Just bought a new house, I found EAB, what to do with ash trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JUSS10

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I just bought a house. It sits on two acres, 1 of which is completely wooded. I live in Michigan so I am aware of the fact that EAB is here in force, guess I just never noticed it or educated myself on it as we only had maples around the house growing up. I started to look at the trees and nearly all the ash trees are really thin and didn't really sprout leaves this fall. Some trees I can even see the borers on as well as the splitting bark, D shaped holes, weird growths coming out at the base of the tree, etc. Should I just cut down all the ash trees on the property? Most of the big ones look shot, Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some other reason they wouldn't grow leaves that I should just let them sit and see what happens next year. There are a few ash trees that still look ok, should I let those go and see what happens? Or is it time to sharpen the chains, fuel up the saws and drop some trees?

Thanks!

Justin

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 49
  • image_1.jpeg
    image_1.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 57
  • image_2.jpeg
    image_2.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 55
  • image_3.jpeg
    image_3.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 53
  • image_4.jpeg
    image_4.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 38
I have a lot of ash trees on my property, but the EAB has not been around nearly as long here, so I have some that are still worth saving. I agree that the trees shown in your pictures appear to be too far gone to invest the money to treat them. The general consensus I have read is that if there is more than 40% reduction in leaves in the canopy, the tree is probably too far gone to treat because the vascular system is too compromised to get the product into the tree effectively. Definitely a gamble to treat them when they are like that, and probably a waste of money that could be put into removing them.

Yeah, I think I may just take them all down on the property. From what I've gathered, here in Michigan, if the EAB hasn't gotten it yet, its only a matter of time. quite sad really. I have probably some 20-30 Large ash trees that will likely have to come down. We bought the house liking the extra acre of woods but looks like it will be getting pretty thin once the ash trees come out.

Someone told me to keep the saplings saying they may start to develop a defense to the EAB. Is that the case? I have quite a few saplings that are around 10" tall, 1-2" diameter that aren't showing any symptoms. Should I just let them be and see what happens?

Thanks!

Justin

Can't see where it would hurt to leave the saplings be to see what happens, but highly unlikely that one generation of ash trees could develop resistance to EAB. What might happen is that after all the untreated trees in the landscape are dead and the food source goes away the EAB population will crash and the pest pressure will be reduced. This might allow trees that have been treated and are healthy to extend the treatment schedule to 3 years or more with Tree-Age.

Looks like its time to plant some different species on the property then. I figured one generation wouldn't do it either but guess I'll see what happens.

Thanks!

Justin

2 disadvantages of leaving the sapings:
1) Future removal cost. Cheap and easy now...the larger they get the more difficult to remove. Probably won't to be so big that it is a major expense, and they probably won't get to be big enough for more firewood.
2) If the ash seedlings outcompete other species you are losing the opportunity to grow those.

I wouldn't spend too much time fighting the ash seedlings/saplings but if there are oak seedlings, I would cut around them to give those room to grow.

Can't see where it would hurt to leave the saplings be to see what happens, but highly unlikely that one generation of ash trees could develop resistance to EAB. What might happen is that after all the untreated trees in the landscape are dead and the food source goes away the EAB population will crash and the pest pressure will be reduced. This might allow trees that have been treated and are healthy to extend the treatment schedule to 3 years or more with Tree-Age.

Saplings will also die from the EAB. If the lst wave does not get them, second wave will. Remember, ONE female eab produces 80 million eggs per year. Ash trees do not have a chance.

Saplings will also die from the EAB. If the lst wave does not get them, second wave will. Remember, ONE female eab produces 80 million eggs per year. Ash trees do not have a chance.
:dizzy: Yowsers. I think you're off by a bit.

:dizzy: Yowsers. I think you're off by a bit.
Read that - Females can mate multiple times and egg laying begins a few days after the initial mating. Females can lay at least 60 to 90 eggs during their lifetime. Eggs are deposited individually in bark crevices on the trunk or branches. Eggs hatch in 7 to 10 days.

I don't see why not try to take care of a few seedlings and eliminate the remainder. Then plant a variety vs. several of the same species of other trees so as not to put all your eggs in 1 basket in case another insect or disease infects a species. I like to plant species with varying growth rates also so as they don't need all cut down at the same time when they get to old or big. I keep Silver Maples in front of my porch on the south as renewable shade. When they get bigger then I want, they get cut off and I allow a sucker to grow back, enough to shade the porch, which they do quickly. Rotate 4 and try to keep at least 2 higher then the roof. Makes a big difference to the temp inside the porch and I have enough shade to work comfortably just outside my door. I aim to get another species in there though, mine started as volunteers.

Latest posts

Back