just another pile of logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GET SPLITTING so we can find out how much it is!

Yup. That's the rule in this forum/ No postin log pics then disappearing so we're left twisting in the wind.

Top pic made me think maybe 3 cords - but the depth was deceptive. 2nd pic made me think more like 1.75, which I think might be more accurate.

But I'm prepared to be dazzled if you can make six out of that. So go on and dazzle me!

progress photo for you then

After 5 logs, not all the billets are in the photo. I think there were 90 and I count a few more than 60 here. 14" slices and a lot of sawdust.

IMGP7893Medium.jpg

Snow is looking like it will put a damper on my fun this weekend.

Well the last pic looks more like you should have 4-5 cords. Good score any way you look at it and should provide heat for the next heating season or too.:clap:

Beefie

Rep sent your way on a good score

I propose an interesting bet. People make their guesses. People within 10% of the final tally are declared "super firewood guessers". The rest of the folks that made a prediction but were off each have to send the OP $1 for beer to enjoy after cutting up all that wood. :)

Betting on firewood log piles is a favorite pastime in my family.

maybe he is talking about face cords not full cords ? I see maybe 2 cord there ! what did you pay for the load ?
I would love logs dropped in my yard to work whenever I want !
MD

I am humbled

Ok, I cleaned the sawdust off my glasses. I admit that I grossly overestimated what I have. I allow you to laugh at me while I try to explain my error.

This load looked about the same as my last load load. But previously I have been using 1 and 2 inch black iron pipe as stringers. This time it was logs as stingers. Instead of the wood being toe high off the ground it is shin high. There is a lot of empty space under it. I wanted to think this load looked as big as my previous load, but it is jacked up. Top of the pile might be as high but there is a lot less wood. Last load was 30 pieces and yielded 5.5 cords, this one is only 20. So let me re-estimate this while you continue to chuckle. For sake of this arguement let us assume that size of log pile must approximate the processed wood. Not quite correct, but for the grossness of my error it is applicable. If you have 6 cords, cut, stacked and split it will measure 8x24x4. If the logs must measure the same, I have the 8x24 part covered but I sorely lack the 4' part. In the end I'll be very lucky to stack 3 cords out of it.

I did bust up some of the billets with my fiskars today while it was snowing. I love being outside in the winter, working hard, but without sweat running down your brow. It is such a pleasure looking for that sweet spot on a 24" sugar maple billet then busting it in half with 1 or 2 swings. And then continuing to knock it into 12 or more pieces with single swings. You hear that nice -thunk- sound it makes when you hit it just right. And when you are really doing good, the piece you split falls away with a just a tweak of the axe as you pull it out, and the rest stays standing, so you can just keep swinging without setting things up on the block again.

And after I was done I opened up a bottle of this....Life is good, even if you can't eyeball a pile of wood. Cheers. :cheers:

delirium%20noel.jpg

After 5 logs, not all the billets are in the photo. I think there were 90 and I count a few more than 60 here. 14" slices and a lot of sawdust.

IMGP7893Medium.jpg

Snow is looking like it will put a damper on my fun this weekend.

I think its safe to say that you are going to have your work CUT out for ya! hahah looks like fun, have fun be safe!

I'll weigh in with my guestimate. 2.8 cords.

After I'm declared the winner DON'T mail me $bills, ship me $1 worth of firewood.

Back