just bought a used Split-Fire 255

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchuckcanuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
just bought a used Split-Fire 255 (pics)

New to the forum, been hovering around a little bit now and then when I have spare time or looking for some info in particular. We have a small private wood lot, Christmas Balsams, spruce and some hardwood. For us, we're justing our feet wet in forestry but we want to be able to at a minimum a healthy forest around us.

So, first thing was to combat the high energy prices for electricity (even though we have a high efficiency air-source heat pump). Reading reviews found here and elsewhere and based on the fact the Split-Fire is made here, we bought one from a local rental shop. The splitter is the #255, now called the 3255, and it cut through twisted gnarly 18 inch rock maple like butter. Quiet running too. Only thing is I'm 6ft and I have to stoop down to the bed height but its an easy fix with some scrap 2x12 and made some block to raise it us 4-1/2 inches.

The people at SF were very helpful and followup service was as it should be. A lot of businesses could take lessons from them.

Anyway, we're on to making cribs to store the 8-10 cords of wood we'll need to keep a 2yr rotation on hand. Then its onto getting the wood, chunk it, split it, stack it. Then there's the thinning of trees, transplanting, and so on. I'm sure I'll have questions along the way. :)

Woodwork Safely,
Jim Barry
woodchuckcanuck.com

Last edited:
welcome and congrats on the splitter.. they sure make life easier.

:cheers:

Can you get down and take some inside photos?

For the ones of us that might like to try to fabricate one like it? I am unsure as to how the pin the rod to the moving wedge and how the wedge fits within then tube.,. Thanks.. Eric

New to the forum, been hovering around a little bit now and then when I have spare time or looking for some info in particular. We have a small private wood lot, Christmas Balsams, spruce and some hardwood. For us, we're justing our feet wet in forestry but we want to be able to at a minimum a healthy forest around us.

So, first thing was to combat the high energy prices for electricity (even though we have a high efficiency air-source heat pump). Reading reviews found here and elsewhere and based on the fact the Split-Fire is made here, we bought one from a local rental shop. The splitter is the #255, now called the 3255, and it cut through twisted gnarly 18 inch rock maple like butter. Quiet running too. Only thing is I'm 6ft and I have to stoop down to the bed height but its an easy fix with some scrap 2x12 and made some block to raise it us 4-1/2 inches.

The people at SF were very helpful and followup service was as it should be. A lot of businesses could take lessons from them.

Anyway, we're on to making cribs to store the 8-10 cords of wood we'll need to keep a 2yr rotation on hand. Then its onto getting the wood, chunk it, split it, stack it. Then there's the thinning of trees, transplanting, and so on. I'm sure I'll have questions along the way. :)

Woodwork Safely,
Jim Barry
woodchuckcanuck.com
How come the split chunks of wood don't jam into your 4 wheeler?

How come the split chunks of wood don't jam into your 4 wheeler?

Because the wedge moves and splits the wood...........the wood is not pushed across a wedge.

I have one and it works great..........would be nice if the tongue was just a little longer but no wood ever hits my atv.

Look at the photos again and it should be clear. Or go to split-fire.com and go to their videos link...........seeing one in action will really clear up any confusion.

Waylan

We bought ours from a rental store as well. We had rented it a few times, so when they went out of business, we went to the auction and bought it. The back and forth action makes things go much faster.

Saw this from the road as we were driving by searching.
IMGP0288.jpg

Behind it was over 60 feet on the ground.
IMGP0291.jpg

Some in this truck and the rest in mine.
IMGP0283.jpg

Then split it all up with the Split-Fire 255.
IMGP0253.jpg

Back