Jonsereds 70e Newbie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holycow72

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Jonsereds 70e Newbie~need Help

Hello...I'm new to this site and the chainsaw world...

I have an old hand me down Jonsereds 70E...it has a spark plug and the bar is almost 20" long

Serial #1602875

I was told this last time it was used it ran, but that was probably 8-10 years ago.....

I'm debating selling it, or rebuilding it..is it worth trying to rebuild?

Where do I start as far as rebuilding...I'm not a small engine repair guy, but handy enough that I thought it would be a great winter project...and maybe end up with a working chainsaw...I would need a manual or guide of some sort to walk me through step by step...

If I sell it, what's it worth?

Any and all advise is much appreciated...thank you

Last edited:
Hello...I'm new to this site and the chainsaw world...

I have an old hand me down Jonsereds 70E...it has a spark plug and the bar is almost 20" long

Serial #1602875

I was told this last time it was used it ran, but that was probably 8-10 years ago.....

I'm debating selling it, or rebuilding it..is it worth trying to rebuild?

Where do I start as far as rebuilding...I'm not a small engine repair guy, but handy enough that I thought it would be a great winter project...and maybe end up with a working chainsaw...I would need a manual or guide of some sort to walk me through step by step...

If I sell it, what's it worth?

Any and all advise is much appreciated...thank you

If it has compression and spark, then you shouldn't need to do much rebuilding. You should check for both and then go from there. Remove the muffler to check for p/c scoring. Ignition modules are getting tougher to find for the 70e, so if it doesn't have spark, your job just got a little bit harder.

If it has both good compression and spark, then you will probably need to replace the fuel lines and rebuild the carb. If you are lucky, the seals will still be good so it should run after the regular maintenance stuff(spark plug, fuel filter, carb adjustment, grease clutch needle bearing, recoil rope).

I sold a running 70e for around $300 last fall(before the economy really tanked). They are a great saw. I have another one that I plan to work on when time permits.

The 70E is a great saw, and probably the best saw Jonsered ever built. Parts are available but some parts are scarce/pricey. If you want a winter project, that saw would be a good one. As bama mentioned, if you have spark and compression it should be an easy fix. Welcome to AS!!

Latest posts

Back