Jotul F600 Firelight air control sticking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another update on the sticking air control. A friend who is aDiesel Engineer told me about grease/lubricants that are rated for high temperature use. The local hardware store had Permatex Anti-Sieze Lubricant rated to 1600 F. $3.50 for 4 oz with a cap brush for slathering on the faces. The control works well....we'll see when it goes cold again. Remember that the spray cans have a flammable propellant. That's attorney talk.

Anti-sieze performs a different function than what we're talking about here.
It's not really a lubricant...well kinda....mostly it's to keep two metal parts from rusting to each other. When first applied, it indeed "lubricates", but after awhile it WILL gum up and bind (personal experience) because it's not meant to "lube" sliding parts, but rather prevent two stationary parts from fusing together (bolts, nuts, spark plugs, etc.)

graphite graphite graphite.....can you tell what I really think?

The air control lever problems with the F600 and 500 Jotul stoves is a factory defect. I had a 500 last year with a 'sticking" handle. Some people have had success with lubrication, but most have not.

I informed my stove rep of the problem and admitted he knew nothing about such a defect.

A call to Jotul tech confirmed it is a defect. They have said they had the incorrect angle on the lever.. If you call the factory they will send you the re-designed lever at no charge.

Been there, done that. Hope this helps

The air control lever problems with the F600 and 500 Jotul stoves is a factory defect. I had a 500 last year with a 'sticking" handle. Some people have had success with lubrication, but most have not.
I informed my stove rep of the problem and admitted he knew nothing about such a defect.
A call to Jotul tech confirmed it is a defect. They have said they had the incorrect angle on the lever.. If you call the factory they will send you the re-designed lever at no charge. Been there, done that. Hope this helps

DITTO DITTO :clap: Call Jotul in Maine, ( 800.797.5912 THIS NUMBER IS ON A NEED TO KNOW BASIS, DO NOT DIVULGE IT UNDER PENALTY OF :monkey: )TELL the operator that you NEED to speak w the Regional Rep for the new air control parts. Our Maine rep called right back for our address, "it is in the mail". This is the 3rd time that Jotul has come through with exceptional customer service.....no questions, no discussion.:cheers:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING !!!!!

Anti-sieze performs a different function than what we're talking about here.
It's not really a lubricant...well kinda....mostly it's to keep two metal parts from rusting to each other. When first applied, it indeed "lubricates", but after awhile it WILL gum up and bind (personal experience) because it's not meant to "lube" sliding parts, but rather prevent two stationary parts from fusing together (bolts, nuts, spark plugs, etc.)

graphite graphite graphite.....can you tell what I really think?

Whattya think, CE. Should we use graphite ?:dizzy: :dizzy:

I have pictures!

My new F600 stove started sticking within a couple days of use. I was able to make it work for the first couple weeks if I use a small stick and tap the lever. I noticed the lever sticking even more the last couple of days and it even stuck going from right to left too. The sticking point is about 1/4 of the way from the far left.
I decided to stop using the stove for the day and took it apart when it cooled. Here are my pictures of the slide. I noticed a small amount of ashes that got in the slide area. I took a vacuum and cleaned it all out. I then put on graphite rather liberally until it slid nice and easy. I put all the parts back and made sure not to over-tighten the bolts in fear of the cast iron cover breaking or cracking.
I fired up the stove and it has worked good for the past 2 days. Hopefully it will stay that way.
I called Jotul and asked for the Michigan rep. I left a voice mail for him and have not heard back yet. I tried him before and have never had a return call. I have had 3 calls to Jotul and never had a return call as a matter of fact. I have only talked with the receptionist. They seem to want me to handle it through the dealer and I feel that I won't have much luck with them because they are over an hour away. Others have mentioned that the dealers are unaware of this problem.
Hop the pictures help.:biggrinbounce2:

I had the same problem with my Oslo. On another site I wrote:

"Fixed, so far.....

Quick update: I removed the sliding damper and polished the two “domes” or posts where the control lever rides. I used a dremel to do this. I also went back over where the damper slides on the stove body and polished those areas again. I did NOT use a stone, only a felt with some polishing compound.

I didn’t have any graphite lube laying around so I simply used a #2 pencil and lubed all the areas I just polished. I also cleaned out some very fine ash that had accumulated in the channels that the damper rides in.

After assembly is / was smoootthhh.... ahhhh.....

Still working well after weeks of 24/7 burning"

I need to try the "call Jotul" method and get the control level with the tweak in it! Been too lazy so far and just lube it with graphite every now and then.

Later,

JD

Latest posts

Back