jonsereds 621

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's got the 3/8 8pin sprocket. I'll give it a try--probably in the early morning when it's not 90 degrees and humid :)

Thanks again.

Dudley

SawTroll

The ignition on the 621 and the 80 look identical according to the IPLs, although they have different part numbers.

I was working on one of my 80s last week and again was struck by the similarities of the ignition.

My question is, are these parts interchangeable between the two saws?

Thanks

:cheers:

These are truly great saws. I have three, two are real in real good shape the third is so-so but still starts and runs super even at 10-15 below. They are a bit on the heavy side to lug around in the brush but really excell in the pile. Just let the weight do the work. Very well built and with the regular maintaince will last a very long time. As said earlier in this post the air filter sucks especially in dry dusty wood. I found an NOS filter that was made of spun fiber I think it was for an 80 cutoff saw. I shortened it to fit my 621 case and that works very well. It also has rubber gaskets on either end. On the other ones I use the origonal filter as a prefilter and have installed some very fine filter media inside the old filter. That is better than stock but gets dirty fairly quickly when sawing all day. My all time favorite Jonsereds saw!!! Not as fast as some of the newer stuff but built to last!!!

You'll see!!!!

Good luck:cheers::cheers:

SawTroll

The ignition on the 621 and the 80 look identical according to the IPLs, although they have different part numbers.

I was working on one of my 80s last week and again was struck by the similarities of the ignition.

Thanks

I actually have no idea, but believe they both have Italian ignitions (Pagani, or something like that???).....:)

SawTroll

Thanks

Not to butt in on Nikos answer but the 621 and points model 52 use the same points, condenser and coil but not positive about the mag coil, looks the same but not positive it is the same. Don't have an 80 yet so no experience on those.

I actually have no idea, but believe they both have Italian ignitions (Pagani, or something like that???).....:)

Yes, I believe they do. The 80 does for sure as I was just into mine last week.

Once I line up a dial indicator to set the ignition perhaps I will examine both to see if all marking are identical, and then swap the 621 into the 80 to see if it will work.

Speaking of which, is a dial indicator the only way to set these ignitions? I have a few 621 parts saws that I would like to get running, and I would like to clean up that area and check the wiring. Knowing me I will want to remove the ignitions to get it really clean, and figure that I should know how to set them anyway.

Thanks

SawTroll

Thanks

Edit; Looked it up, sure is Pagani on both - ign timing, breaker pt setting and coil gap also are specked as the same......

Edit; Looked it up, sure is Pagani on both - ign timing, breaker pt setting and coil gap also are specked as the same......

Thank you, Mr. SawTroll, sir. :)

That bit of info will come in handy since 621s are more plentiful around here than 80s are. :D

I don't know cjcocn, my service manual for the 62 and 621 says thats the way to do it. I've had mine apart but never lost the timing as it was set. Seems pretty straight forward if you have a dial indicator that will thread into the spark plug hole.

I pulled mine off completely and the saw ran after I reassembled it. I don't want to be doing that again and expecting it to work. I will be shopping for a dial indicator for future work. :D

This came directly from your service manual? Interesting! :)

I have two 621's now, traded another one to my brother. I don't think I will ever be without at least one. The 621 was the first new saw I ever bought (in 1981) and ran it at my main firewood saw for 27 years before I failed the PTO side bearing. If I'd known then what I know now I could have repaired it quite easily.

I have taken several down and back together again and basically mark the ignition timing and don't look back. So far they all run very well.

As I've mentioned before, the 621 was curing cancer and bringing sunlight long before the 361 Stihl ever came along.

Mark

attachment.php

The one in the back of the photo now lives near Superior, WI and the one I picked up on the way home from that trip (thanks Boyd) looks better that either one of these.

There are a few of us here that like Jonsered chain saws. I own a 621, and while I acknowledge it is heavier than some more modern saws, it seems to be a willing worker.

56cc with an 8-tooth sprocket, running 3/8 full chisel on a 20" bar...a guy would think the saw would be pretty wimpy, but it really isn't. Seems to pull hard at a little lower rpm than some other Jonsered saws of the same general era...there's a big diff between this saw and the 535, for example, that isn't fully explained by the measly 7 cc's diff.

621 is a quite good firewood saw, able to handle about anything around. The downside of the 621 is that it has been discontinued for long enough now that a few service parts are getting tough to find. I'd not let that stop you unless the saw is in almost perfect shape...to nice to use. With reasonable care it should last a casual user forever.

Exactly!

For a 1968 basic design it is am amazing saw for its size! :rockn::rockn:

There are a few of us here that like Jonsered chain saws. I own a 621, and while I acknowledge it is heavier than some more modern saws, it seems to be a willing worker.

56cc with an 8-tooth sprocket, running 3/8 full chisel on a 20" bar...a guy would think the saw would be pretty wimpy, but it really isn't. Seems to pull hard at a little lower rpm than some other Jonsered saws of the same general era...there's a big diff between this saw and the 535, for example, that isn't fully explained by the measly 7 cc's diff.

621 is a quite good firewood saw, able to handle about anything around. The downside of the 621 is that it has been discontinued for long enough now that a few service parts are getting tough to find. I'd not let that stop you unless the saw is in almost perfect shape...to nice to use. With reasonable care it should last a casual user forever.
hope you get this. that's me this winter.

Back