Jonsereds......Old Style....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have always thought the older non AV Jonsereds were goofy looking...........but as my "disorder" has progressed I have slowly come around to think I really like the swoopy "art deco" look and as you aquire a certain brand of saws you run out of horizon...and I'm way to cheap to get into anything even close to current and BIG...so I guess I am backsliding. However as I slide down that slippery slope I am encountering certain design features of much older saws that are much cleverer than one would have thought. This 601 Jonsereds I picked up off e-bay a couple of months ago...dirty and a broke recoil spring, no B&C, unknown mech condtion.
First set of pics as follows; This how the saw came to me....

that certainly is a right handed saw ,nvr noticed how the rear hand grip was so offset [my oldest is a 70e purchased new by me 11/80 still cuts excellent ] good luck bringing that oldie back to the future lol jk

So last Fri I had some time and decided to see what was what with this rig. First this not a restoration or rebuild...this is a get er' goin' thing. So the very first repair had to be the recoil as I could not tell any thing until this was fixed. So I took it apart and of course found a broken spring....put the heat to it and bent a new end on the spring. The truely cool thing about this recoil is the outer piece holds the spring and the inner piece holds the pulley, rope and intake screen. So in order to load the spring in the recoil you simply engage the spring end on the pulley pin, slip the whole thing together and rotate the outer housing whatever number of half turns it takes to get good spring tension and then install the two bolts. This is the cleverest recoil I have ever seen. I've seen quite a few...my first saw being a 1953 Lombard...a yr older than me!!

This is shown in pic 028!

The next pic is of the chain adjuster...it's in the clutch cover and very easy to get to.

Pic# 025

Then there is the "kill" switch..this is a momentary switch used to kill the motor and automatically returns to run when released. How many times have you pulled and pulled only to find you still have the switch "off"???

Pic # 027

I love the ex exit from th muffler!!!

Pic # 026

Just a side shot

Pic # 029

This saw had not been started since before we went to lead free gas. Once the recoil was fixed so I could tell she had fire, I pulled and replaced the fuel filter ( Very Bad) fueled her up and in 7-8 pulls she started right up and went right to idle happily. I did not remove or kit the carb...fuel lines passed a pressure test so I took it up to a friend of mines that has quite a bit of wood around and put her right into some dry 16" spruce...which she handled fine except running 50:1 ultra at WOT cutting cookies set the muffler afire!!! I cleaned the muffler up today and blew a huge amount of white buildup out of the muffler. For those of you who are not from the leaded fuel era...white buildup (especially in the tail pipe) was a way to tell the tune of your engine...white exhaust being very good, black exhaust meaning to rich. This saw is running perfact today ...no carb rebuild, fuel line, seals, or any of the stuff we do to every saw we get our hands on. I am very happy with this saw, it being the grandfather of the famous 621 and is the same bore, stroke and HP rating. It would seem these were very forward thinking and yet easily fixable in the field.

That is a good looking saw indeed, there is something about the 50's styling that is attractive (perhaps it's just older fellows like us that can truely appreciate it).

The XF that Roger Bennet had at Baraboo was equally sexy...

Mark

LOL You may be right!! This is rather mundane compred to an XF.....but different non-the-less!!

Ooh, that is nice. I like those old saws and their post war design. I guess those of us born in the fifties have been instilled with that kind of styling. I remember sitting in the back seat of Dad's customline thinking he looked like an astronaut behind the wheel. In my eyes that was a beautiful car - just like your old Jred.

Al.

I have never seen a spark plug cover on a 60/601/75/751, in any picture or on any saw.

They sold a lot of the 60/601s here, but they were replaced/supplemented by the better 62/621 design (with AV) after a couple of years (from 1968).

They really need an 8-pin 3/8, despite they are only 56cc....

I have never seen a spark plug cover on a 60/601/75/751, in any picture or on any saw.

They sold a lot of the 60/601s here, but they were replaced/supplemented by the better 62/621 design (with AV) after a couple of years (from 1968).

They really need an 8-pin 3/8, despite they are only 56cc....

In truth I really don't know if this is a 60 or a 601.....the fellow I got it from said 601 but it has no numbers or stickers that I have found. But it runs very well and cuts good just like a 621... even sounds the same. The other thing I found interesting is the cyl is mounted with studs and nuts rather than the regular bolts so there are no holes in the fins.

This one has 7 pin drum sprocket....I'll have to see what I have around..perhaps a rim drive from a 621 will fit, have to look into that.

Judging by the recoil, it's a 601. The 60 does not have the "screen", just louvers.
I love that Windsor bar.

AHHH!!! Good to know Thanks Eric!!

That bar came to me on a 70E that wasn't...it was a 66E...but no matter..it was a beat to death parts saw...the bar was quite new but the paint was real beat up so 20 mins on the buffer, and the paint went away and this what it ended up like!! LOL!! It goes right along with the rest of the saw!! LOL You can use words like "vintage" and "patina" or even "Old Style"!!

Latest posts

Back