Jred 625 locked up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvlogger

Rock trucker
Reaction score
i got a 625 I am working on and I believe there is a rust ring in the cylinder(pulled plug with my fingers it was so loose) Is there anything I should do to it before i run it? This may sound dumb But i am not a every day saw mechanic. i work on trucks.

I doubt you have rust in the cyl..the cyl is chrome or nikasil lined and won't rust...the rings are cast iron and can rust but there is nothing for them to rust to. Can you turn it over with a wrench?? If you can...pull the muffler and rotate the crank so the piston is all the way down..you should be able to see in the exhaust port and spark plug hole. With a flash light shining in one look in the other and you should be able to see a good percentage of the bore, some from each location.
I got a 630 awhile back that the seller said was locked up...and it was!! It had a brand new never fired spark plug in finger tight and when I looked in the hole there was a lot of fuzz and crap in the cyl but the piston was nearly all the way up. I filled it up with wd 40 and let it sit overnight. The next day I was able to turn the crank with wrench and much difficulty, about half a revolution. I pulled the four cyl bolts and the cyl slid right off!!! The piston was fine the bore was fine but the main bearings were froze and real rusty!! I put the whole thing in a box...I was wasn't to depressed as I bought it just for parts and was not expecting much...But I wasn't expecting that!!!

I would make sure your problem is in the P&C and not the lower end before I went any further. If you aren't satisified with what you see pull the cyl and get a good look. Easier to do it now than after it's blown up...

AHH!! Sounds good...she should go and be a good saw for you.

thank you fro the help I will get an update on it soon

Advice for next time: let some Kroil sit in there for 24 hours and try to spin it free by hand before trying the air ratchet. That stuff is amazing. Just spray it in through the plug hole.

I will do that I soaked it in PB Blaster overnight and used a hand ratchet to spin it over. minimal effort was required as i had the plug out and it was good and oiled

I doubt you have rust in the cyl..the cyl is chrome or nikasil lined and won't rust...the rings are cast iron and can rust but there is nothing for them to rust to. Can you turn it over with a wrench?? If you can...pull the muffler and rotate the crank so the piston is all the way down..you should be able to see in the exhaust port and spark plug hole. With a flash light shining in one look in the other and you should be able to see a good percentage of the bore, some from each location.
I got a 630 awhile back that the seller said was locked up...and it was!! It had a brand new never fired spark plug in finger tight and when I looked in the hole there was a lot of fuzz and crap in the cyl but the piston was nearly all the way up. I filled it up with wd 40 and let it sit overnight. The next day I was able to turn the crank with wrench and much difficulty, about half a revolution. I pulled the four cyl bolts and the cyl slid right off!!! The piston was fine the bore was fine but the main bearings were froze and real rusty!! I put the whole thing in a box...I was wasn't to depressed as I bought it just for parts and was not expecting much...But I wasn't expecting that!!!

I would make sure your problem is in the P&C and not the lower end before I went any further. If you aren't satisified with what you see pull the cyl and get a good look. Easier to do it now than after it's blown up...

Years ago, I got a saw that had some questionable main bearings as far as rust was concerned. As an experiment, I lubed, cleaned them out over the period of a few days. Put it back together and used it for a full season with no trouble. That was in the days before I worried about how bad crank bearings could affect a saw. Pretty neat that it worked, though.

Oh man bama....these ones are way beyond questionable..you can see the rust fallling out of the bearings when I turn it over. I have to put the case in a vice and use both hands to turn the crank with a 1/2" breaker bar!!!!! I do know what you mean though I have several that did clean up and are still running well but that was dryed up dirt and dust in the bearings and could be flushed out

Latest posts

Back