Just a few photos for you - milling and results

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Bartley

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

I had the chance to snap a few digi-pics this week, so here they are :

1) A friend had a few White Pines taken down last year, so we've spent the last couple of months milling them - here's where we're set up :

MillSetupApril03.jpg

2) Yesterday we did a couple of small logs, one of which was a bit banana shaped and had a real big bark/branch inclusion, so we made few sets of book-matched boards :

BookMatchWhitePine.jpg

3) today we got to load something just a bit bigger (had to shave it with the chainsaw to make it fit... :) :

BigLogLoaded-01.jpg

BigLogLoaded-02.jpg

4) it made about 400bdft total, with an even dozen of them being 18"W x 12-1/2'L - here's two of them with my buddy standing beside them:

BigBoards-01.jpg

cheers eh?

Last edited:
Very nice John, thanks for posting. Nice lookin' stack of wood in that last pic you got drying there. Are you going to keep the top covered or just let them weather like that?

Very nice. Saw dust looks better in the snow. I like your log ramps. I can't wait to get out in the am and do some myself.

Hey guys :) ,

Thanks for the comments eh? I like looking at other folks pictures of mills and cutting, so I thought y'all might enjoy these. We are having a lot of fun, even thought the big logs can be brutally hard work!! We're going to cover the piles on the top only, but the covers will overhang the edges a bit so as to let rain drip off the edges. Once we're done cutting and we have some room in his yard again, we'll probably repile it all, and try to get everything levelled up and sorted out a bit better for width as well as length. It's a bit difficult getting down thru' the ice and snow to put the pile bases on level ground eh!

cheers for now eh?

Nice piles of lumber:cheers:

I know what you mean about scraping through the snow and ice. I want to set up my mill tracks for the summer but we still have to much snow and ice. I don't want to set it up and have it settle with the thaw. Oh well I guess it will be gone soon.

Nice setup you got there , nice pile of wood , I managed to salvage a few pieces of pine out of my bon fire pile today , nothing worth a photo though , yes I would imagine the weather around your parts would be on the improve , its really turning to crap in our area , the bottom of South Australia . It has been raining a fair bit over the last few weeks here , we had a 2 week heat wave , a week of fine weather , then 3 weeks of rain and storms I had a few trees come down , some of it will be worth milling , so much for Autumn , winters here . Cheers and thanks for the posting photos , Exelent . Cheers MM

that's some nice sawin' there. know what you mean on those big uns. hard to turn but worth it when you start takin' those wide boards off. did you and your buddy break a sweat workin' in that weather? great job, enjoyed the pics.

Back