right now.:cheers:

49sp

Yup! as PB said there are a bunch on E-Bay. One word of caution though, try to make as sure as possible the condition of the P&C these are getting harder and harder to find in good condition. Without a decent P&C a project can get stalled and sit and sit and sit. You can use a piston from a 52 if you can find one. They have two rings and a slightly taller crown but work very well and in MHO are a much heavier duty unit. As you can tell I REALLY like the 49sp so good luck and look for one that has all the paint still on the trigger handle as that is fair way to tell the amount of use the thing has had.:cheers::cheers:

Thanks for the tips on the P&C and paint. I have been "watching" fleebay....waiting....:cheers:

Handle Wear

Unless the handle was cannibalized and put on another saw......:cheers:

That's very true you can never be sure that things are what they seem. I picked up a 49 once that had a really nice looking piston looking in through the exhaust port. Thought this is great!! Took it apart and the piston had no scoring or visible damage but was worn 0.018" which made it just as much a piece of junk as the ones I have on the bench that are scored all to pieces. You just never know what's in a used saw. But in general terms the condition of the paint on older ones is a fair assessment of use. If you have a real nice trigger handle and the rest of the paint is beat that too is an indicator. In the end you have to use all your best judgment to determine just how good a saw is that someone is trying to sell you. Even then you may not succeed in getting a good saw.
However if the first saw you get isn't so good atleast it will make a good parts saw!! Good luck.:cheers::cheers:

Last edited:
I got some more Jonsereds for my collection they all run very well.
Two 49SP's 50 and a 70 E

cut193.jpg

49SP
cut172.jpg

cut175.jpg

cut173.jpg

cut177.jpg

Nice Looking 49s

Those are pretty nice looking 49sps. Those are prime examples of what I was talking about earlier concerning the paint on the trigger handle. Both 49s show little on no hand wear and the rest of the paint in in generally good condition. A little paint wear on one clutch cover probably from rubbing against another saw in the back of a truck.
The 50 show a goodly amount of hand wear on the trigger handle this saw has a few hrs on it. Does not mean it's worn out or even close just means more use. The 70E. has some hrs on it too from the looks. Way good score Bowsaw!! I suspect those 49s are in real good condition and a great addition. Good luck!!

70e

Put about 4 hours on the resurrected 70E today :clap:

I really like it...

Congrats

Excellent getting some hrs on that 70E!! I've been on firewood detail a little bit every day for the last week. Been using one of the 49s for limbing and fitting the small stufff and my newly built and ported 630 Super II for the fitting the trunks. Mostly 16"-20" maple, man that 630 just ripps through that stuff.
I've been stalled on my 70E project need time to build a case splitter. I want it to be able to not only split the case but also pull the clutch side bearing and crankshaft back into the case and also work on most all Jreds saws.

Have you had any luck getting a 49SP yet?

yup

Been watching that one since it came on. Watch them all. Looks to be a good fixer uper. P&C is the usual weak point on those but if they are good then the rest can be fixed/repaired cheaply. Clutch cover looks to be changed out, it seems to have more wear than the rest of the saw. Go for it!! I'm not bidding on it as I have two 49s and a 52 to build right now and don't have time. Good luck!! :cheers:

Put about 4 hours on the resurrected 70E today :clap:

I really like it...

Quoting myself again (sad).

My brother inlaws saw crapped out so I left the 70E with him. It was working good for a couple of weeks but then today he said it started running poorer and poorer and now will not start. He said at first it would only run wide open once he started it then just wouldn't run at all. Takes 15 pulls or so to even fire. (took 2 or 3 to start cold normally).

Is it carb or coil ???:cry:

Latest posts

Back