Junior woodsman in training

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some might remember a thread where I was seeking input on what age a kid could start cutting wood. He has been helping ever since he could walk but has never actually run a saw by himself. After careful consideration and some planning I decided that with the correct supervision, instruction and PPE that my son could do it. I would like to introduce the newest member of our family's cutting crew.
attachment.php

After a few hours of instruction I felt like I could pick up the camera and take a few pictures.
attachment.php

He is doing fine but still needs some coaching.
attachment.php

He is very at home on his grandfather's tractor and has been running it for two years the first year was a secret between him and his grandfather.
attachment.php

All in all a pretty good first day. I'm nowhere near ready to turn him loose but everybody has to start somewhere.

Last edited:
Hello,
Good for you...looks like he is all boy....at least he's not in the house playing video games 10 hours a day and he's not afraid to go outside and get some fresh air !!!!! If I had a boy, that's the way I would want him to be !!!!!

Henry and Wanda

nice pics, great that you are taking time with him, he will not forget that through out his life... well done. keep up the good work.

You chose the correct form to post this! In the chainsaw forum it would picked apart!

Looks good! He's dressed to the nines and ready for anything.

Way to go!!! Seems to me that this world needs a few more kids with work ethics such as yours. No better way to teach them, in my opinion, than sweatin' it out!:blob2:

That is absolutely OUTSTANDING! A strong work ethic will last him a lifetime. Keep teaching that boy the skills he'll need to be self-sufficient for the rest of his days. I sleep better at night knowing that regardless of what happens out there, my boy will NEVER be cold or hungry.

Fine looking young lad you have there. Plenty of PPE and the right size saw to start him with, looks like you will have a little lumber jack on your wooding team.A little rep for teaching your boy the way of the woods. How old is he?

Beefie

What?!? Are you NUTS?!? Letting a kid like that operate such dangerous equipment?!? You wacko! Do you have any idea what that will do to a kid? It will make him RESPONSIBLE and MATURE far beyond his peers. It will give him strength and dignity, not to mention bring your relationship much closer and stronger.
That's just not the politically correct way to do things these days, buster. You get right over to OSHA, PETA, ACLU, EPA and every other pointless government agency and apologize before you start a revolution of decent people training their kids up to be men. :rock:

It's tough to find chaps that fit a 10 year old! Looks like you hooked him up pretty good there... Rep sent.:msp_thumbup:

What?!? Are you NUTS?!? Letting a kid like that operate such dangerous equipment?!? You wacko! Do you have any idea what that will do to a kid? It will make him RESPONSIBLE and MATURE far beyond his peers. It will give him strength and dignity, not to mention bring your relationship much closer and stronger.
That's just not the politically correct way to do things these days, buster. You get right over to OSHA, PETA, ACLU, EPA and every other pointless government agency and apologize before you start a revolution of decent people training their kids up to be men. :rock:
You sir,are a gentleman and a scholar" The only person that I like more than you at this moment TonyK!!!!!:clap:

That's pretty good. I started running saws at 10 but I was running skidsteers at 8. I'm 14 now and can keep up with a lot of adults and I'm better than some on a skidsteer, excavators, and tractors. In another few years he's going to be asking for a 660 magnum for his birthday. Glad there's still a few kids like me left in this world.

I have to say that's the best picture I think I've ever seen. Good for you Dad he'll make a fine woodsman one day. You may need to keep an eye on him and Grandpa for awhile yet.

Latest posts

Back