Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This would have been around the early 80's when this was going on.

Actually the saw in the link I posted would have been a P100 Super as it has the lower handlebar brace and double bucking spikes.

Partner was the originator of the P100 saws, it was descended from the earlier R40 and R440.

I really don't know what all was up with Jonsered at the time this was going on, seems I heard that Jonsered wanted to build a 6 cube saw based on the 920.

What I understand was the brass at Elux wanted no part of the expense in developing that so they painted the P-100 red and told Jonsered here is your new 100cc saw. This I guess is not surprising since Jonsered got some other design features from Partner like the handle bar AV style at this time also.

Might have been good business decisions? I don't know.

Here is a Jonsered lineup from about 82 I guess. Notice the P100 was not the only Partner saw in this lineup at this time. Strange having 3 50cc saws. [ATTA CH=full]471940[/ATTACH]

Not really all that strange for Jonsereds to have 3 50cc saws in the line up. Remember, earlier they were selling the 49sp, 52, 52E and 521E all at the same time too. All built on the same cases and crank (except the flywheel side case half on the 521} yet all rather different from one another...in price as well as power and options.

This would have been around the early 80's when this was going on.

Actually the saw in the link I posted would have been a P100 Super as it has the lower handlebar brace and double bucking spikes.

Partner was the originator of the P100 saws, it was descended from the earlier R40 and R440.

I really don't know what all was up with Jonsered at the time this was going on, seems I heard that Jonsered wanted to build a 6 cube saw based on the 920.

What I understand was the brass at Elux wanted no part of the expense in developing that so they painted the P-100 red and told Jonsered here is your new 100cc saw. This I guess is not surprising since Jonsered got some other design features from Partner like the handle bar AV style at this time also.

Might have been good business decisions? I don't know.

Here is a Jonsered lineup from about 82 I guess. Notice the P100 was not the only Partner saw in this lineup at this time. Strange having 3 50cc saws. View attachment 471940

That is from 1982 as it was the only year the 630 had the metal chainbrake handle. I have a Tilton price list from Sept 1980 that lists the 111S (but strangely has no prices for it). I also have 1982 brochures with and without the 1020. I'm thinking they were from different markets. I also have a 1983 brochure without the 1020. So what I'm leading up to is, I think the 1020 came in as early as 1980 and was probably gone by 1983.

We don't think it was a good business decision and the 'real' J'reds stopped at the 910E. Some of the trashy 5XX saws were seen in dumpsters on the east coast and nearly ruined the Jonsered name...that was a really poor business decision which most likely involved bean counters and not good engineers. Jonsered really only came back from that with the Husky influence IMO.

Kevin

Who is "WE" ?
I must be missing something.

So I had the basics down, not the details. Good enough..

Not really all that strange for Jonsereds to have 3 50cc saws in the line up. Remember, earlier they were selling the 49sp, 52, 52E and 521E all at the same time too. All built on the same cases and crank (except the flywheel side case half on the 521} yet all rather different from one another...in price as well as power and options.

Thanks Robin, I should have known that.

That is from 1982 as it was the only year the 630 had the metal chainbrake handle. I have a Tilton price list from Sept 1980 that lists the 111S (but strangely has no prices for it). I also have 1982 brochures with and without the 1020. I'm thinking they were from different markets. I also have a 1983 brochure without the 1020. So what I'm leading up to is, I think the 1020 came in as early as 1980 and was probably gone by 1983.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking.

Not surprising if the 1020 was only offered in certain places that it wouldn't be listed in all the list.

If I remember right that one I posted came from OZ.

Certainly were different markets;east coast, PNW, upper Midwest, OZ etc. Tilton in Portland, OR was were most J'reds were bought around the PNW back in the day....I don't remember any substantial dealer network around here up until the early 80's.

Did you ever see a brochure that listed the 1020 and the 111S at the same time?

Kevin

But you never saw a brochure with the 1020 and the 111S at the same time, did you? I think that would have been counterproductive for sales.....

Kevin
Speaking of the 111s, I've been trying to acquire one for a while now with no luck. Anyone have a second 111s they want to part with? I'm not talented enough to pick up a project saw, but am not looking for or able to pay for a shelf queen either. Pm me. Happy Holidays!

Luke

"WE" being most of the die hards in this thread that are into the older J'reds.....not the Victorian 'we'.

Kevin
Ok, I should have figured that out.

At least you were able to get the 920 upgraded to a 930 and you did end up with a pretty good saw in the 1020.

The poor Poulan guys always wish for a 100cc based on the 5200, they ended up with the rebranded turd Dolmar 152.

Ok, I should have figured that out.

At least you were able to get the 920 upgraded to a 930 and you did end up with a pretty good saw in the 1020.

The poor Poulan guys always wish for a 100cc based on the 5200, they ended up with the rebranded turd Dolmar 152.

When the available timber started to get smaller here in the early 80's, the 900 series became quite a popular saw with loggers. In talking with some of the loggers that used them, they liked certain points about all the 900's. But most say the weight and unrestirctive free revving of the 910 was a favorite. The caveat being the weak AV's in the rear handle that would rip out if the bar got pinched and you pulled hard. The Partner influenced handles helped that in the 920/930 but the saws started to get heavier and more bloated. The PNW logger they showed in J'red adverts was always using a 910E even if the ad was for a 920 etc.

There's been talk about a rev limiter in the 920 and 930 but I've never seen that substantiated. There were however, Tilly's showing up with governors. From what I can tell, nothing is cut & dry...I had a later production run 80 parts saw with a gov Tilly.

Kevin

Speaking of the 111s, I've been trying to acquire one for a while now with no luck. Anyone have a second 111s they want to part with? I'm not talented enough to pick up a project saw, but am not looking for or able to pay for a shelf queen either. Pm me. Happy Holidays!

Luke

They are around, but you will PAY. The saws have great value on eBay, even in poor shape. You may look yrs for a nice runner, all complete and at a decent price. Your best bet is to find one as a sleeper somewhere. No one seems to have any idea how many were sold in NA, although the PNW seems a favorite spot to find them.

Kevin.

They are around, but you will PAY. The saws have great value on eBay, even in poor shape. You may look yrs for a nice runner, all complete and at a decent price. Your best bet is to find one as a sleeper somewhere. No one seems to have any idea how many were sold in NA, although the PNW seems a favorite spot to find them.

Kevin.
I hear you. Found a guy with a shelf queen that wants $1,200. That's just too steep for me. I don't know what a decent price is for these. There isn't enough that I've seen to establish a going market rate. Thanks Kevin.

Luke

I hear you. Found a guy with a shelf queen that wants $1,200. That's just too steep for me. I don't know what a decent price is for these. There isn't enough that I've seen to establish a going market rate. Thanks Kevin.

Luke

The 111S is the Holy Grail of saws to a lot of peeps....just the way it is. Which seems to indicate their actual #'s in total sales were small. They get whatever they can for them. A yr ago or so, someone posted that they picked one up at a garage sale for $350...very clean. Been talk of some beaters for less than that. Dean here bought a beater off eBay for a decent price, but it required a lot to make it right. Putting them right isn't the big deal as they aren't hard to work on, it's finding the unobtainium parts.

I considered getting one, but it's gotten to the point where it would be foolish to run one hard in the woods with no support....so they've morphed into a collector's saw. Plus, the rear handle screws to the gas tank and if the saw was thrown around a lot, the tank leaks gas at the attachment points.

That's probably your range though;$350-$1,200 on the high side. Certainly if you're collecting old J'reds, it's a feather in your cap to have a 111S as the top end of your stable. Unless things have drastically changed, a few yrs ago, I found forum members willing to sell between $550-$750.

Kevin

LOL...! Yeah well, however "swift" he might be, I don't think he'll get that price.

Well now, if we're trading bookshelf speakers for chainsaws...I'm IN on that game...I'll even rebuild the foam surrounds.

Kevin

LOL...he wasn't/ isn't terribly swift......when I spoke about how it cut.......the chain is on backwards on a saw he wants more than twice what it cost new....

Luke

See post #5196........

On a serious note get in touch with leeha either on here or AS.......he had a very "experienced" 111S he would sell a year or two ago....it may be gone but I doubt it....he has like six.....one being a never started 111S......he has over 500 running saws......and probably that many again that don't run...

See post #5196........

On a serious note get in touch with leeha either on here or AS.......he had a very "experienced" 111S he would sell a year or two ago....it may be gone but I doubt it....he has like six.....one being a never started 111S......he has over 500 running saws......and probably that many again that don't run...

With someone like that who has over a thousand saws, it's usually not about the money when making a deal. More like bargaining with something of interest he may want. I traded a Thompson machine gun once for a M-37. I still miss the Thompson now that they have good, progressive reloading equipment.

Kevin

LOL...he wasn't/ isn't terribly swift......when I spoke about how it cut.......the chain is on backwards on a saw he wants more than twice what it cost new....

Never looked at the saw that closely ...when I saw the price I had my laugh and left.

OMG....I just looked at his chain with the magnifier thingy...LOL!! Crack head.....

Kevin

Back