just another pile of logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acer saccharum

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
For those of you who like pictures of a log pile.

Called my supplier last Thursday. I expected to hear him sing the blues about having no work and him telling me a few months for a load. Instead I heard machines going and he said he would call me back. Calls me back 2 hours later and says he has a load, guy who was to get it canceled, did I want it? Sugar maple, white and red oak and 2 red maple logs. Goes with out saying what my reply was. Saturday morning he delivered it. Some of the red oak look like it belongs in a mill. I'm going to feel guilty turning it into firewood. All done it ought to be about 6 cords.

I have some processing to do. :clap: :chainsaw:

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year to all.

IMGP7886Medium.jpg

IMGP7889Medium.jpg

What do ppl think? 1 cord of wood there? More? I am still working on my judging how much firewood there is with logs laying about like that.

My bet is 1.5 cords.

This is definitely in the list of pics that can be classified as firewood ####.

Nice looking logs..... 3 cords maybe. The closest thing for size reference is the tennis ball.

Using that I"m guessing the nice red oak on top, about 1-2 O'clock is 14" dia.

Getting logs delivered is nice, work the load at your own pace.

Thats some great looking wood to be sure! But if I had to guess...,I'd say about 1 1/2 cord. I took down a number of swamp white oaks this summer, that were 30"-36" diameter. And i'd say about a cord & a half out of each tree that size. Just a wild guess on my part.:clap:

Gregg,

how small will you split it? if it turns out near the size mine does i see at least 4. that bigger stuff adds up in a hurry.

Assuming the pile doubles in size when split and stacked, 3 cords is probably pushing it. Would be nice to know after it is processed

Somewhere between 1 and 10....:greenchainsaw:, I would say 2 is pushing it, but more close, let us know.
How'd you get that there wood may I ask? Are they sawmill rejects? I don't feel guilty about burning any wood!

No way no how there is more than 2 full cords there (4'x4'x8') if split and stacked normally between a set of posts. Criss crossing the ends would add some, but I'll stick to the prediction there is no more than 2 full cords. I am willing to bet money on that. :)

I guess the perspective is a bit off. The pile from left to right on the view from my deck measures 30' at its longest. Many of the logs are 20' long and 20" diameter. The truck was full to the top, albeit loaded a bit sloppy and there were a couple of pieces of kabuki that wasted space. It won't make 6 full cords but I'm confident it is more than 5. Came from a tree service. Harvested by crane. Clean as can be, some of it probably has never touched the ground.

The red oak that was guessed at being 14" is actually 20" and a little over 10 feet long. There are three of them. The sugar maple butt, 3rd from the left measures 25" at its narrowest point. That log was 20' long, it now is a bunch of billets so it is hard for me to figure DBH but it was over 20".

Latest posts

Back