Jonsered help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quilbilly

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Alright, so I recently picked up a very clean and sweet Jonsered 670 super. After I purchased it, I used it for roughly 5 minutes removing the top of a stump. The next morning I found the chain frozen...the chain brake somehow locked up on the drum, even though the arm was in the off position. So...I got a used (good) band and it fit. Well yesterday I was using it and after 2 minutes I see smoke coming from the clutch cover!! For some reason the brake band is locking up. The clearence between the band and the drum is very close, but fine when the saw is cold. I put a zip tie on the arm to pull it back towards the handle, and the saw ran fine all day. I took the clutch cover/arm assembly apart and found nothing wrong. So the only thing I can think of is the drum is out of round and heating up the band? I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on buying the husky cover off of Baileys web site, but...I have a full wrap, and I think it might not fit.

Any thoughts or ideas??

Check you clutch drum bearing. They can cause the drum to wobble.

+1 :agree2: That's the first thing I'd check too. If that checks out my next thought is to look closely at the moving parts and see if any are worn/bent to the point that the linkage is not holding the break band all the way open. It might be something like this if it works fine with the handle held back with a zip tie. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back