Just getting Started, Need Used Chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

26newtreeguy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I looking to buy chipper with next month. I was wounding if anyone have good advice about chipper. I know nothing about safety that I should look for on chippers. Do you Pro out their think I should go with gas or diesel(or beaver because they work for free). I buy the way just getting started. I don't want something to big or small. I going to be cutting down mostly hardwood because I live in New England. So i will being sell cord wood. I'am going to be buy truck 2500-3500 diesel tow the chipper. Hope to get of to good start I only 26 don't know hole lot about chippers. Thanks for you help.

Since you know nothing about safety of chippers, here's my first and foremost piece of advise:

CALL 2-3 DIFFERENT CHIPPER MANUFACTURERS AND REQUEST A CHIPPER SAFETY VIDEO! WATCH IT OVER AND OVER AND OVER........

Until then, stack your brush (limbs, etc) on a trailer.

Best of luck!

Dude, Welcome to the forum, please tell me that's a typo in your username, Now's the time to fix it.

Chipper

For a chipper I would get a used 9" disk Bandit. The 9" chipper is not to heavey for your truck and it won't kill your truck engine with a load of chips if your chipping into it. I wouldn't wanna go bigger. Unless you are goin to get a truck that you dont care to beet up. And what is your price range thats a big factor to.
O and by the way don't look at any drum chippers unless they have feed wheels. If they have the name whisper dont get it. No offense to the guys that have them but rookies shouldn't use them without experience.

Look here in used equipment for a 9" bandit. www.banditchippers.com

Husky, that's a complete pile of horsecrap.

By a very far margin, whisper chippers rack up alot fewer deaths than feed-wheel machines... ESPECIALLY rookies.

The chipping capacity and chip quality that can be obtained are very impressive when you consider the weight/HP ratio. So's the virtual lack of needed maintainance.

Oh, NEWFIE!!! Where ya at?

NeTree said:

Laying low, trying not to get sick, waiting for more god ???? snow to plow.

I like Erik's chuck n' duck for small stuff. Much faster than my hydraulic feed drum. I however prefer my chipper when feeding logs and whole tops.(at least when the autofeed is working properly)

If you are planning to keep the wood as firewood, I would go with the Chuck and Duck. Lower start up cost, less maintainence and when set up right will get the job done. The self feeders are able to chip more wood and larger material but the maintainence is higher. As a startup, I would go with the whisper and move up as needed. Good luck.

I would buy a chuck & duck if starting out also. My chuck & duck is set up NETREE style ( .015 gap ) and my chips are much easier to fork out of the back of my truck than the chips I had from my disc chipper. The chips from a drum chipper are much finer and easier to move around IMO.
Chuck & ducks ROCK!!!!!! :blob2:

NeTree said:
Husky, that's a complete pile of horsecrap.

By a very far margin, whisper chippers rack up alot fewer deaths than feed-wheel machines... ESPECIALLY rookies.

The chipping capacity and chip quality that can be obtained are very impressive when you consider the weight/HP ratio. So's the virtual lack of needed maintainance.

Yes that might be true but he said he knows nothing on saftey and what would you rather learn on? A disk or drum? O and just because you dont have enough money to buy a disk dont be complaining to me.

I'd rather my new guys learn on the drum than either disc.

But then... I hire guys smart enough to not shove their body parts in the machine to begin with.

;)

( Money??? :laugh: )

I finally took the time to set my chipper to almost NE's settings. Set the blades to .25" protrusion, and flipped the cutter bar. Set the gap to credit card width. The Dairy farmer who takes most of my chips thought I bought a new chipper :cool: . He set a load of sycamore chips aside for his wifes flower beds. Don't need no stinkin chipper payment :p.

Latest posts

Back