Just a comment on the new gas cans...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I carry my bulk fuel in an Eagle 5 gallon safety can from Bailey's. It self vents in hot weather. I then decant into a Dolmar can (piggyback type) or MSR fuel bottles. I like the NO Spill can for the home weed whacker fuel but you have to remember to press the dispence button while the can sits upright, that is before you fuel the tool.

Just like anything else the EPA gets their hands on, they skrew it up. These new cans are junk, POS. Needless to say I am rat holeing every old school can I can right now.

If it aint broke, dont fix it. Or for a government agency, if it aint broke, then break it and call it a fix.

Just like anything else the EPA gets their hands on, they skrew it up. These new cans are junk, POS.
I wonder how many of you who complain about the new cans have actually tried a no-spill fuel can ?

You can vent any of the new cans by drilling a small hole near the top, but then the ethanol will absorb moisture from the air.

I wonder how many of you who complain about the new cans have actually tried a no-spill fuel can ?

You can vent any of the new cans by drilling a small hole near the top, but then the ethanol will absorb moisture from the air.

I had 2, I drilled a hole to vent, gas just spilled. Some like them. I don't. Anytime the government gets involved with something that is simple and works, like a gas can. It turns out like, well an epa gas can.

If you look closely you can see it says "STIHL" on the side....soooo...
I would guess he got at the Stihl dealer for mucho bucks!!

:cheers:
J2F

Bild_Kanister.bmp

Yes...Should be available at your STIHL Dealer.

This is a STIHL Combination Canister
UN-approved, transparent, double container for 5 litres of fuel and 3 litres of chain oil.
Includes 2 holders for tools and filling system.
No-Spill Chain Oil Filler System
No-Spill Fuel Filler System.

Works absolutely perfect!

Costs about 90$ in Europe but absolutely worth the money
Could be a bit cheaper in USA.

But hey...cheap things for show, STIHL for a Pro... :)

I can tell you the Parts Numbers if you wanna know...

Greetings from Bavaria.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Yes...Should be available at your STIHL Dealer.

You're right - it SHOULD be. The Husqvarna equivalent SHOULD be as well. But not in the U.S. - they're not allowed to be sold in this country.

:chainsaw:

-=[ Grant ]=-

Call me wierd, I like the new push to pour for filling saws. I too took the safety latch off, 5 seconds with a screwdriver.

They are a slow pour for the ATV or rider though.

Farm tractors, I still have a couple old school steel funnels that latch onto the tank cap latches, pull the stupid spout off and pour away, baby.

Diesel for the big tractor comes in a recycled 15 gallon soap container, with a twist the lever pour spout. It's square, so it sits flat on the hood while it fills, the only problem is hoisting it up there to begin with!

I remember many a leaky rubber hose spout on the old Eagle cans, maybe the "good old days" weren't all that good either.

I watched a guy wrestle with one of the new "push the nozzle down on the tank" cans last summer, trying to fill a string trimmer. He had to get a helper to hold the trimmer.

I went to the hardware store and looked at the new cans: at least that style has to be pushed pretty hard to get flow started, and pushing that hard will push a lightweight piece of equipment around.

Those caps with the green levers probably are better, and the local hardware store has another new style replacement spout that has to be twisted to open the spout to flow. Probably works pretty good: have to open while the can is sitting on the ground or pickup tailgate, so venting won't force pressurized fuel out.

But they're $10, and I didn't see them on any new cans. Buy a new crappy 2 gallon can for $18, then pay another $10 for a nozzle? I'll go back to used square metal gallon paint thinner cans first.

I bought the last old-style Scepter piggyback can he had a while back, and put old Eagle vented spouts on it. The Scepter came with crap nozzles that must be stored in the gas and the oil. I hate that. I have one of Wedco's dual cans and its just the same.

I used to have one of those chainsaw cans with a removeable bottom container. I wish I still did.

You're right - it SHOULD be. The Husqvarna equivalent SHOULD be as well. But not in the U.S. - they're not allowed to be sold in this country.

:chainsaw:

-=[ Grant ]=-

can you elaborate on why they are not allowed to be sold here? Id love to have a combo oil and mix can.

Call me wierd, I like the new push to pour for filling saws. I too took the safety latch off, 5 seconds with a screwdriver.

They are a slow pour for the ATV or rider though.

Farm tractors, I still have a couple old school steel funnels that latch onto the tank cap latches, pull the stupid spout off and pour away, baby.

Diesel for the big tractor comes in a recycled 15 gallon soap container, with a twist the lever pour spout. It's square, so it sits flat on the hood while it fills, the only problem is hoisting it up there to begin with!

I remember many a leaky rubber hose spout on the old Eagle cans, maybe the "good old days" weren't all that good either.

Yeah sure.....
Those cans work on front tank tractors, try one on a rear tanked orchard mule! :censored::censored::censored:

The new cans leave ya standing on the lift arms, while the stupid things gurgle and drip slower than I could spit the diesel into the tank, and the nozzles are weak enough to break if ya don't hold 'em just right.

You're right though, those flexi spouts would split in the winter if they got bent, and then pee all over the hood or down your leg.
The metal flexi's were worse as they would rust, and then break when flexed.

Y'all can keep those new cans.
I'm not giving in untill my stash wears out.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

can you elaborate on why they are not allowed to be sold here? Id love to have a combo oil and mix can.

CARB and EPA regs. on vent fumes.

All new cans and nozzles manufactured for sale must meet the new requirements of self venting nozzles, and old designs that are not self venting, are verboten for retail sale, or use by fed. regulated businesses.
Gas stations technicly are not supposed to be allowing folks to fill the old ones...

Govt.gone hippie stupid!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I now have a Scepter Eco fuel can (1 1/4 gal.) that I use. Previous "no spill" or eco type" containers spilled more than the old style cans. The Scepter is the first can that doesn't spill. I'm really pleased with it........

I now have a Scepter Eco fuel can (1 1/4 gal.) that I use. Previous "no spill" or eco type" containers spilled more than the old style cans. The Scepter is the first can that doesn't spill. I'm really pleased with it........
I haven't tried the Scepter -- got a pic ?

The nospill is the best gas jug I've ever used, before or after the new regs. No, it doesn't pour slow, it pours fine. Ya just gotta push the button to blow off excess pressure BEFORE pouring.
CARBCan.jpg

From Scepter's website......

160_07450.JPG

My only complaint is the cap for the nozzle can easily get lost, which mine has. I'll rummage through my shop and try to coble a cap for it.... I got mine at Walmart ($8-$10)....

I haven't tried the Scepter -- got a pic ?

The nospill is the best gas jug I've ever used, before or after the new regs. No, it doesn't pour slow, it pours fine. Ya just gotta push the button to blow off excess pressure BEFORE pouring.
CARBCan.jpg

I just received 5 of these cans to replace all my stinky sloppy spout cans. I first used one some time back when we rented a cut and break saw. The can (Honda branded) of gas came with the saw.

I like what was mentioned about using a clear one for bar and chain oil as well. Only problem I see is a lot of slow ooze/drip after the valve closes.

After I get some use on the units that I bought I'll likely expand to the larger sizes and more. I like that I can always get a new spout too if I should ever need one.

seems like a good unit.
if you don't want to post them, PM them to me?

thanks.

Too bad we can't get these from Stihl, here in the states. We switched to the No spill brand cans a few months back, and they are much better than the other brand we were stocking. About the same price but a whole lot easier to operate, especially when filling handheld equipment.

Latest posts

Back