Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've paid shipping for saws with pounds of cr*p like that on them. Always a 'favorite' thing when I open the box and dismantle the saw.

I honestly believe there is a segment of outdoor power equipment owners who think that stuff doesn't ever need to be cleaned. Like it's self-cleaning or whatever because I can't believe there are that many lazy people in the world. ....:rolleyes:

Kevin

Days like this I ask myself why I have not gotten a parts washer yet!
Every time I see a parts washer @NAPA for sale, I swear I'm gonna come back and buy one. But NAPA sells Chinesium too now.....so it's probably better to go over to Harbor Freight.

We had a pro model in a shop I ran.....it was friggin' amazing.

Kevin

The shiny ring around the flywheel nut looks to be from a recoil pulley rubbing on it a lot, as seen in the pic below:

https://cdn.imagearchive.com/arboristsite/internal_data/attachments/831/831990-a1ba62d3868f209b26cbe8dcf74d4d76.data?response-expires=Fri%2C%2002%20Feb%202024%2018%3A07%3A10%20GMT&response-content-type=image%2Fjpeg&X-Amz-Content-Sha256=UNSIGNED-PAYLOAD&X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=I3UPHPWOPY63ZMOGLZFM%2F20240126%2Fnyc3%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20240126T180711Z&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Expires=604799&X-Amz-Signature=b134eb739d6fa345a97debc77fa59a0576afea49e4a97bf085979f3d04626996

looks like old diesel oil was used as bar oil, and and lot never made it into the tank
We got an old farmer around here that is a major Jonsered fan. Buys them new and takes care of them just like Bobs and uses old base oil from his diesel tractors for bar oil. Talk about a mess......he runs them until they become undependable and buys a new one. I have three of his retired 2071 saws in the shop that he gave to other people. They are in for total rebuilds but for some reason I haven't found the intestinal fortitude to tackle cleaning them up enough to take them apart yet....been 2-3 years.....

The shiny ring around the flywheel nut looks to be from a recoil pulley rubbing on it a lot, as seen in the pic below:

https://cdn.imagearchive.com/arboristsite/internal_data/attachments/831/831990-a1ba62d3868f209b26cbe8dcf74d4d76.data?response-expires=Fri%2C%2002%20Feb%202024%2018%3A07%3A10%20GMT&response-content-type=image%2Fjpeg&X-Amz-Content-Sha256=UNSIGNED-PAYLOAD&X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=I3UPHPWOPY63ZMOGLZFM%2F20240126%2Fnyc3%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20240126T180711Z&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Expires=604799&X-Amz-Signature=b134eb739d6fa345a97debc77fa59a0576afea49e4a97bf085979f3d04626996

Someone likely put on one of the longer air injection pulleys for the wider cover on a narrower/older cover to cause that. Between the all the versions in this family of saws there were maybe 5 different starter pulleys, most of the cross compatibility issues being with which cover it goes with as opposed to which saw.

Someone likely put on one of the longer air injection pulleys for the wider cover on a narrower/older cover to cause that. Between the all the versions in this family of saws there were maybe 5 different starter pulleys, most of the cross compatibility issues being with which cover it goes with as opposed to which saw.

Currently sorting through that wee issue- there is also a variation in bore of the spindle the pulley sits on.
If you have the long shaft pulley it can be cut down to suit the short shaft- but not vice versa. Been there done that with 2077 pulley replacements.
Have the spring and spring cover sitting in the starter- just have not found the random box the correct pulley will be in!
But I have time, I need to track down a new manifold- which will likely have to be imported...... if I can find one that does not cost more than a parts saw once you include shipping.

Cleaned up good Bob!! When you’re looking for pulleys make sure you get the one that fits the center pin in your cover….. there are two different diameters of those too!

Yep- as I stated already above.
There will be a correct pulley here- just have to find where I have put it.

Starts out like this...

View attachment 1147860

...then you use it...

View attachment 1147862

...ends up like this.

View attachment 1147861

But in between I get a lot of saw and parts cleaned up.

Mark
I building another long bench on the opposite wall in my shop. Floor space is at a premium. So....I intend to get a parts washer like that, but 'tabletop' as I'll have plenty of bench space. The only downside to that is getting out the gunk from many washings. I.e., a drain cock at the bottom is not practical.

Yeah, given the prices of real parts solvent, you almost have to filter as much as you can until it goes bad. Same issue with carb clean in those gallon cans with the steel parts tray. I have X's on them to denote how 'used' they are. Those gal carb cans are $40+ here now......insanely absurd!

Kevin

We got an old farmer around here that is a major Jonsered fan. Buys them new and takes care of them just like Bobs and uses old base oil from his diesel tractors for bar oil. Talk about a mess......he runs them until they become undependable and buys a new one. I have three of his retired 2071 saws in the shop that he gave to other people. They are in for total rebuilds but for some reason I haven't found the intestinal fortitude to tackle cleaning them up enough to take them apart yet....been 2-3 years.....
You can't tell them any different. Many of them refuse to use any mix lighter than 16:1 too. The coke & carbon mess in those saw internals is ferocious. When I was loggin', the people who insisted on using used oil for bar oil soon got sorted out, or they were buying a new saw before the season ended. They refused to listen to any advice, especially when real, tacky bar oil came out. Why pay for something specially designed for bars when you could slop tons of used oil through your oiler......:rolleyes:

Best to let them kill their saws and scoop them up for parts. I totally empathize with cleaning someone else's mess, again. I gotta really want that saw.......

Kevin

I've given up on trying to filter it, filters always plug up too quickly. I just let the solids accumulate on the bottom until it gets a couple of inches deep, then tip the whole unit up so the solvent accumulates over the pump and pump it out, finally scoop out the bit of solvent that remains. Surprising how much of the solvent drains out of the solids...I scoop out the solids and put them in a box lined with a few Walmart bags, then use that to start a brush pile on fire, or just burn it in our burn barrel with a mess of paper.

Mark

Latest posts

Back